Reading between the lines

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 27094
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Reading between the lines

Post by bristleposh » 25 Feb 2018, 10:56

Not difficult as most of them have been printed in capital letters and underlined. Most of the time I listen to the matches on the radio, equally as painful as being there, apart from the cold this time of year, I assure you. However according to Chompy that means I'm not entitled to an opinion.

Posh this season are not very good, according to most posters that is because of the manager, the fact that we have too many individuals may also be much of the reason. When we lost to Lincoln earlier in the year, I said that their kick and run, was at least getting results. To which my arguments were denounced by all. However, by the sound of the commentary and others comments from posters on this and other media outlets, that is exactly the type of football we are playing the ball either ending up at a centre back or the goalkeeper who then lumps the ball up front where we have two or three little forward players and we lose possession. Which is why the teams we play against, as poor as Wimbledon, Blackpool, Southend etc come on to us because we keep losing possession.

I was denounced as an idiot for saying players like Freestone should be starting, yet according to a lot of people he was our man of the match yesterday. If we keep playing these pretty boy players with no team ethic we will never be able to reach the heights most of us would like. Marriott and Maddison have wonderful statistics, but because of their greed we are not getting the results that a team should be getting.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

superposh80
Posts: 5511
Joined: 03 Jul 2012, 19:33

Re: Reading between the lines

Post by superposh80 » 25 Feb 2018, 15:00

It's a good job Maddison and Marriott have been 'greedy'...Without them we'd be in the bottom four no doubt.

Yesterday...We were going to see 'fast free flowing attacking football' according to Grant. All we saw was long balls lumped up front because we had no idea how to break a well organised Wimbledon team down.

They had a game plan...We didn't.

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 16575
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Reading between the lines

Post by ashman » 25 Feb 2018, 15:52

bristleposh wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 10:56
Not difficult as most of them have been printed in capital letters and underlined. Most of the time I listen to the matches on the radio, equally as painful as being there, apart from the cold this time of year, I assure you. However according to Chompy that means I'm not entitled to an opinion.

Posh this season are not very good, according to most posters that is because of the manager, the fact that we have too many individuals may also be much of the reason. When we lost to Lincoln earlier in the year, I said that their kick and run, was at least getting results. To which my arguments were denounced by all. However, by the sound of the commentary and others comments from posters on this and other media outlets, that is exactly the type of football we are playing the ball either ending up at a centre back or the goalkeeper who then lumps the ball up front where we have two or three little forward players and we lose possession. Which is why the teams we play against, as poor as Wimbledon, Blackpool, Southend etc come on to us because we keep losing possession.

I was denounced as an idiot for saying players like Freestone should be starting, yet according to a lot of people he was our man of the match yesterday. If we keep playing these pretty boy players with no team ethic we will never be able to reach the heights most of us would like. Marriott and Maddison have wonderful statistics, but because of their greed we are not getting the results that a team should be getting.
I don't think anybody denounced you as an idiot bristle for playing Freestone, and yesterday, along with Leo, he was was considered to be joint MOTM candidates. Your point about Maddison and Marriott being the reason that we are not getting the results we should, by being greedy is wrong on so many levels.
I totally agree with SP80's post 'Without them we'd be in the bottom four no doubt' and is much nearer to the truth!

The rest of this topic ahas been deleted as SPAM!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

pleasureboy60
Posts: 192
Joined: 25 May 2011, 09:27

Re: Reading between the lines

Post by pleasureboy60 » 25 Feb 2018, 16:10

bristleposh wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 10:56
Not difficult as most of them have been printed in capital letters and underlined. Most of the time I listen to the matches on the radio, equally as painful as being there, apart from the cold this time of year, I assure you. However according to Chompy that means I'm not entitled to an opinion.

Posh this season are not very good, according to most posters that is because of the manager, the fact that we have too many individuals may also be much of the reason. When we lost to Lincoln earlier in the year, I said that their kick and run, was at least getting results. To which my arguments were denounced by all. However, by the sound of the commentary and others comments from posters on this and other media outlets, that is exactly the type of football we are playing the ball either ending up at a centre back or the goalkeeper who then lumps the ball up front where we have two or three little forward players and we lose possession. Which is why the teams we play against, as poor as Wimbledon, Blackpool, Southend etc come on to us because we keep losing possession.

I was denounced as an idiot for saying players like Freestone should be starting, yet according to a lot of people he was our man of the match yesterday. If we keep playing these pretty boy players with no team ethic we will never be able to reach the heights most of us would like. Marriott and Maddison have wonderful statistics, but because of their greed we are not getting the results that a team should be getting.
Great post and I agree with you entirely.
Since we missed out on being in the championship after that disastrous day at the Palace, we have not progressed as a club. If anything we have gone backwards. Nothing was learnt about what is needed to survive in the Championship and i'm not talking money!
Our time in League one has been average to say the least. This season more than ever the football has been absolutely DIRE and that's being over generous.
We are a team of individuals who have been totally built up by the management as being multi million pound players, when clearly they are not.
Young players are unfortunately impressionable and all this hype is not doing the team any favours.
Collectively we are a total shambles at times. Individually, certain players are self motivated, only because they want to put themselves in the shop window to attract and impress all these so called clubs which are supposed to be interested.
If we have any chance of getting out of this poor league, then we need to change some of our policies, which are clearly not working.
We desperately need a new, experienced manager who is allowed to play the right way and to play the right players in the positions they are familiar with and without interference from the chairman.
You need a balance in a successful squad of players, not a team built around flair and individualism. Our current team in particular don't work as a unit and that has been noticeable in many games this season.
We are predictable, slow, lack ideas in all areas of the park and visiting teams easily exploit our weakness's.
You need to defend in numbers when required to do so. Track back and help out the defence when needed. Mark tighter and stop allowing the opposition to run at you. You also need the midfield to support the strikers which we don't seem to do. there is always this massive gap between our front striker(s) and midfield. How many goals have our central midfield contributed this season?
I don't like making comparisons, but I watched Wigan against Man City last week and the effort ALL the team put in was a real credit to them. Every player knew what his role was. They played as a unit and got their just rewards.
Rewind the clock when we played Leicester reserves in the FAC and we did none of this.
As a club we need to learn and learn fast, otherwise we are going to be in this league for a very long time.
Last edited by pleasureboy60 on 25 Feb 2018, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 16575
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Reading between the lines

Post by ashman » 25 Feb 2018, 17:51

I think that all the criticism of players and management is born out of genuine frustration from genuine supporters of our club. There are undoubtedly a few wind up merchants on social media sites who are just willing us to fail. I just hope that no notice is taken of them and that we can prove them wrong.
We certainly are struggling to find any sort of consistency about how to win football games at the moment. The only way we can help is to support the club in any way that we can think of. The way I can help is by attending matches and NOT having a go at those involved but get behind them through thick and thin. I include myself in this and hope that everybody else involved with the club, in whatever guise do the same.
Come on Poshies, let's all pull together and see if we can get some meaningful points on the board from the remaining 39, which are still available. No other teams seem to be able to string any really good results together yet and it will be those last few games that will really define whether we can get towards the playoffs or whether we need to concede that another season will be drawing to an end prematurely.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

john316z
Posts: 2118
Joined: 04 Dec 2011, 23:08

Re: Reading between the lines

Post by john316z » 25 Feb 2018, 18:14

ashman wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 17:51
I think that all the criticism of players and management is born out of genuine frustration from genuine supporters of our club. There are undoubtedly a few wind up merchants on social media sites who are just willing us to fail. I just hope that no notice is taken of them and that we can prove them wrong.
We certainly are struggling to find any sort of consistency about how to win football games at the moment. The only way we can help is to support the club in any way that we can think of. The way I can help is by attending matches and NOT having a go at those involved but get behind them through thick and thin. I include myself in this and hope that everybody else involved with the club, in whatever guise do the same.
Come on Poshies, let's all pull together and see if we can get some meaningful points on the board from the remaining 39, which are still available. No other teams seem to be able to string any really good results together yet and it will be those last few games that will really define whether we can get towards the playoffs or whether we need to concede that another season will be drawing to an end prematurely.
You're right Ashman on the genuine supporters and to get behind the club. However it doesn't mean that we shouldn't comment where we see the glaring issues in the club. I'd love nothing more than to see us rack up 39 points or something close to it. 1 win in 11 probably is a fair reflection on us since September and more to do with why we'll not go up or get close to it despite all the other clubs attempts to give us every chance!

john316z
Posts: 2118
Joined: 04 Dec 2011, 23:08

Re: Reading between the lines

Post by john316z » 25 Feb 2018, 18:17

bristleposh wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 10:56
I was denounced as an idiot for saying players like Freestone should be starting, yet according to a lot of people he was our man of the match yesterday. If we keep playing these pretty boy players with no team ethic we will never be able to reach the heights most of us would like. Marriott and Maddison have wonderful statistics, but because of their greed we are not getting the results that a team should be getting.
It was all going really well until the last paragraph, with some valid points. We really are a boring team to watch despite what McCann or MacAnthony might try to sell us differently

I can only contemplate relegation without either of our pretty boys, whether or not you can blame them for the lack of team ethic or the manager is debatable. In business that comes down to the manager. Football is possibly no different

User avatar
Chompy
Posts: 5273
Joined: 19 Jul 2005, 16:26

Re: Reading between the lines

Post by Chompy » 25 Feb 2018, 18:24

ashman wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 17:51
I think that all the criticism of players and management is born out of genuine frustration from genuine supporters of our club. There are undoubtedly a few wind up merchants on social media sites who are just willing us to fail. I just hope that no notice is taken of them and that we can prove them wrong.
We certainly are struggling to find any sort of consistency about how to win football games at the moment. The only way we can help is to support the club in any way that we can think of. The way I can help is by attending matches and NOT having a go at those involved but get behind them through thick and thin. I include myself in this and hope that everybody else involved with the club, in whatever guise do the same.
Come on Poshies, let's all pull together and see if we can get some meaningful points on the board from the remaining 39, which are still available. No other teams seem to be able to string any really good results together yet and it will be those last few games that will really define whether we can get towards the playoffs or whether we need to concede that another season will be drawing to an end prematurely.
Quixotic nonsense.

