Marriott makes L1 team of the year

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Chompy

Marriott makes L1 team of the year

Post by Chompy » 03 Apr 2018, 19:25

All Wigan, Blackburn and Shrewsbury, aside from Marriott and Graham Carey.

Can't argue with that.

A few eyebrows were raised at Marcus Maddison's non-inclusion says Alan Swann.

Fancy a few more would have been raised had he got in!

Chompy

Re: Marriott makes L1 team of the year

Post by Chompy » 03 Apr 2018, 19:32

https://www.efl.com/news/2018/april/efl ... m=referral

Think some of these are pretty foregone conclusions. Sessegnon, Mo Eisa (said we should have bought him in January!), Dru Yearwood, but I wouldn't want to price up L1 player of the season. Any of Dack, Powell and Marriott would be a deserving winner.

Think JM could just sneak it though.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 03 Apr 2018, 19:34

I agree with Darragh re Maddison....

His stats for league one football demand him in it...but his fellow pros would never vote for him.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 03 Apr 2018, 19:40

And neither should they.

These awards are in recognition of players playing consistently to the best of their abilities.

Dack has a past but has been outstanding. Nick Powell has been at Man United and could have decided L1 was beneath him but has been outstanding.

MM has good numbers but has been an annoyance to many (mainly opposition but not exclusively) and has been garbage for a while now.

HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh » 03 Apr 2018, 20:05

So being at Manchester United is criteria for being nominated is it, hmmmmm must be why Scott Wootton & David Fox have also been included then huh?? On no wait they haven’t.

Marriott has had bad games as well as good games but is in, but then again you don’t have an agenda against him like you do Maddison do you?

john316z

Post by john316z » 03 Apr 2018, 21:31

Marriott is easily in the L1 team in my view. If it is based on stats then makes sense but having seen him go awol and long periods of poor games this season, despite being our only real creative force and number of assists I don't think he serves to be in there

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 03 Apr 2018, 23:04

HantsPosh wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 20:05
So being at Manchester United is criteria for being nominated is it, hmmmmm must be why Scott Wootton & David Fox have also been included then huh?? On no wait they haven’t.

Marriott has had bad games as well as good games but is in, but then again you don’t have an agenda against him like you do Maddison do you?
Eh?

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 04 Apr 2018, 09:05

As has been said elsewhere these teams are selected by fellow professionals from other sides, If I had beenin a side the victim of some of Bambi's theatrics I doubt I'd vote for him, as a fan I would but then I know very little of other contenders. I would have thought there was more of an argument to include the excellent Oztumer than Bambi. his stats are not far adrift after all.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

ashman

Post by ashman » 04 Apr 2018, 09:24

bristleposh wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 09:05
As has been said elsewhere these teams are selected by fellow professionals from other sides, If I had beenin a side the victim of some of Bambi's theatrics I doubt I'd vote for him, as a fan I would but then I know very little of other contenders. I would have thought there was more of an argument to include the excellent Oztumer than Bambi. his stats are not far adrift after all.
Oztumer goes awol a lot too! We saw this a lot at Posh. I agree that MM wouldn't get voted in by his peers but that doesn't stop him being the overall most influential player in League One, taunting other players and fans alike. I'm just glad he plays for us and not any other opposing team!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 04 Apr 2018, 09:25

Where's the "Congratulations Jack" gang?

Thought they'd be out in force for this one....

ashman

Post by ashman » 04 Apr 2018, 09:45

superposh80 wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 09:25
Where's the "Congratulations Jack" gang?
Thought they'd be out in force for this one....
... along with your non comment about Jack quote in this thread - 'I agree with Darragh re Maddison.... His stats for league one football demand him in it...but his fellow pros would never vote for him.'

Oh, by the way, congratulations Jack. Well deserved! :clap2: :lol:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

john316z

Post by john316z » 04 Apr 2018, 11:09

bristleposh wrote:
I do hope we don't sell Maddison summer as you'll need to find someone else that meet's the "Bristle Disappointment of the week award" :wink:

john316z

Post by john316z » 04 Apr 2018, 11:11

ashman wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 09:24
bristleposh wrote:
Oztumer goes awol a lot too! We saw this a lot at Posh. I agree that MM wouldn't get voted in by his peers but that doesn't stop him being the overall most influential player in League One, taunting other players and fans alike. I'm just glad he plays for us and not any other opposing team!
You could include Oztumer in just for his goals but overall contribution is no better than Maddison's. Or Bambi as Bristle keeps referring him to

Spot on Ashman, for all MM's faults we'd be much the poorer if he wasn't here

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 04 Apr 2018, 17:29

Seems pretty simple to me.
Jack scores goals, he may miss chances of course but facts are facts.
He also plays the game hard but fair and so has respect as well as admiration.
This would be remembered when voting is considered by opposition players.

Marcus has a tremendous skill.
He also disappears during matches and indeed for matches at a time.
However opposition players would imo vote for him were they to only consider talent.
Facts are they don't only consider talent, they consider his play acting which whether some like it or not is blatant cheating (and we all know he is not alone), his pathetic squealing and rolling around so will withhold their votes.

Even for those with rose tinted spectacles about MM that must all be acceptable and fully understandable.

Stats aren't everything.