Alex Woodyard
45%
Jason Naismith
18%

Total votes: 11

Chompy

Club captain

Post by Chompy » 04 Jul 2018, 15:49

Take your pick. Choice of three apparently.

ashman

Re: Club captain

Post by ashman » 04 Jul 2018, 15:57

I hope that the armband is not decided upon until at least after the pre-season games. The last two year's choices have been appalling. The boss needs to really see how these players react in game situations before deciding.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 04 Jul 2018, 16:36

I only know the strengths of Taffy, the young fullback may not have the experience. As for Woodyard I’ve never liked him in Eastenders.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

stuie

Post by stuie » 04 Jul 2018, 22:22

not in the know enough to comment
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

ashman

Post by ashman » 04 Jul 2018, 22:23

stuie wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 22:22
not in the know enough to comment
Nobody is. I just hope they take their time choosing the correct character.

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 05 Jul 2018, 06:35

ashman wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 15:57
I hope that the armband is not decided upon until at least after the pre-season games. The last two year's choices have been appalling. The boss needs to really see how these players react in game situations before deciding.
The last selection was a correct one for club captain.
Popular, a good organiser, an excellent example to the other players particularly with his community work and all in all as i say and imo the type any supporter would want as the club captain which is what this thread is about.
A club captain is responsible for the good atmosphere in and around the players and is used as a conduit between the squad, the supporters and management which is something nobody can deny Jack Baldwin did extremely well.

However, in the case of Jack he was unable to replicate all his good work off the pitch on it and this is another question as to who will be the best team captain a totally different responsibility.

As others I have no knowledge of the new players worthiness or otherwise as the captain of the team on the pitch.

The value of the skipper in football can be massive but the likes of Mick Halsall are one in a million, in general the captain's role in the great game are nowhere near as important as in say rugga rugga rah rah or cricket.
Whilst it is a bit more than tossing a coin any manager would want 11 captains on the pitch, personally I see Taff as a very quiet lad on the pitch and certainly historically skippers have been more influential than he seems to be on the pitch by being vocal.
Some lead by example, Harry Kane for example is not someone who would ever have been the team leader in years gone by and normally the best player being captain was something one saw in kids football.

All in all I have contributed nothing to the discussion but I do agree Evans will be watching the friendlies but also at training when a leaders influence can also be seen.

A club captain can be separate from a team captain is what I am saying and in doing so i am defending Jack's appointment last season in that role.

ashman

Post by ashman » 05 Jul 2018, 06:47

Wycliffe wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 06:35
ashman wrote:
Popular, a good organiser, an excellent example to the other players particularly with his community work and all in all as i say and imo the type any supporter would want as the club captain which is what this thread is about.
A club captain is responsible for the good atmosphere in and around the players and is used as a conduit between the squad, the supporters and management which is something nobody can deny Jack Baldwin did extremely well.

However, in the case of Jack he was unable to replicate all his good work off the pitch on it and this is another question as to who will be the best team captain a totally different responsibility.

As others I have no knowledge of the new players worthiness or otherwise as the captain of the team on the pitch.

The value of the skipper in football can be massive but the likes of Mick Halsall are one in a million, in general the captain's role in the great game are nowhere near as important as in say rugga rugga rah rah or cricket.
Whilst it is a bit more than tossing a coin any manager would want 11 captains on the pitch, personally I see Taff as a very quiet lad on the pitch and certainly historically skippers have been more influential than he seems to be on the pitch by being vocal.
Some lead by example, Harry Kane for example is not someone who would ever have been the team leader in years gone by and normally the best player being captain was something one saw in kids football.

All in all I have contributed nothing to the discussion but I do agree Evans will be watching the friendlies but also at training when a leaders influence can also be seen.

A club captain can be separate from a team captain is what I am saying and in doing so i am defending Jack's appointment last season in that role.
I can only endorse what you say Adi, and I spent a good few minutes chatting to Jack last night. He was, as ever, a very pleasant young man. When asked if he had anywhere to go next season his demeanour fell a touch as he is going nowhere ATM. I had photos of the squad with me and he took the time to point out who would be playing each half and told us their names.
Surprise, surprise, he then appears in the second half and played the full 45 mins. A wonderful CLUB CAPTAIN!

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 05 Jul 2018, 07:20

ashman wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 06:47
Wycliffe wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 06:35
ashman wrote:

I can only endorse what you say Adi, and I spent a good few minutes chatting to Jack last night. He was, as ever, a very pleasant young man. When asked if he had anywhere to go next season his demeanour fell a touch as he is going nowhere ATM. I had photos of the squad with me and he took the time to point out who would be playing each half and told us their names.
Surprise, surprise, he then appears in the second half and played the full 45 mins. A wonderful CLUB CAPTAIN!
Yeah I was surprised to see him play.

Never say never , he's tall enough :D

john316z

Post by john316z » 05 Jul 2018, 07:57

Shame Jack couldn't cut out the defensive blunders from his game, which has caused him being made available. Seemed very passionate about the club. Never say never isxtruw but unless that part of his game can be improved in sad to say he represents a liability to our defence.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 05 Jul 2018, 09:33

As long as he inspires controlled but positive football, I'll be happy.

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 05 Jul 2018, 10:12

Chompy wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 09:33
I'd imagine that is primarily the management's job.

His job as captain will be to cajole, bollock, inspire and remind his team of their responsibilities.

Oh yeah, and toss a coin

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 05 Jul 2018, 11:12

I'd prefer one of the new lads to get it to be fair.

Tafazoli is a decent enough defender but was part of a disappointing team last season.

Fresh start and all that....

ashman

Post by ashman » 05 Jul 2018, 11:54

superposh80 wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 11:12
I'd prefer one of the new lads to get it to be fair.

Tafazoli is a decent enough defender but was part of a disappointing team last season.

Fresh start and all that....
Exactly. That has been the problem for the past two years. Taff should have been made skipper when he came in June 2016. I think he was captain when he was at Mansfield, in which case it puts him in the forefront of Evans thinking as the next skipper.

tooposhforwords

Post by tooposhforwords » 05 Jul 2018, 11:55

Wycliffe wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 10:12
Chompy wrote:
I'd imagine that is primarily the management's job- and remind his team of their responsibilities.

Oh yeah, and toss a coin
If by responsibility you mean being a competent footballer then yes, if you mean a competent PISA play-thing then no. Baldwin wasn’t really much of a captain at all.

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 05 Jul 2018, 12:06

tooposhforwords wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 11:55
Wycliffe wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 10:12
Chompy wrote:
I'd imagine that is primarily the management's job- and remind his team of their responsibilities.

Oh yeah, and toss a coin
If by responsibility you mean being a competent footballer then yes, if you mean a competent PISA play-thing then no. Baldwin wasn’t really much of a captain at all.
wtf does that even mean, please explain when PISA has used Jsck as a play thing?
Ignorance post at best but I am happy to put you right IF you care to try and substantiate your comment.

The point which you spectacularly chose to miss is a club captain is different to a team captain and as the former Jack was outstanding.

Read it again, take your time for it to sink in then carry on with your accusations re PISA.
I can't wait :D