Rochdale v Poshies

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

White G

Re: Rochdale v Poshies

Post by White G » 11 Aug 2018, 17:10

Since when did Mark O'Hara become a goal machine? I remember him as a fairly solid but limited centre half at Kilmarnock.

Gazza8

Post by Gazza8 » 11 Aug 2018, 18:07

Great victory in Rochdale. Two matches, two victories. Perfect start.

Gazza8

Post by Gazza8 » 11 Aug 2018, 18:09

There were lot of moves in the team but the feeling on the pitch between players begins to be good. No flamewar because it remains 40 matches league to play. But it's a very good start.

poshwomble

Post by poshwomble » 11 Aug 2018, 18:25

Honestly, Steve Evans must play too much Football Manager. He has assembled an absolutely ridiculous side for this level. What a fantastic result today, great to see Godden on the scoresheet again... unassuming, two in two, no one is expected to do what JM did last season but do strongly believe Godden will pull up a few trees this season at this level, and goals will always help when adjusting to playing higher up.
O’Hara just appears to be a complete monster, and presumably his freedom to get forward is due to Woodyard being solid in the centre of the park.
Looking forward to seeing the goals from this one!

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 11 Aug 2018, 18:54

We won't be getting carried away of course...We had a similar start last season.

You get the impression that this side is less flaky though...Physically and mentally stronger.

Who do we thank for that I wonder.....

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 11 Aug 2018, 19:39

still in the play off places

still above sunderland and behind doncaster

should we declare now?

stuie

Post by stuie » 11 Aug 2018, 20:35

superposh80 wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 18:54
We won't be getting carried away of course...We had a similar start last season.

You get the impression that this side is less flaky though...Physically and mentally stronger.

we have a defence, at last
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

poshnipper
Nippoderator

Post by poshnipper » 12 Aug 2018, 05:49

Great awayday to start our campaign. :clap2:
Hard to pick a man of the match, I thought. One of the back line perhaps but no the front line were in with a shout. Toney for making the space for our last goal? Maybe Dembele? Chapman? Nah what about the midfield? . What about Evans beating his heart/badge at the end? Us number 12’s for urging them on? Easier to pick them all. Hope that’s allowed :comeon:
I really enjoyed it.
Great to see everyone again before the match.

4-1. Made an even sweeter victory after a ‘dale fan was seen on Twitter tweeting “no wonder they’re called Cheatborough” Good grief, where’s he get that from? Shame on them for pouring out and deserting their players 5 minutes before the final whistle.
We go again...
Proud to be POSH

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 12 Aug 2018, 08:06

I'd give Kgosi a good score for missing the sitter which could have given us a fraught ten minutes at the end and we are not good at those

I was impressed that the back four handled most things, though their attack were not so incisive

and they were well protected by those in front

dembele's three crosses in the first half caused chaos and turned the game but a better defence would have handled them better

and the goals were all well taken, albeit straightforward

ashman

Post by ashman » 12 Aug 2018, 08:23

Slow old journey at times on the A1 but arrived at The Crown Oil Arena and, as usual, were enthusiastically welcomed into the Ratcliffe Bars, pre match.
The usual fish and chips were hurriedly consumed outside the stadium (dare I say that the fish I had was not up to their usual standard but the chips were as always superb!) before entering the ground at the Willbutts Lane Stand. Why Rochdale insist on opening up the right hand part of the stand instead of the middle section is anybody's guess?
The first 20-25 minutes was an almost carbon copy of the second half against Bristol Rovers and sure enough after a quarter of an hour we were 0-1 down. Whether it was a penalty or not is impossible to tell as we were so far from the incident and the highlights don't help either. This seemed to jolt us out of our slumbers and from then on we managed the game in a professional manner.
Dembele was really fizzing and, as opposed to last week when he seemed to shy away from getting a shot in, was in a goal hungry mood. He produced a great cross for Cummins to equalise and well done Cummins for finding that amount of space and planting a superb header into the net. Less than ten minutes later and Godden bravely won the header that the towering O'Hara powered home to give us the lead. Godden scored the third himself just before half time, following a Dembele free kick that the keeper generously spilled!
Calvin Andrew and Aaron Wilbraham will certainly worry a lot of League 1 defences but Taff and Bennett were definitely boss of the Rochdale forwards. Despite a lot of Rochdale possession, Godden saw a superb volley well saved by Lillis in the home goal. The icing on the cake was a second goal, superbly dispatched by our new leading league scorer O'Hara, after he dispossessed the full back and Toney, on as a sub for the last 15 minutes, turned the ball back to him after wrestling the ball away from the centre back.
It was a very good start to the away season and the return journey was a lot quicker too!
p.s. Maybe Kgosi is still a Poshie after all! :D

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/11 ... terborough
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 12 Aug 2018, 08:52

stuie wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 20:35
superposh80 wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 18:54

we have a defence, at last
No Stuie....We have a football manager at last.

But Shhh... We'll keep it quiet and let those that didn't want him find out for themselves.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 12 Aug 2018, 09:36

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt-I4Gxs2Ds

Steve Evans view of the game, why can't he look at the camera?
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 12 Aug 2018, 10:54

bristleposh wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 09:36

Why on earth would he look at the camera when he is talking to a human being?
I have done many interviews and the first thing you are told is do not look at the camera.

Shame Mr Evans still found time to have a dig but it must be a default reflex for him.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 12 Aug 2018, 11:49

Peterborough "An Excellent Side"....

Keith Hill.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 12 Aug 2018, 12:31

Wycliffe wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 10:54
bristleposh wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 09:36

Why on earth would he look at the camera when he is talking to a human being?
I have done many interviews and the first thing you are told is do not look at the camera.

Shame Mr Evans still found time to have a dig but it must be a default reflex for him.
Who exactly was it on the floor to his left hand side, which was where he was looking for the most part.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761