Marcus Maddison
21%
Steve Taylor
21%

Total votes: 14

Wycliffe

Player of the Season

Post by Wycliffe » 22 Apr 2018, 11:47

I have only put 3 options in as I can't imagine anyone would expect there to be more, however in reality imo it's between 2 but I do feel Taylor deserves some respect for his efforts.

trevormans

Re: Player of the Season

Post by trevormans » 22 Apr 2018, 13:20

and after all the wingeing last season from the intelligentsia on this website, that nobody was protecting the back four, then I am amazed that Grant is not put forward as an option

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 22 Apr 2018, 13:47

Only one contender here....

Anyone who bags 30 plus goals is a shoe in.

It's nothing short of criminal that a club with a prolific striker can't nail a top six spot

HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh » 22 Apr 2018, 14:48

Hughes would be worthy of inclusion on the shortlist for me. Grant & Marriott both excellent before Christmas especially, but Grant just pips it for me as his loss of form for a while really affected the team in my opinion.

But of the options given by Wycliffe, then Marriott 100%.

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 22 Apr 2018, 17:13

HantsPosh wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 14:48
Hughes would be worthy of inclusion on the shortlist for me. Grant & Marriott both excellent before Christmas especially, but Grant just pips it for me as his loss of form for a while really affected the team in my opinion.

But of the options given by Wycliffe, then Marriott 100%.
Grant?
Really?
As opposed to someone who has scored 30+ goals?

Goodness gracious me!!! :roll:

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 22 Apr 2018, 18:09

no!

Grant who has perhaps prevented twenty goals, in the same way as Taylor who has also done his bit in defence,

maddison has shown his worth in the last 3 games when he wasn't there

but surely to limit your choice to just 3 is a bit narrow in its thinking . its almost as limiting as the brexit choice

for anybody to suggest that it is "nothing short of criminal" to propose that it could be anybody but the goalscorer shows he has little understanding of reality.

that anybody can talk in such absolute terms (criminal??? criminal???) shows he has perhaps a far too tenuous grasp on reality

but when you see so many of his comments elsewhere on this website throughout the season, you can understand at least he is consistent (in having a tenuous grasp on reality) ans as such, his views can be put into the category of " low grasp on reality"

we are talking about chaps kicking a ball of wind about!! it is nothing to do with criminality!

it is not criminal to have alternative views

goodness gracious me! as you so rightly said

I would vote maddison or marriott,

but maddison gives excitement

johnmiller

Post by johnmiller » 22 Apr 2018, 19:02

Hughesy worth a shout too.

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 22 Apr 2018, 19:05

trevormans wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 18:09
no!

Grant who has perhaps prevented twenty goals, in the same way as Taylor who has also done his bit in defence,

maddison has shown his worth in the last 3 games when he wasn't there

but surely to limit your choice to just 3 is a bit narrow in its thinking . its almost as limiting as the brexit choice

for anybody to suggest that it is "nothing short of criminal" to propose that it could be anybody but the goalscorer shows he has little understanding of reality.

that anybody can talk in such absolute terms (criminal??? criminal???) shows he has perhaps a far too tenuous grasp on reality

but when you see so many of his comments elsewhere on this website throughout the season, you can understand at least he is consistent (in having a tenuous grasp on reality) ans as such, his views can be put into the category of " low grasp on reality"

we are talking about chaps kicking a ball of wind about!! it is nothing to do with criminality!

it is not criminal to have alternative views

goodness gracious me! as you so rightly said

I would vote maddison or marriott,

but maddison gives excitement
Not sure there is anything quite as exciting as seeing a goal or 30 odd

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 22 Apr 2018, 19:48

I don't know the answer, but the supply from free kicks and corners have benefitted Hughes, Taylor and Baldwin's goals. Much has been made of the lack of goals from the central midfield players, but the majority of those three's goals have come whilst players like Leo and Grant are on the halfway line protecting our lack of a back line.
The lack of goals from other strikers means the 30 plus in a mid table team are too hard to ignore
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 22 Apr 2018, 20:12

I don't think Leo's ever protected anything has he?

It's our back line that's been busy getting our central midfield out of jail from what I've seen.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 22 Apr 2018, 20:17

superposh80 wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 20:12

It's our back line that's been busy getting our central midfield out of jail from what I've seen.
You're there every week surely you see all three of our big lumps go up for all these free kicks and corners, who do you think does the hard yards whilst they are on attacking duty. I'm not talking about normal play I am talking about those specific occasions. We know nobody is allowed to praise Leo apart from DMac, but he does that job.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

john316z

Post by john316z » 22 Apr 2018, 20:33

Defensive players rarely win these polls as it is usually the creative players that win polls and matches. I'd still choose Grant as watching him do the simple stuff well and put the graft in for much of the season was a joy to watch. We've missed a player like that for years. That said Marriott will stroll it regardless.... and these things are mostly pointless anyway (like most things on here)

john316z

Post by john316z » 22 Apr 2018, 20:35

superposh80 wrote:

Bit harsh on Leo... Too many recent managers seem to have destroyed any potential in that lad

I don't see Calamity opening many jailhouse doors.... More like giving the keys away to opposition players EVERY game

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 22 Apr 2018, 20:53

john316z wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 20:33
Defensive players rarely win these polls as it is usually the creative players that win polls and matches. I'd still choose Grant as watching him do the simple stuff well and put the graft in for much of the season was a joy to watch. We've missed a player like that for years. That said Marriott will stroll it regardless.... and these things are mostly pointless anyway (like most things on here)
There's a case for Grant.

I agree, he's very good at what he does. Which is winning tackles and cheap free kicks in his own half of the pitch.

He's not here to score goals...and if you look at the strike rate of Forrester. Doughty. Anderson and LDSL...Neither are they.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 22 Apr 2018, 20:58

john316z wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 20:35
superposh80 wrote:

Bit harsh on Leo... Too many recent managers seem to have destroyed any potential in that lad

I don't see Calamity opening many jailhouse doors.... More like giving the keys away to opposition players EVERY game
Baldwin hasn't been able to erase those costly mistakes from his game...Which is a shame because take them away and you have a player.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was on the out list...