Re: Transfer RUMOURS IN

Post by john316z » 07 Aug 2018, 09:04

Wycliffe wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 07:27
ashman wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 07:05
superposh80 wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 05:42

How many striker's have we missed out on this summer?

Frustrating.
Very true. But we have made some, hopefully, very good signings and only a few weeks ago people were enthusing about the potential signings of Matt Godden and Jason Cummins. My preference anyway is not to rely on a big lump up front but to use a couple of really mobile strikers who can find the spaces and be clinical finishers. This we seem to have. Watching on Saturday, I was delighted to see Godden win the majority of his headers, not just for his goal but also during the rest of the game. Our midfield will surely yield a hell of a lot more goals than previously.
Yeah I agree. Tyrone Barnett was a big old boy but we know how that went.
Midfield scoring goals? What an interesting concept! :D
I like the movement of the two up front on saturday and whilst cummings especially needs some more fitness (says me!) and could do with a goal even this early they worked well together.
Some of the names mentioned, Rose & Jackson are not it seems first choices by any stretch of the imagination and tbh are not exactly free scoring but if we get them so be it and they'll be welcome, however it would also be a good way to piss off the incumbents.
2 sensible posts in a week. Well done and spot on

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 07 Aug 2018, 09:22

john316z wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 09:04
Wycliffe wrote:
ashman wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 07:05

Very true. But we have made some, hopefully, very good signings and only a few weeks ago people were enthusing about the potential signings of Matt Godden and Jason Cummins. My preference anyway is not to rely on a big lump up front but to use a couple of really mobile strikers who can find the spaces and be clinical finishers. This we seem to have. Watching on Saturday, I was delighted to see Godden win the majority of his headers, not just for his goal but also during the rest of the game. Our midfield will surely yield a hell of a lot more goals than previously.
I like the movement of the two up front on saturday and whilst cummings especially needs some more fitness (says me!) and could do with a goal even this early they worked well together.
Some of the names mentioned, Rose & Jackson are not it seems first choices by any stretch of the imagination and tbh are not exactly free scoring but if we get them so be it and they'll be welcome, however it would also be a good way to piss off the incumbents.
Not sure that's a compliment coming from you but I'll take it :wink:

john316z

Post by john316z » 07 Aug 2018, 09:27

Wycliffe wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 09:22
john316z wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 09:04
Wycliffe wrote:

Not sure that's a compliment coming from you but I'll take it :wink:
It was :clap: I'm more shocked in myself that I've started agreeing with you. It might not last :D

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 07 Aug 2018, 09:30

pleasureboy60 wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 08:25
As a posh fan I'm slightly disappointed that we have not had this striker situation sorted before now. It was inevitable that Marriot was going to.leave this season but we seemed to have overlooked his replacement. Here we are three days before the deadline and we are still no closer to getting anyone in..Apart from Godden, we look extremely lightweight up front.and god forbid he gets injured then we are going to struggle for goals. Perhaps we were too hasty getting rid of junior and Lloyd. My worry is that as the transfer deadline loams,we are going to gamble on bringing in some unknown kid from the lower leagues as there doesn't appear to be anyone left in our price range.
I agree that we should have had this sorted by now ...but the forwards we have been chasing have either ended up at Championship clubs or Sunderland.

We are 2 Strikers short...and I'd be amazed if we don't do business before 5pm Thursday.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 07 Aug 2018, 09:51

Comedy really.

We're part of a big pool of clubs chasing a smaller pool of strikers. Of course it's not going to be easy.

Kayden Jackson would have been a fantastic pick-up. Stop blindly looking at stats ta, but he's going to the promised land it seems.

How many more Deadline Days do some of you boys have to go through to realise the drill?

john316z

Post by john316z » 07 Aug 2018, 15:16

It's no surprise that despite the success we have with strikers from lower leagues that agents use their influence for a quick buck and go to a championship. Potential would seem greater for the right player coming to us but hey ho! How many clubs would have risked Marriott last summer? Also wonder what results are like for strikers turning us down and failing to achieve potential at bigger clubs?

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 07 Aug 2018, 15:37

john316z wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 15:16
It's no surprise that despite the success we have with strikers from lower leagues that agents use their influence for a quick buck and go to a championship. Potential would seem greater for the right player coming to us but hey ho! How many clubs would have risked Marriott last summer? Also wonder what results are like for strikers turning us down and failing to achieve potential at bigger clubs?
Not really strikers I know but two we lost out on in previous seasons who have done well are Joe Lolley at Huddersfield and James McClean at various clubs.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 08 Aug 2018, 12:01

Ayr have rejected a 150k bid from an English club for Striker Lawrence Shankland.

Posh finger prints all over this one... Despite Darragh s customary Twitter denial

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 08 Aug 2018, 12:07

6'1", 22yo, Scotch...

Check, check, check.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 08 Aug 2018, 14:00

So a good deadline day would be Maddison out, Ollie Swain, Danny Rose and Lawrence Shankland in.

Wonder what we'll end up with though. BIG day tomorrow.

OBM

Post by OBM » 08 Aug 2018, 14:01

Found this on Ayr forum

Hi Ayr fan now living Bristol area lot of talk shankland to sign for Bristol Rovers in next couple of days according to their forum

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 08 Aug 2018, 14:19

Excellent find OBM. Oh well, there need is greater than ours tbf. It's fine having one up front, unless that one happens to be Tom Nichols.

Gazza8

Post by Gazza8 » 08 Aug 2018, 14:38

I'm confident about strikers arrived this summer. Nobody thanks Marriott would have been a great scorer as he came from a low league and he proves he has a great talent. So I trust in Godden and Cummings. POSH has always flair to pick-up good strikers.
The main problem last year wasn't the attack but the defensive sector by the big number of goals conceded. I hope Tafa' and Benett will make job. Daniel is a good recruit, the same for Woodyard and O'Hara I think.

The key will be for the team to be solider and avoid to concede lot of goals.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 23 Aug 2018, 00:15

Was reading that Jack Byrne has been made available by Oldham.

We know that DMac is a fan but this doesn't seem ideal if correct.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... s-15038255

Budgeted for two more if needs be says DMac on Tweetypie.

poshwomble

Post by poshwomble » 23 Aug 2018, 21:20

QPR sign Hemed and Wells.

Washington clearly not ever going to do the business there so come on Dmac, get him back to the Posh!