Style of Play

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

bristleposh

Style of Play

Post by bristleposh » 03 Jul 2018, 09:28

Under Evans, some have been worried by hoofball, hopefully one or two on dotnet know what they are talking about https://londonroad.net/Forum/showthread ... pid1014026 compare to the World Cup for the last half a dozen years we have tried to play like Spain without the quality, now we are hopefully going to play like Japan with a bit of height at both ends of the pitch
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

Chompy

Re: Style of Play

Post by Chompy » 03 Jul 2018, 09:42

We played hoofball under McCann last season.

Somehow he retained his reputation for being a 'footballing' manager, but that's not what we really saw was it?

Across the back line a couple of times, give it to Taff, and...hoof. Hence we lost our identity.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 03 Jul 2018, 10:45

mccann over complicated things...he tried to get us to play like barcelona but we ended up playing like barnet.

at the end of the day...this is league one football. it's full of big physical teams who don't give you time on the ball.

you'll see more physicality..we've got to be. you'll also see the ball played from back to front a lot quicker than it was under grant but it won't be hoofball. he'll get it wide and we'll have a big man up front.

our midfield will hold the key though...if evans has got his signings right, we should be in for a succesful season.

tooposhforwords

Post by tooposhforwords » 03 Jul 2018, 10:46

Ahh FDR with his learned criticism, more obsessing over the Posh old deal rather than the “New Deal” we have. Him and jwb are total irrelevancies. I’m willing to concede that Evans will make mistakes but he is the most qualified manager we have had in many seasons.

john316z

Post by john316z » 03 Jul 2018, 12:55

Thanks bristle for sharing. I agree that Evans hoofball approach is over genralised. Evans does prefer a style of play, which may not please everyone. I wouldn't classify it as hoofball and McCann actually changed our style of play too often last season but as others have said was glossed over when he was here. The end of the day we all Evans will build a side that competes at this level - more physical, more interested in forcing the play higher up the pitch.

Bottom line is more positive results will make most of the discussion irrelevant and he certainly has built a squad so far that will mix things up in terms of excitement and style of play. As I said elsewhere I'm really excited for next season to get underway :comeon:

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 05 Jul 2018, 19:38

I see no hoofball here albeit against Stamford.
I fully expect those uneducated in football types who have an agenda against the manager to say the last two goals came from long balls.
I would call them long passes into space.
CMS wouldn't have scored half his goals for us without such passes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi333t2 ... ture=share

A couple of cracking goals though.

HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh » 05 Jul 2018, 21:49

Agenda.....’a secret aim or reason for doing something’

Using that definition one could easily say the pro Evans camp have an agenda also wouldn’t you say Adie?

Back on thread though, I agree long passes not long ball. Long ball to me is booting it to a lanky striker to flick it on or whack into the corners for someone to chase and work the space. Those two goals were passes to a player not just working the flanks.

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 06 Jul 2018, 06:41

HantsPosh wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 21:49
Agenda.....’a secret aim or reason for doing something’

Using that definition one could easily say the pro Evans camp have an agenda also wouldn’t you say Adie?

Back on thread though, I agree long passes not long ball. Long ball to me is booting it to a lanky striker to flick it on or whack into the corners for someone to chase and work the space. Those two goals were passes to a player not just working the flanks.
I don't though mate, I am pretty neutral re Evans atm, I just want success for my club.

I am glad you agree the difference between long ball & pass. We need to educate many others
The width we were playing with was promising and with quality like Gwion & Cooper when on it then it's only common sense to utilise those attributes.

john316z

Post by john316z » 06 Jul 2018, 08:12

Wycliffe wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 19:38

CMS wouldn't have scored half his goals for us without such passes

A couple of cracking goals though.
Spot on mate, nobody would have accused Fergie of playing hoofball and exactly the way that CMS chased, harried the opposition and scored a shed load of goals during arguably our most successful era

I can't wait for the start of the proper stuff.... Ideally everyone wants Evans to succeed don't they? Personally I've never really warmed to Darragh as an individual (or his Twitter persona) but nobody can argue that he doesn't want the best for Posh. We're all the same. The doubters will quieten down once he starts delivering results in L1, or ramp it up if things don't start well

Only at Peterborough hey? :clap2: :comeon: