Great idea by the club

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Wycliffe

Great idea by the club

Post by Wycliffe » 26 Mar 2018, 21:39

for the oldies.

The football club are delighted to announce an event for senior citizens on Wednesday 28th March from 12pm until 2pm in the Posh Venue with former stars Peter McNamee and Roy Banham set to entertain with stories of their playing days.

The event, which is free to attend, will be the first of a regular event, where supporters can reminisce together about the club’s history. McNamee spent over 12 years at the ABAX Stadium and played with Banham and the pair are good friends.

Organiser and club press officer Phil Adlam said: “It is an idea that we have discussed internally and we feel that it is a great opportunity to put on an event like this where the older generation can listen to stories from former players and discuss their own memories from the time with like-minded supporters.

“We hope that it will become a regular monthly event and something to look forward to. Our supporters mean the world to us and we know that there are many that have been backing this football club since the successful Midland League days. I am sure Peter and Roy will have some wonderful stories to share.”

There is free parking at the stadium and a bus stop close to the ABAX. Senior citizens wishing to attend just need to turn up on the day, no ticket is required.

Good luck to Mac trying to get a word in when Roy starts :lol:

Two lovely blokes and I hope some of our senior supporters can attend assuming they can go without their normal afternoon kip.

stuie

Re: Great idea by the club

Post by stuie » 27 Mar 2018, 13:26

Wycliffe wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 21:39
for the oldies.

The football club are delighted to announce an event for senior citizens on Wednesday 28th March from 12pm until 2pm in the Posh Venue with former stars Peter McNamee and Roy Banham set to entertain with stories of their playing days.

The event, which is free to attend, will be the first of a regular event, where supporters can reminisce together about the club’s history. McNamee spent over 12 years at the ABAX Stadium and played with Banham and the pair are good friends.

Organiser and club press officer Phil Adlam said: “It is an idea that we have discussed internally and we feel that it is a great opportunity to put on an event like this where the older generation can listen to stories from former players and discuss their own memories from the time with like-minded supporters.

“We hope that it will become a regular monthly event and something to look forward to. Our supporters mean the world to us and we know that there are many that have been backing this football club since the successful Midland League days. I am sure Peter and Roy will have some wonderful stories to share.”

There is free parking at the stadium and a bus stop close to the ABAX. Senior citizens wishing to attend just need to turn up on the day, no ticket is required.

Good luck to Mac trying to get a word in when Roy starts :lol:

Two lovely blokes and I hope some of our senior supporters can attend assuming they can go without their normal afternoon kip.
Great idea
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

ashman

Post by ashman » 27 Mar 2018, 21:41

I'll be there, along with Wycliffe. :wink:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

john316z

Post by john316z » 28 Mar 2018, 10:13

Is there a licensed bar?

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 28 Mar 2018, 10:20

Great idea.
Wish I were there.
Being happy never goes out of style

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 07 Apr 2018, 09:09

And the Speaker For Next Senior Citizen Event is Ray Smith.
Again I wish I could be there. One of my heroes.
Obviously I saw him play in many games but one that stands out is the FA Cup Third Round replay on 9th January 1957.
What a great game that was - Lincoln City 4 - 5 Posh.
Being happy never goes out of style

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 07 Apr 2018, 10:03

tonyp wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 09:09
And the Speaker For Next Senior Citizen Event is Ray Smith.
Again I wish I could be there. One of my heroes.
Obviously I saw him play in many games but one that stands out is the FA Cup Third Round replay on 9th January 1957.
What a great game that was - Lincoln City 4 - 5 Posh.
He came to Ebs a fair few years ago for one of our legends evenings (60's team) . Lives up in Hull area iirc so we paid for his fuel and put him up in the Queensgate Hotel which he was exceedingly grateful for as the drive almost did him in with his knees.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 07 Apr 2018, 10:11

He was a part of Posh's greatest ever team. I know many are dead now but they would still beat our current side.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 07 Apr 2018, 10:28

Everything was so much better in the past.

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 07 Apr 2018, 11:11

Chompy wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 10:28
Everything was so much better in the past.
An accurate posting at last. You are soooooooo right. :clap:
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

moysroadmajor

Post by moysroadmajor » 07 Apr 2018, 17:45

Whilst us older generation may have biased memories, I think it fair to say that the great team of the late 50s early 60s played with pace, poise, panache and purpose.

They also had several players, Ray Smith amongst them, who were both creative and finishers. It would be good if today’s Posh could try to emulate or surpass these qualities.

john316z

Post by john316z » 08 Apr 2018, 12:07

moysroadmajor wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 17:45
Whilst us older generation may have biased memories, I think it fair to say that the great team of the late 50s early 60s played with pace, poise, panache and purpose.

They also had several players, Ray Smith amongst them, who were both creative and finishers. It would be good if today’s Posh could try to emulate or surpass these qualities.
Not with the current crop for sure but I'm sure the Fergie era wasn't far off? I'm not old enough to compare being so young :wink: