Re: Poshies v Bristol Rovers

Post by bristleposh » 04 Aug 2018, 17:50

Narrowboat Dave wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 16:56
Rovers with a late goal, but it’s

2-0

3 points

Job Done.
Not as bad as Charlton last year, so far so good, no points dropped from winning positions. For some reason despite having paid for iFollow I wasn't able to get the pictures. Listening to the Radio Scum commentary there were some solid performances for them Woodyard outstanding. I wasn't too happy with their comments about Bennett. Front two, midfield two sounded good and Dembele sounded to be over elaborate. Look forward to seeing them at Plymouth
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 04 Aug 2018, 18:00

Off to a great start with a goal in the first minutes, a second from a great glancing header by O'Hara but a very poor second half performance with little goal threat offered by Posh.
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From Happy Valley to the Slough of Despond. :roll:

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 04 Aug 2018, 18:01

Woodyard is outstandingly good.

Expected better from Naismith, otherwise Colin Daniel deserved MOTM and the CBs untroubled largely.

O'Hara's numbers were amazing. 9km in the first half! Noticed he was struggling after about 70 but no surprise considering.

Love Dembele's work but the groaners have taken him on as their LDSL replacement. Can't you rtrds stop yourself groaning when the ball's given away? It's like 'we want an exciting player but one who only does good stuff and never makes mistakes'.

The ball he put in for Cummings with the outside of his boot was as good as anything MM can do.

We are a very different animal this season. Ruthlessly efficient, big and able to defend. We won't be conceding many this season and will win a lot of games at home.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 04 Aug 2018, 18:04

Chompy wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 10:55

Champan; Daniel Taff Yorwerth Naismith; Woody O'Hara Dembele XXXX; Godden Cummings

Just one spot to fill in then. Ward maybe? Easy.
Ooh, so close!

Disappointed in Sam Edwards re: Kayden Jackson being a possible signing in the coming days. He's normally much better researched than that.

If Ipswich were priced out at £2m and couldn't stretch to the £2.5m being asked, I'd say it's unlikely we'll get there.

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 04 Aug 2018, 18:19

Poshay wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 18:00
Off to a great start with a goal in the first minutes, a second from a great glancing header by O'Hara but a very poor second half performance with little goal threat offered by Posh.
Good summary, 2nd half dreadful. :evil:
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 04 Aug 2018, 18:24

No it wasn't. We were always in control against a flooded midfield. Honestly don't know what some folk see.

poshnipper
Nippoderator

Post by poshnipper » 04 Aug 2018, 18:40

I think after scoring 2 in the first 45, we just hoped we’d add to it in the 2nd.

Great result. Lovely 3 points in the bag. :clap: :clap:
We go again...
Proud to be POSH

Sheriff Fatman

Post by Sheriff Fatman » 04 Aug 2018, 19:59

I was there today and thought it was a fantastic result given the extreme heat conditions in the first proper match of the season. So many positives and great performances that I think we can forgive the 2nd half performance. I am optimistic about this season with this manager and current squad. Wal #ifwecouldget1player #crouch yours???

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 04 Aug 2018, 21:14

Chompy wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 18:24
No it wasn't. We were always in control against a flooded midfield. Honestly don't know what some folk see.
They had 18 shots on goal, we had 6,...………..they had 6 corners and we had one. That is what I saw. :roll:
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 05 Aug 2018, 02:32

Brianposh wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 21:14
Chompy wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 18:24
They had 18 shots on goal, we had 6,...………..they had 6 corners and we had one. That is what I saw. :roll:
Whatever makes you happy I guess.

ashman

Post by ashman » 05 Aug 2018, 06:32

Chalk and cheese those two halves. Never mind, three points and it can only get better. On to Rochdale, very much a fans favourite.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 05 Aug 2018, 07:58

In unspectacular fashion we managed the game defensively and saw out the win.
I'd like to think that had Rovers scored earlier we'd have reacted well and still won but like the doomsayers I don't know.

Really enjoyed the first half, some people have to differentiate between a long ball and a hoof, the ball into space was hurting the opposition and whilst we have no CMS type of player to chase these passes down both forward were willing to give it a go and first period it turned the Rovers two immobile centre halves round.

Dembele showed a lot first half and it was nice to see him take the easy option if he had to and not to wave his arms in frustration any time a pass was not read by a colleague.
If has been hinted MM could be seen in a POSH shirt again (which I still doubt) I'm not sure we'd see him and Dembele in the same 11.

Defence did indeed look strong albeit against a player who was a laffing stock, truly awful and whilst in the past his hard work could always be admired even that seems to have disappeared.

However, I am glad Naismith in particular wasn't facing anyone decent but he wasn't awful as such just a bit cumbersome and wasteful.

Midfield was also strong , unimaginative perhaps but in charge first half and willing to put a shift in during the second when for the first part they were outnumbered.

Two excellent goals and I am sure there is more to come.

Now looking forward to lovely Rochdale :clap:

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 05 Aug 2018, 08:51

I felt steve's interview gave a fair reflection of what he saw

he knows there were some shortcomings and that his team is still work-in-progress until it properly gels.

i understand we still need some strengthening, and perhaps some magic

port vale's striker did well , and so did the hat trick chap at swindon

a 2-1 win was probably the least we should have hoped for. we need to stop goals going in from 80 minutes onwards

but we are in the playoffs and if we go on like this then, on the statistics to date, we will remain unbeaten at the end of the season

we are above sunderland and below doncaster

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 05 Aug 2018, 11:33

Firstly... Congratulations to Chompy who's landed a right touch on O Hara scoring... Hopefully everyone else joined Bristol and myself and had a few quid on.

As for the game... I'll concentrate on the positives. Comfortable home win and some decent performances especially from Godden who was excellent on and off the ball as well as his well taken header... We've got another striker on our hands here.

Cummings started OK...but isn't match fit and was blowing out of his arse in the second half.

I liked Daniel.Woodyard.Dembele.O Hara...I want to see improvement from Chapman. Naismith.and Bennett.

A good little cameo from Cooke who helped shore up a midfield that was getting outnumbered for much of the afternoon.

I agree with those that say it's just too early to judge... Let's see where we are after a dozen games.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 05 Aug 2018, 13:11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WFeeMGXiv8

Just seen the highlights apart from the two goals it looks like all the goal action came at the wrong end
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761