Rotherham v Posh

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

superposh80

Re: Rotherham v Posh

Post by superposh80 » 30 Mar 2018, 17:24

Performance aside...That's an excellent point.

We've got to back it up with 3 points on Monday though.

Evans said he'd be happy with 4 points over Easter...

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 30 Mar 2018, 17:38

john316z wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 17:24
Get in there. Sounds like we were poor all round. Outplayed all game but a point's a point. Hoping for a Wobbly win on Monday
:stupid:
:clap: :clap:
Being happy never goes out of style

Ceenitall

Post by Ceenitall » 30 Mar 2018, 17:47

Whew! The 8th minute turned night into day. A good boot up field from Connor to set it up.

Narrowboat Dave

Post by Narrowboat Dave » 30 Mar 2018, 22:09

Including travel time, that’s six hours of my life I won’t get back. I know it’s been some time since I last saw a Posh match live, but why did I pick that one?

Worst performance I’ve seen for years. Our midfield is non-existant. When they got the ball down, they didn’t know what to do with it and it was no wonder that the defenders resorted to hoofball. Evans will have to work a miracle to get this lot into the play offs. Forrester, Maddison, Cooper May as well have stayed in the dressing room for all they did.

Silver lining - thank God for Steven Taylor, my MOM, and we have a real prospect in young Connor O’Malley - one outstanding save in each half. Just needs to work on his kicking though.

Manager has a lot of work to do in the close season to clear out the dross and get players in who want the ball and want to play for Posh.

poshnipper
Nippoderator

Post by poshnipper » 31 Mar 2018, 07:38

Including travel time, that was 11 hours of my life that I’m happy I used as I did.
Nicking a point at the death made it feel like a win. The ref even gave us chance, with another 90 seconds, to grab a win.
I know which set of fans was happier with their point. :D
Roll on Monday :comeon: :clap: :comeon: :clap: :comeon:
We go again...
Proud to be POSH

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 31 Mar 2018, 07:41

poshnipper wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 07:38
Including travel time, that was 11 hours of my life that I’m happy I used as I did.
Nicking a point at the death made it feel like a win. The ref even gave us chance, with another 90 seconds, to grab a win.
I know which set of fans was happier with their point. :D
Roll on Monday :comeon: :clap: :comeon: :clap: :comeon:
Great to read Nipper!
Definitely roll on Monday. :clap: :comeon:

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 31 Mar 2018, 09:17

Narrowboat Dave wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 22:09
Including travel time, that’s six hours of my life I won’t get back. I know it’s been some time since I last saw a Posh match live, but why did I pick that one?

Worst performance I’ve seen for years. Our midfield is non-existant. When they got the ball down, they didn’t know what to do with it and it was no wonder that the defenders resorted to hoofball. Evans will have to work a miracle to get this lot into the play offs. Forrester, Maddison, Cooper May as well have stayed in the dressing room for all they did.

Silver lining - thank God for Steven Taylor, my MOM, and we have a real prospect in young Connor O’Malley - one outstanding save in each half. Just needs to work on his kicking though.

Manager has a lot of work to do in the close season to clear out the dross and get players in who want the ball and want to play for Posh.
Spot on....A far more realistic post.

You're right about the midfield...No energy No spark. No one in there to run at players or even chip in with a goal or two..

Evans needs to rip it up in the summer...I wouldn't be surprised if most of our non existent midfield were shipped out

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 31 Mar 2018, 10:18

We literally have the worst midfield in L1.

The one question nobody chose to ask the new part-owners in the week is what sort of investment there'll be in the squad in the summer.

Will we be properly going for it and targeting players like Mo Eisa (worried he's priced himself out of our level now), Chuks Aneke etc, or taking six more punts from the NL?

This season is done and dusted, whatever the blue-tinted brigade might think. We aren't going to finish above the likes of Scunny, Charlton and Plymouth with so many obvious holes in our squad.

The only way out of this league now is by spending proper £££, unless you get very lucky like Shrewsbury have.

The three that came down last season are about to finish first, second and fourth (most likely). The biggest gap between any two leagues now is between the Championship and L1. Any team with a few Championship-quality players in their squad will never have a problem going back up.

Whicever two of Barnsley, Birmginham and Sunderland come down will be favourites for L1 next season, alongside Charlton (should they fail this season) and the market will be 100% correct.

The money has filtered down far enough from the PL to make the Championship crazy competitive, and our current squad would be an embarrassment should they somehow go up.
Last edited by Chompy on 31 Mar 2018, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.

Narrowboat Dave

Post by Narrowboat Dave » 31 Mar 2018, 10:26

Whilst I agree with Nipper that I came away happier (than I felt I should) having burgled a point at the death, that temporary sense of euphoria shouldn’t blind us to what was a totally inadequate performance.

Still it was nice to see us scoring in the last second of injury time, rather than our opponents who do it so often to us!

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 31 Mar 2018, 10:29

Chompy wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 10:18
This season is done and dusted, whatever the blue-tinted brigade might think.
:stupid:
Evans can't fix it. Even McCann couldn't have fixed it.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 31 Mar 2018, 11:46

Narrowboat Dave wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 10:26
Whilst I agree with Nipper that I came away happier (than I felt I should) having burgled a point at the death, that temporary sense of euphoria shouldn’t blind us to what was a totally inadequate performance.

Still it was nice to see us scoring in the last second of injury time, rather than our opponents who do it so often to us!
Some will always be blinded.

If they looked close enough they'll see a mid table side...somehow...still in with a chance of a play off spot.

That chance is getting slimmer though...and will be brought to an end over the next couple of weeks.

Then Evans can start his summer clear out.

Kwetu

Post by Kwetu » 01 Apr 2018, 12:36

A sweet goal from M&M !

john316z

Post by john316z » 01 Apr 2018, 14:20

superposh80 wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 11:46
Narrowboat Dave wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 10:26

Some will always be blinded.

If they looked close enough they'll see a mid table side...somehow...still in with a chance of a play off spot.

That chance is getting slimmer though...and will be brought to an end over the next couple of weeks.

Then Evans can start his summer clear out.
Shows how poor this league. We've been poor most of the season and could still go up. Apart from our central midfield (which is pretty poor), a striker and better back up we should be good enough next season. Defence is much improved with Taylor there. O'Malley is looking promising. However we'll lose Marriott this summer I'd assume

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 01 Apr 2018, 14:44

It's all about how we use the Marriott ££££ in the summer.

We'll be looking at around £5m-6m I'd imagine, which a shrewdy like Evans ought to be able to weave his magic with. Even spending half of that should be enough to get us up next season.

Sell Maddison too. He seems to have decided he's not up for putting in the effort required in an Evans team.

As for JM, he's scored 24 in the league this season. There's outside chances of making 30 I guess but he'd need 2+ tomorrow to make that realistic. That would boost his value a bit.

The season we had Britt going well in the L1 golden boot, he only managed low 20s in the full season. Neither Callum Wilson nor Sam Baldock managed 24 that season either, and look where that trio have wound up! JM is at least in the same bracket, so £5m looks a gimme.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 01 Apr 2018, 18:00

Having only seen us once in the flesh under our new manager I think doing away with midfield altogether and getting two 7foot wingers and two 7foot strikers might give us a chance of keeping possession.otherwise it will be more of the same, missing out midfield and firing it long to the midgets up front. Just saying like
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761