Posh v Southend

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

superposh80

Re: Posh v Southend

Post by superposh80 » 04 Feb 2018, 19:26

Chompy wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 18:38
I'd give him two more games. If he loses both, I'd sack him.

Let the new guy have 14 games to either get a late run going, or start building for next season.
Interesting....

We have a talented bunch but there's clearly a missing link.

Darragh isn't a patient man.

john316z

Post by john316z » 04 Feb 2018, 19:37

superposh80 wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 19:26
Chompy wrote:

Let the new guy have 14 games to either get a late run going, or start building for next season.
Interesting....

We have a talented bunch but there's clearly a missing link.

Darragh isn't a patient man.
I don't see this happening at all. Darragh will let McCann keep going just because of how much he's backed him up again. But another failed attempt at promotion will surely be the end for him. Worth remembering that he's given McCann more chances than previous manager under his regime. At some point it has to end or he needs to come out and admit and mid-table obscurity in L1 with the occasional flirt at the play-offs is good enough

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 04 Feb 2018, 19:49

He will get and deserves to do so, survival until the end of the Season. If we stay in League 1 he will move on IMO.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

PoshCynic

Post by PoshCynic » 04 Feb 2018, 19:55

Brianposh wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 19:49
He will get and deserves to do so, survival until the end of the Season. If we stay in League 1 he will move on IMO.
Mr McCann will not leave voluntarily. What other club will offer him a job as manager with his track record as Manager at Posh?

He will stay until his contract runs off or the Chairman realises that he is not up to the job at Posh? Sadly, I fear that Mr MacAnthony will not accept that.

bettingbill

Post by bettingbill » 04 Feb 2018, 20:27

JohnC wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 16:48
bettingbill wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 10:57
Chompy wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 01:17

Look who's back. It's the non-Posh supporting Posh 'fan'. Guess we must have lost today?
May be the case, but does he not have a point. I thibk you were one of the people who said Cooper must start but he was one of many who had stinkers. Can forgive Bogle in his debut for being so.....ordinary as he only met his team mates a couple of days previously.

Alan Swanns love child MM looked lazy and contributed next to nothing (again) and though Jack did little either, one great chance apart how much did we create for him?

The midfield generally failed to match the physicality of our opponents and our defence is looking more wobbly with each game that passes, to the extent that many around me were even questioning the recent performances of Taylor who with his experience should surely be the glue that holds them all together?

Thought yesterday was a must win game, still do and though five points isnt insurmountable it's bloody worrying isn't it...dreadful 90 mins!
'....MM looked lazy and contributed next to nothing....'
As I recall (I stand to be corrected), Maddison twice set up Marriott for one-on-one chances, one in each half, and both of Hughes' disallowed 'goals' came from Maddison crosses. If Marriott and Hughes had managed their chances better, we might be talking about Maddison's 'four-assist day'.'
Quick question did you think MM put in any Kind of a shift
today, two passes finding their intended target does not a great game make. In fact without wanting to unduly berate our most creative player what was the last league game you can remember putting in a shift?

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 04 Feb 2018, 20:48

Brianposh wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 19:49
That will depend on how desperate Darragh is to get out of this league.

So far....There is no evidence that McCann.... will or ever will...get this club promoted.

Lewis

Post by Lewis » 04 Feb 2018, 20:56

Looking at yesterday's starting line-up,I think it is fair to say most of us would have picked the same team.Even allowing for new players bedding themselves in though,it was clearly a performance of staggering ineptitude.Incredibly,we are still in with a shout of the playoffs but it is looking increasingly unlikely.Grant McCann's loyalty to the club,as a player and manager,cannot be doubted,but i am sad to say his ability to motivate and organise this current squad is.
UTP

JohnC

Post by JohnC » 04 Feb 2018, 21:22

bettingbill wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 20:27
JohnC wrote:
bettingbill wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 10:57

May be the case, but does he not have a point. I thibk you were one of the people who said Cooper must start but he was one of many who had stinkers. Can forgive Bogle in his debut for being so.....ordinary as he only met his team mates a couple of days previously.

Alan Swanns love child MM looked lazy and contributed next to nothing (again) and though Jack did little either, one great chance apart how much did we create for him?

The midfield generally failed to match the physicality of our opponents and our defence is looking more wobbly with each game that passes, to the extent that many around me were even questioning the recent performances of Taylor who with his experience should surely be the glue that holds them all together?

Thought yesterday was a must win game, still do and though five points isnt insurmountable it's bloody worrying isn't it...dreadful 90 mins!
As I recall (I stand to be corrected), Maddison twice set up Marriott for one-on-one chances, one in each half, and both of Hughes' disallowed 'goals' came from Maddison crosses. If Marriott and Hughes had managed their chances better, we might be talking about Maddison's 'four-assist day'.'
Quick question did you think MM put in any Kind of a shift
today, two passes finding their intended target does not a great game make. In fact without wanting to unduly berate our most creative player what was the last league game you can remember putting in a shift?

'....two passes finding their intended target....' is, I think, factually incorrect, and therefore a reasonable approximation of a lie.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 04 Feb 2018, 21:41

here's one....

southend fans have travelled over 2,500 miles since last seeing their team win away from home.

peterborough united....helping play struggling sides back into form since early september.

well done lads. :clap2:

JohnC

Post by JohnC » 04 Feb 2018, 22:42

john316z wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 17:09
JohnC wrote:
Trouble is though John for all his magnificence with assists and ability to turn games, he is without doubt the laziest player by far in our side. Yesterday he seemed petulant throughout the whole game and we should be entitled to expect much more from him.

It's laughable to criticise Hughes for yesterday as 1 of the chances he failed (in your happy place head) to manage was blatantly onside and the other one debatable but probably offside. marriott is a different story and I've commented on that in a different thread.

As long as Maddision remains lazy in between his often brilliance he'll remain our most prized asset that nobody wants
I intended no criticism of Hughes; at least he found the net on both occasions, unlike Marriott. I'd take issue with your adjectives 'blatantly' and 'probably', and offer 'marginally' and 'definitely' instead. On both occasions, though, Hughes is the 'last man' from the crosser, and can look along the whole line of defenders. Anderson had a headed 'goal' in the Checkatrade Trophy against the same opponents disallowed for offside when he was similarly in a position to see all of the defenders between himself and the crosser (yes, it was Maddison). Are the fundamentals being coached properly at the club? Whether Hughes was or was not offside doesn't detract from the quality of Maddison's passes.
I don't see any justification for the callow jibe : 'in your happy place head'. What exactly do you mean by this?

john316z

Post by john316z » 05 Feb 2018, 00:11

JohnC wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 22:42
I intended no criticism of Hughes; at least he found the net on both occasions, unlike Marriott. I'd take issue with your adjectives 'blatantly' and 'probably', and offer 'marginally' and 'definitely' instead. On both occasions, though, Hughes is the 'last man' from the crosser, and can look along the whole line of defenders. Anderson had a headed 'goal' in the Checkatrade Trophy against the same opponents disallowed for offside when he was similarly in a position to see all of the defenders between himself and the crosser (yes, it was Maddison). Are the fundamentals being coached properly at the club? Whether Hughes was or was not offside doesn't detract from the quality of Maddison's passes.
I don't see any justification for the callow jibe : 'in your happy place head'. What exactly do you mean by this?
Rudimentary watching the video highlights would have identified the "1st goal" was not offside... I assume you either chose to ignore that, not watch it or just be determined to disagree. I'll leave that with you to decide. You can't blame Hughes right for timing his run well for it to be ruled offside. Perhaps the club should be coaching players to judge the decisions of the officials :roll:

As I've read elsewhere 4 crosses in 100 minutes of football doesn't stand out as much of an overall contribution

Ceenitall

Post by Ceenitall » 05 Feb 2018, 10:04

john316z wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 19:04
Ceenitall wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 19:02
Chompy wrote:

Listen who's taking notice of Ceenitall? I've been telling you lot about that clown McCann all season.
I don't get you at all.... You sound delighted with the position we are in? Posh fan or No. 1 troller?
Do you agree with McCann....everything wrong at Posh is down to match officials?... Nothing at all to do with him!

stuie

Post by stuie » 05 Feb 2018, 10:25

Ceenitall wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 10:04

Do you agree with McCann....everything wrong at Posh is down to match officials?... Nothing at all to do with him!
Where has McCann said this, false news

McCann is to blame for our league position and standard, or lack of it, player motivation

DMAC has done us proud year in year out, including this transfer window

by the way as a referee, are you happy with the standard of officiating at Posh games
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 05 Feb 2018, 11:30

Ceenitall is a complete referee, no doubt about that.
Ceenitall wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 19:02
Chompy wrote:

Listen who's taking notice of Ceenitall? I've been telling you lot about that clown McCann all season.
Nope, entirely my opinion. I hope I'm able to make a balanced argument, unlike some.

JohnC

Post by JohnC » 05 Feb 2018, 23:09

john316z wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 00:11
JohnC wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 22:42
Rudimentary watching the video highlights would have identified the "1st goal" was not offside... I assume you either chose to ignore that, not watch it or just be determined to disagree. I'll leave that with you to decide. You can't blame Hughes right for timing his run well for it to be ruled offside. Perhaps the club should be coaching players to judge the decisions of the officials :roll:

As I've read elsewhere 4 crosses in 100 minutes of football doesn't stand out as much of an overall contribution
Fair enough; if Hughes' first effort was not offside, I suppose we'll be getting a formal apology along the lines of what what happened after Morias' 'goal' at Walsall was disallowed. In the ground, but not in line, I thought Hughes was onside for the first. I thought Southend's Yearwood should have been sent off. I thought Shephard should have been sent off in the first couple of minutes against Oldham. And so on. i thought Maddison was our most effective forward player, and I believe that post-match recriminations shouldn't start with, or focus on him. I feel that to sum up his contribution as '4 crosses in 100 minutes of football' is unfair, not least because it's almost certainly inaccurate. If Doughty were to replace Forrester, I suppose the manager could always sit Maddison in favour of a game-changer like.... er.... LDSL or Anderson.