Evans critics

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Chompy

Evans critics

Post by Chompy » 19 Aug 2018, 09:07

Genuine question.

There was a lot of unrest last season after he came in.

Are you starting to change your opinion?

DaveLister
Second Technician

Re: Evans critics

Post by DaveLister » 19 Aug 2018, 11:45

Chompy wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 09:07
Genuine question.

There was a lot of unrest last season after he came in.

Are you starting to change your opinion?
As you've said before, I was vocal on the subject.

I've said many times since, if he gets us promoted nobody will care about what went before - Ian Holloway said last night that love him or loathe him, Evans gets the job done.

The team he's created has made a good start for sure, but if I'm to make a criticism, it's that in the two games I've seen (Bristol Rovers and Luton) we seem to be flying out of the blocks at the start and inviting pressure in the second half. Better teams than Rovers would have left with a point on the opening day.

Steamy Nin

Post by Steamy Nin » 19 Aug 2018, 12:40

DMac has appointed him with the best interests of the club at heart, therefore SE has my full support.

OBM

Post by OBM » 19 Aug 2018, 13:02

I was in favour of the appointment of Steve Evans, and in favour of the clear out, there was something not quite right in the dressing room, although we lost some players we would rather have kept it looks to have been a financial success and left us with a better squad which will hopefully develop into something special.

We are playing more direct, but it is not hoofball, just got rid of some of the risks.

To answer the question I was 60/40 and am now 70/30, someone said the other day that Evans looked like a heart attack waiting to happen so would like to see him look after his own health a bit better, he has got a lot of work to do.

I do believe he has the bulk of the support of Posh fans but as usual the anti crowd are always the noisiest.

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 19 Aug 2018, 17:32

OBM wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 13:02
I was in favour of the appointment of Steve Evans, and in favour of the clear out, there was something not quite right in the dressing room, although we lost some players we would rather have kept it looks to have been a financial success and left us with a better squad which will hopefully develop into something special.

We are playing more direct, but it is not hoofball, just got rid of some of the risks.

To answer the question I was 60/40 and am now 70/30, someone said the other day that Evans looked like a heart attack waiting to happen so would like to see him look after his own health a bit better, he has got a lot of work to do.

I do believe he has the bulk of the support of Posh fans but as usual the anti crowd are always the noisiest.
They really are not though.
They are regarded with a mixture of bewilderment and disbelief with no little disdain.
That may change if we lose 5 on the trot of course :lol:

White G

Post by White G » 19 Aug 2018, 20:56

Evans was always the choice for winners. He's not a nice guy, but he doesn't come last! I'd rather be successful than win Fair Play awards.

john316z

Post by john316z » 20 Aug 2018, 17:51

I was delighted when he arrived and happy for him to be as obnoxious as he likes if he gets results. I'm not bothered by his chequered past other than his success in getting teams promoted. I hear the fact that he makes digs at the club prior to joining but wonder if fans would care if it was anyone other than GM. He has started well this season. Long may it continue. I'm not really a convert as I was hooked when he arrived last season. To be fair everyone will be hooked too if we keep winning.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 20 Aug 2018, 22:35

As Ian Holloway said on Saturday night...

"Like him or loathe him, he gets the job done".

Those that loathe him will be back when we lose.

poshwomble

Post by poshwomble » 21 Aug 2018, 23:03

I must admit, as someone who ghosted around on this forum as a guest for a couple of years, things really did get knocked into twelfth gear when SE joined!

It’s been interesting seeing a lot of you slowly warming to him (as a manager less than a human!) over time.

As a Wimbledon fan by day, (I sneak off and cheat of them with The Posh in the evenings!) we don’t particularly like Evans either, the Crawley version - after steam rolling the Conference with that outrageous playing budget and copping £1m for their 1-0 loss at Old Trafford in the cup just to really make it hurt. He was disrespectful to us then, was entirely unapologetic when Hope Akpan broke Jason Prior’s leg, effectively ending his chances of making in in the league and generally just a bit of a buffoon.

You know what though? He did a great job at Mansfield and he isn’t the first outspoken manager. It’s all mind games, he loves to be the scapegoat. He’s got a humorous side (see Sombrero @ Leeds) and boy can he get results.

I don’t know what goes on with Dmac and Barry but I don’t believe there is a more backed manager in League One or arguably the next level up. Burton must have earned a few quid up there the last couple of years but the investment has been appalling and it shows. Evans can talk the talk, hence why the Scottish brigade have all moved to Peterborough and signings like Dembele and Woodyard are just out of this world.

Now he’s starting to walk the walk, 4 out of 4, and yeah - he may trip at some point but I’ve not been this excited for a Posh season in years. (It’s a long running affair!)

I for one, would die to see this sort of investment and belief at Wimbledon but I think we are just happy to survive in League One until the new stadium is complete and we can get a long term strategy in place.

Up the Posh!

matt404

Post by matt404 » 22 Aug 2018, 18:05

The real mark of the manager and his team will be how they respond to losing a game or two. Last year we didn’t respond at all. Hopefully this year will be different.
Christopher Kannnnnnuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 22 Aug 2018, 18:46

Won't come into play matt, pretty sure we'll go unbeaten all season under Unkie Steve's leadership.

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 23 Aug 2018, 03:10

Chompy wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 18:46
Won't come into play matt, pretty sure we'll go unbeaten all season under Unkie Steve's leadership.
:lol:

john316z

Post by john316z » 24 Aug 2018, 12:40

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/spo ... -1-8612900

Nice change that there is a sense of togetherness in the squad and dressing room

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 24 Aug 2018, 14:21

They were saying it last season after the infamous BBQ, but this season it's believable and evident on the pitch.

Nothing would please me more than tearing GM and his new team a new one.

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 25 Aug 2018, 08:54

Chompy wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 14:21

Nothing would please me more than tearing GM and his new team a new one.
It must be lovely to have such a small thing as this as the height of ones pleasures and expectations

Let’s hope your pleasure level is matched and let’s hope we beat Doncaster

I hope for much more