The fact you choose to issue rallying calls at this time is ridiculous and it doesn't make you a 'better' fan than those showing their disgust.

Open your eyes!

The levels of apathy on display yesterday, from players and fans alike, were like the bad old days. We're being served up garbage football by a talented squad. You do the math.

superposh80
Posts: 5511
Joined: 03 Jul 2012, 19:33

Re: Reading between the lines

Post by superposh80 » 25 Feb 2018, 18:44

ashman wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 17:51
I think that all the criticism of players and management is born out of genuine frustration from genuine supporters of our club. There are undoubtedly a few wind up merchants on social media sites who are just willing us to fail. I just hope that no notice is taken of them and that we can prove them wrong.
We certainly are struggling to find any sort of consistency about how to win football games at the moment. The only way we can help is to support the club in any way that we can think of. The way I can help is by attending matches and NOT having a go at those involved but get behind them through thick and thin. I include myself in this and hope that everybody else involved with the club, in whatever guise do the same.
Come on Poshies, let's all pull together and see if we can get some meaningful points on the board from the remaining 39, which are still available. No other teams seem to be able to string any really good results together yet and it will be those last few games that will really define whether we can get towards the playoffs or whether we need to concede that another season will be drawing to an end prematurely.
Stop kidding yourself Ashman....

It's over for the season.

The fans know it...The player's know it...As do Darragh and Grant.

User avatar
stuie
Posts: 15421
Joined: 18 Jun 2007, 15:14
Location: cheshire

Re: Reading between the lines

Post by stuie » 25 Feb 2018, 19:39

ashman wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 15:52
bristleposh wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 10:56
Not difficult as most of them have been printed in capital letters and underlined. Most of the time I listen to the matches on the radio, equally as painful as being there, apart from the cold this time of year, I assure you. However according to Chompy that means I'm not entitled to an opinion.

Posh this season are not very good, according to most posters that is because of the manager, the fact that we have too many individuals may also be much of the reason. When we lost to Lincoln earlier in the year, I said that their kick and run, was at least getting results. To which my arguments were denounced by all. However, by the sound of the commentary and others comments from posters on this and other media outlets, that is exactly the type of football we are playing the ball either ending up at a centre back or the goalkeeper who then lumps the ball up front where we have two or three little forward players and we lose possession. Which is why the teams we play against, as poor as Wimbledon, Blackpool, Southend etc come on to us because we keep losing possession.

I was denounced as an idiot for saying players like Freestone should be starting, yet according to a lot of people he was our man of the match yesterday. If we keep playing these pretty boy players with no team ethic we will never be able to reach the heights most of us would like. Marriott and Maddison have wonderful statistics, but because of their greed we are not getting the results that a team should be getting.
I don't think anybody denounced you as an idiot bristle for playing Freestone, and yesterday, along with Leo, he was was considered to be joint MOTM candidates. Your point about Maddison and Marriott being the reason that we are not getting the results we should, by being greedy is wrong on so many levels.
I totally agree with SP80's post 'Without them we'd be in the bottom four no doubt' and is much nearer to the truth!

The rest of this topic ahas been deleted as SPAM!
gpwm :stupid: :comeon:
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

User avatar
stuie
Posts: 15421
Joined: 18 Jun 2007, 15:14
Location: cheshire

Re: Reading between the lines

Post by stuie » 25 Feb 2018, 19:47

the irony of it all, is that we can still make 6th position
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 27094
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Reading between the lines

Post by bristleposh » 25 Feb 2018, 20:53

stuie wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 19:47
the irony of it all, is that we can still make 6th position
I could still pull a young bird, but it ain't gonna happen
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

superposh80
Posts: 5511
Joined: 03 Jul 2012, 19:33

Re: Reading between the lines

Post by superposh80 » 25 Feb 2018, 21:34

stuie wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 19:47
the irony of it all, is that we can still make 6th position
No we can't.

Ceenitall
Posts: 1214
Joined: 26 Feb 2013, 11:18

Re: Reading between the lines

Post by Ceenitall » 25 Feb 2018, 21:38

stuie wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 19:47
the irony of it all, is that we can still make 6th position
What's going to change then, to facilitate that?

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 18990
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Reading between the lines

Post by tonyp » 26 Feb 2018, 00:04

pleasureboy60 wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 16:10
As a club we need to learn and learn fast, otherwise we are going to be in this league for a very long time.
I wouldn't count on it.
There are two ways out of this league.
Being happy never goes out of style

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests