Rotherham v Posh

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 27230
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Rotherham v Posh

Post by bristleposh » 02 Apr 2018, 15:41

Chompy wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 13:04
Joe Newell? The Joe Newell who left about a decade ago? Relevance?
not musch longer than Tommy Rowe I'd say
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

Wycliffe
Posts: 1380
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 07:20
Location: PISA land

Re: Rotherham v Posh

Post by Wycliffe » 05 Apr 2018, 07:56

superposh80 wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 12:24
It's not penetrative enough because it's not good enough.

Name one Posh midfielder with energy...pace...and enough ability to take on the opposite by running at them with the ball.

Not to mention chipping in with a goal or two...

Exactly. ..You can't.
I am confused.

Is Gwion a midfielder or does he count as a forward?

If the former then there you go but I take your point.

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 27230
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Rotherham v Posh

Post by bristleposh » 05 Apr 2018, 09:25

Wycliffe wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 07:56
superposh80 wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 12:24
It's not penetrative enough because it's not good enough.

Name one Posh midfielder with energy...pace...and enough ability to take on the opposite by running at them with the ball.

Not to mention chipping in with a goal or two...

Exactly. ..You can't.
I am confused.

Is Gwion a midfielder or does he count as a forward?

If the former then there you go but I take your point.
I often get confused with the definition of midfielder, as we generally play 4-4-2 or have occasionally gone 3-5-2 then I'd say any of the second 4 or the 5 are midfielders ergo Bambi is a midfielder who has scored more than the others put together. Because he does little defensive work others call him an attacker or winger, so perhaps they think 4-2-2-2 or 4-2-4
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

superposh80
Posts: 5607
Joined: 03 Jul 2012, 19:33

Re: Rotherham v Posh

Post by superposh80 » 05 Apr 2018, 09:26

Wycliffe wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 07:56
superposh80 wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 12:24
It's not penetrative enough because it's not good enough.

Name one Posh midfielder with energy...pace...and enough ability to take on the opposite by running at them with the ball.

Not to mention chipping in with a goal or two...

Exactly. ..You can't.
I am confused.

Is Gwion a midfielder or does he count as a forward?

If the former then there you go but I take your point.
He's a winger/ attacker like Maddison...I certainly don't class either of them as midfielders.

Grant. Forrester. LDSL. Doughty and Anderson....I do.

User avatar
Chompy
Posts: 5365
Joined: 19 Jul 2005, 16:26

Re: Rotherham v Posh

Post by Chompy » 05 Apr 2018, 09:49

If you're breaking it down as defenders, midfielders, strikers, then Gwion and MM go down as midfielders.

I think this argument concerns our central midfield.

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 27230
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Rotherham v Posh

Post by bristleposh » 05 Apr 2018, 10:31

Chompy wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 09:49
If you're breaking it down as defenders, midfielders, strikers, then Gwion and MM go down as midfielders.

I think this argument concerns our central midfield.
Is the right answer
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

john316z
Posts: 2182
Joined: 04 Dec 2011, 23:08

Re: Rotherham v Posh

Post by john316z » 05 Apr 2018, 10:33

Chompy wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 09:49
If you're breaking it down as defenders, midfielders, strikers, then Gwion and MM go down as midfielders.

I think this argument concerns our central midfield.
Our central midfield is dire.... Grant has been superb for most of this season but does a job, which appears to be not needed by Evans so he'll be moved on. Forrester and Anderson are so inconsistent they you can't rely on them. Leo I'd keep but Doughty could go tomorrow. Only time I ever see any pace from him is when he's required to do any defensive duties.... it involves getting out of the way completely. QPR certainly gave us a pup there

User avatar
Chompy
Posts: 5365
Joined: 19 Jul 2005, 16:26

Re: Rotherham v Posh

Post by Chompy » 05 Apr 2018, 11:07

I'm still undecided on Grant and how he figures in Evans' long-term plans.

It would never have made sense to pay him v the Cobblers at home and, when SE arrived in the building, it seems he was injured and had pretty much been trundling along on three wheels.

Think the percentage call would be to cull in the summer though, along with Forrester, Maddison and Doughty.

Ward is a useful utility player, Cooper has only just landed, LDSL won't attrach the sort of £££ that DMac's prepared to let him go for, Anderson likewise and just needs a good pre-season.

superposh80
Posts: 5607
Joined: 03 Jul 2012, 19:33

Re: Rotherham v Posh

Post by superposh80 » 05 Apr 2018, 12:09

Grant has become a horses for courses player...needed at Rotherham and Plymouth this Saturday but not used at home in games against weaker opposition.

He's never a championship player and I reckon he'll go in the summer whatever.

Forrester. LDSL. Doughty. Anderson....I wouldn't be sorry to see any of them go.

john316z
Posts: 2182
Joined: 04 Dec 2011, 23:08

Re: Rotherham v Posh

Post by john316z » 05 Apr 2018, 12:23

I'd like to see Anderson fully fit after pre season to see what he's got left

john316z
Posts: 2182
Joined: 04 Dec 2011, 23:08

Re: Rotherham v Posh

Post by john316z » 05 Apr 2018, 12:32

bristleposh wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 09:25
Wycliffe wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 07:56
superposh80 wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 12:24
It's not penetrative enough because it's not good enough.

Name one Posh midfielder with energy...pace...and enough ability to take on the opposite by running at them with the ball.

Not to mention chipping in with a goal or two...

Exactly. ..You can't.
I am confused.

Is Gwion a midfielder or does he count as a forward?

If the former then there you go but I take your point.
I often get confused with the definition of midfielder, as we generally play 4-4-2 or have occasionally gone 3-5-2 then I'd say any of the second 4 or the 5 are midfielders ergo Bambi is a midfielder who has scored more than the others put together. Because he does little defensive work others call him an attacker or winger, so perhaps they think 4-2-2-2 or 4-2-4
I don't get why the haters complain about MMs defensive skills. Isn't that why we have defenders. You could argue he should track back more but given we've packed our midfield with negative players I'd argue that's their job. Certainly chipping in with goals doesn't seem to suit them. Let MM do what he's best at and create the most assists in the football league. That may not work for Evans and I'd love to see that discussion playing out with our chairman

superposh80
Posts: 5607
Joined: 03 Jul 2012, 19:33

Re: Rotherham v Posh

Post by superposh80 » 05 Apr 2018, 15:58

Maddison has certainly scored more goals than our midfield put together....

As have Baldwin Hughes and Taylor.

As for defensive work...Apart from Anthony Grant...I didn't realise any other of our midfield did any.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: superposh80 and 10 guests