MacAnthony/Fry/Evans/Thomson/Neale Periscope.

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Chompy

Re: MacAnthony/Fry/Evans/Thomson/Neale Periscope.

Post by Chompy » 12 May 2018, 15:10

DaveLister wrote:
12 May 2018, 14:59
Chompy wrote:
12 May 2018, 14:36
Thanks. Golden info. I could never have found that online.
But you'd still pay £1.5 million for a guy who hasn't scored 30 career league goals and has never played above League Two.

Tell us again about how much you know.
Haha, I'll enjoy quoting this in due course.

Keep making sweeping statements about players you know nothing about though, it reflects well on you.

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 12 May 2018, 19:12

Could we just clarify....... The lad from Cheltenham has had one season in league football, upon which he did perform well (but was out performed by our own jack Marriott)........ But you think we should pay £1.5 million for him......

Reckon its you who's had eight pints, pal.

john316z

Post by john316z » 12 May 2018, 19:55

DaveLister wrote:
12 May 2018, 14:59
Chompy wrote:
12 May 2018, 14:36
Thanks. Golden info. I could never have found that online.
But you'd still pay £1.5 million for a guy who hasn't scored 30 career league goals and has never played above League Two.

Tell us again about how much you know.
Ah yes splashing out £0.5m on a player rejected by Ipswich and 3rd or 4th choice at Luton.... That clearly didn't work out well

HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh » 12 May 2018, 23:05

Strange comment from Evans that the transfer listed players won’t be given a chance if they’re not sold. What’s he going to do, keep them in the reserves and pay them first team wages? Cutting of his nose to spite his face. A back to form Forrester would be an asset to League One Team as would Taylor & Grant and if Evans is such a good ‘coach’ he’d get players like Forrester back to his best. He’s also appears to be another one to have fallen under the LDSL is Pele spell, like his chairman.

Watching him just confirmed how much I dislike the man but by the same token, those that like him are probably even more smitten after watching it as there was nothing new in there from him.

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 13 May 2018, 08:05

HantsPosh wrote:
12 May 2018, 23:05
Strange comment from Evans that the transfer listed players won’t be given a chance if they’re not sold. What’s he going to do, keep them in the reserves and pay them first team wages? Cutting of his nose to spite his face. A back to form Forrester would be an asset to League One Team as would Taylor & Grant and if Evans is such a good ‘coach’ he’d get players like Forrester back to his best. He’s also appears to be another one to have fallen under the LDSL is Pele spell, like his chairman.

Watching him just confirmed how much I dislike the man but by the same token, those that like him are probably even more smitten after watching it as there was nothing new in there from him.
Actually whilst I am not one of these 'smitten' fans neither am I as blind or seemingly deaf as you when it comes to SE.

It is believed that any players with the exception of Taylor will be made to coach with the youth if they have not sorted a move out, this is regarded as a stick or carrot to ensure those players get on with it.
However, if they don't want to accept the terms offered they don't have to go anywhere and that's where the issues will start as then bringing players in would be problematic FPP and just sheer numbers/finances wise.
Therefore would Evans relent at least for some?
Dunno, time will tell.

You'd call it hypocritical, I would call it practical.

Regarding Leo your selective hearing has let you down.
He actually said he wanted Leo to be a box to box player which if you know anything about the lad he was albeit in the youth set up.
The player himself has said under previous managers he was told to keep the ball as much as possible which is somewhat ironic considering the ease he used to give it away.

imo Evans comes across very well and is a lot more articulate than I thought he'd be but medals was a good speaker too just mad.

Time will tell but plenty of successful managers in lots of sports have been unpopular.
Some have convinced the doubters, some have not despite leading their team to a winning period.
Methinks regardless you'll remain curmudgeonly about the man at best.

Your choice.

Steamy Nin

Post by Steamy Nin » 13 May 2018, 08:30

Wycliffe wrote:
13 May 2018, 08:05
HantsPosh wrote:
12 May 2018, 23:05

Actually whilst I am not one of these 'smitten' fans neither am I as blind or seemingly deaf as you when it comes to SE.

It is believed that any players with the exception of Taylor will be made to coach with the youth if they have not sorted a move out, this is regarded as a stick or carrot to ensure those players get on with it.
However, if they don't want to accept the terms offered they don't have to go anywhere and that's where the issues will start as then bringing players in would be problematic FPP and just sheer numbers/finances wise.
Therefore would Evans relent at least for some?
Dunno, time will tell.

You'd call it hypocritical, I would call it practical.

Regarding Leo your selective hearing has let you down.
He actually said he wanted Leo to be a box to box player which if you know anything about the lad he was albeit in the youth set up.
The player himself has said under previous managers he was told to keep the ball as much as possible which is somewhat ironic considering the ease he used to give it away.

imo Evans comes across very well and is a lot more articulate than I thought he'd be but medals was a good speaker too just mad.

Time will tell but plenty of successful managers in lots of sports have been unpopular.
Some have convinced the doubters, some have not despite leading their team to a winning period.
Methinks regardless you'll remain curmudgeonly about the man at best.

Your choice.

GPWM

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 13 May 2018, 09:10

john316z wrote:
12 May 2018, 19:55

Ah yes splashing out £0.5m on a player rejected by Ipswich and 3rd or 4th choice at Luton.... That clearly didn't work out well
Didn't pay £1.5million for Marriott though did we?

john316z

Post by john316z » 13 May 2018, 09:36

DaveLister wrote:
13 May 2018, 09:10
john316z wrote:
12 May 2018, 19:55

Didn't pay £1.5million for Marriott though did we?
Missing the point as usual..... we spent big for a 3rd choice striker and he became L1 hottest property.... easier for you to understand

PoshCynic

Post by PoshCynic » 13 May 2018, 18:40

How many players has Evans improved as a coach? His modus operandi is usually to get rid of players he inherits and to persuade his club to spend a good deal of money on new signings. A lower league "cheque book" manager in my opinion.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 13 May 2018, 19:29

PoshCynic wrote:
13 May 2018, 18:40
How many players has Evans improved as a coach? His modus operandi is usually to get rid of players he inherits and to persuade his club to spend a good deal of money on new signings. A lower league "cheque book" manager in my opinion.
What do you expect him to do... Keep hold of some of the rubbish he's inherited?

He's only doing what many new manager's at a club do...and this "Cheque Book" manager noncense is a myth.

PoshCynic

Post by PoshCynic » 13 May 2018, 21:14

superposh80 wrote:
13 May 2018, 19:29
PoshCynic wrote:
What do you expect him to do... Keep hold of some of the rubbish he's inherited?

He's only doing what many new manager's at a club do...and this "Cheque Book" manager noncense is a myth.
It has been reported that under his management, Mansfield had the highest budget in League 2 this season. A good coach/manager will try to improve the players he inherits. Mr Evans appears not to even try to do that - he prefers to write most of them off, while relying on being at a club that is willing to spend money on replacements that may or may not prove to be better. At every club he has managed, a feature has been the high turnover of players.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 13 May 2018, 21:25

PoshCynic wrote:
13 May 2018, 21:14
superposh80 wrote:
PoshCynic wrote:

It has been reported that under his management, Mansfield had the highest budget in League 2 this season. A good coach/manager will try to improve the players he inherits. Mr Evans appears not to even try to do that - he prefers to write most of them off, while relying on being at a club that is willing to spend money on replacements that may or may not prove to be better. At every club he has managed, a feature has been the high turnover of players.
Yep....

And at most clubs he's managed he's won promotions.

Mansfield may well have been added to that list...but they fell away when he left.

As for your "Cheque Book Manager" ... He'll have no more to spend than previous manager's have had over the last 5 years and they didn't exactly make a great fist of it did they.

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 13 May 2018, 22:32

PoshCynic wrote:
13 May 2018, 21:14
superposh80 wrote:
PoshCynic wrote:

Hesitate to point out Cynic, but Chris Turner basically inherited Mark Lawerensons squad via Dave Booth and got us promoted from the old Division Four..... That the sort of thing you're referring to?

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 14 May 2018, 09:31

PoshCynic wrote:
I would be grateful if you could post a link to all of his managerial appointments, his incoming and outgoing signings as I am not aware of everything he has ever done whilst clearly you are.

I look forward to being enlightened by you once again.

Ceenitall

Post by Ceenitall » 14 May 2018, 10:20

Wycliffe wrote:
14 May 2018, 09:31
PoshCynic wrote:
I would be grateful if you could post a link to all of his managerial appointments, his incoming and outgoing signings as I am not aware of everything he has ever done whilst clearly you are.

I look forward to being enlightened by you once again.
:clap2: