Posh v Southend

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

superposh80

Posh v Southend

Post by superposh80 » 28 Jan 2018, 09:56

there's 3 play off places up for grabs...and we need to forget the last few days and string a good run of results together.

gillingham and plymouth are doing it...why can't we? well, i have my doubts because we remain so inconsistent and unpredictable that any more than a couple of wins on the spin appears difficult with this bunch.

southend have just appointed a decent manager in powell...and had their new manager bounce yesterday, so no excusses...

bond...shepherd. taffazoli. taylor. hughes....grant. forrester. maddison. cooper...marriott. morias.

bristleposh

Re: Posh v Southend

Post by bristleposh » 28 Jan 2018, 10:17

superposh80 wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 09:56
there's 3 play off places up for grabs...and we need to forget the last few days and string a good run of results together.

gillingham and plymouth are doing it...why can't we? well, i have my doubts because we remain so inconsistent and unpredictable that any more than a couple of wins on the spin appears difficult with this bunch.

southend have just appointed a decent manager in powell...and had their new manager bounce yesterday, so no excusses...

bond...shepherd. taffazoli. taylor. hughes....grant. forrester. maddison. cooper...marriott. morias.
I'm not disagreeing with you but I'd use the same players in a hopefully more defensive line up

http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 28 Jan 2018, 10:39

Morias isn't a midfielder...

He's a striker and needs to be upfront with Marriott

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 28 Jan 2018, 10:51

We need to go back to a 4-4-2 but won't. We'll persevere with this nonsense of Junior in midfield and a 4-3-3.

Maddison shouldn't be in the XI in current form but of course will be.

I wouldn't want to try and put a line-up together until Deadline Day has come and gone though. The futility of those asking DMac on Twitter if we're done transfer-wise, or quoting him when he says he's finished and is back off to the USA...too funny for words.

As for Southend, they'd gone stale under Orange Phil, with too many old players who'd been there for too long, and a troublemaker in the camp in MM's old mucker Nile Ranger.

Brown and Ranger are now gone and, as SP noted, they definitely had a new-manager reaction yesterday, albeit against another top-six side having a slump in Scunthorpe.

We are better than Southend, especially minus Ryan Leonard, but anyone seeing their reaction to the third goal v Scunny will know we'll have to be right on it mentally. That's the main concern. Whether the Leicester choke will have left a mark against a team full of beans. Worrying.

john316z

Post by john316z » 28 Jan 2018, 10:53

Side picks itself and certainly good enough to push on for 1 of the remaining spots with no cup distractions. Cooper should cover off Maddisons poor form of late at least. Side is better with Junior in it than when not. Read somewhere we have lost 5 in 23 (all competitions) so certainly good enough. Will it happen? Let's see and (hopefully) enjoy the ride!

ashman

Post by ashman » 28 Jan 2018, 10:54

superposh80 wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 10:39

Where has the management got this idea from since his return from injury? When he was playing before, he was always played as an out and out striker alongside Jack.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 28 Jan 2018, 11:02

One thing all this does confirm is how much faith DMac has in GM and how much more leeway he's getting compared to his predecessors.

Darragh has always pretty much insisted on two up front but said on Twitter he's been sold on the 4-3-3 formation. No way that would have happened in previous seasons. That was fine while Junior was injured but now he's become another chunky square peg in a round hole.

Yes he did well a few times dropping deep and smacking in unstoppable shots, but that's different to playing as an attacking midfielder.

You'd hope that will end right here, with Cooper available for selection again after two games cup-tied.

The Marriott-Morias partnership was responsible for a large part of our early-season success and the sooner they're back together the better. If it means Forrester has to go back on the bench for now, then so be it.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 28 Jan 2018, 11:04

superposh80 wrote:

Southend last 8 away games
Won 1
Drawn 1
Lost 6
Goals for 4
Goals against 16

With Morias and/or Marriott up front we should make short work of Southend even wth their new manager.
Being happy never goes out of style

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 28 Jan 2018, 13:36

ashman wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 10:54
superposh80 wrote:

Where has the management got this idea from since his return from injury? When he was playing before, he was always played as an out and out striker alongside Jack.
Morias is being played in the position that we wanted josh Cullen to fill but it's alien to him...and as Chompy says, it's square pegs in round holes...again.

Southend's away form is irrelevant here...They have new management and it's like a fresh start for them. They're a physical side and will be a dangerous opponent.

My worry is us though....We are looking leggy and we'll have to see how the last week has effected us mentally.

This isn't normally our time of year....big test for McCann and the next few weeks will make or break our season.

bettingbill

Post by bettingbill » 28 Jan 2018, 15:22

Chompy wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 11:02
One thing all this does confirm is how much faith DMac has in GM and how much more leeway he's getting compared to his predecessors.

Darragh has always pretty much insisted on two up front but said on Twitter he's been sold on the 4-3-3 formation. No way that would have happened in previous seasons. That was fine while Junior was injured but now he's become another chunky square peg in a round hole.

Yes he did well a few times dropping deep and smacking in unstoppable shots, but that's different to playing as an attacking midfielder.

You'd hope that will end right here, with Cooper available for selection again after two games cup-tied.

The Marriott-Morias partnership was responsible for a large part of our early-season success and the sooner they're back together the better. If it means Forrester has to go back on the bench for now, then so be it.
Disagree. Whilst not his fault, Junior doesnt look anywhere near the player he was pre injury and even if he was has never struck me as an out and out CF like JM, possibly he may suit the team better playing as the number ten.
Despite a stinker yesterday would much prefer Forrester to play as an extra midfield player and have Lloyd, who illogically considering his goals, am also not totally convinced about or Cooper playing out wide. Whatever the formation though if we want to fill one of the play off spots, is this not a must win game?

john316z

Post by john316z » 28 Jan 2018, 16:27

Lloyd seems to spend the whole time controlling the ball with one of these.... Sometimes he controls the ball further than I can kick it!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Football-Train ... s_sp_1_vtp

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 28 Jan 2018, 16:38

:) :) :)

ashman

Post by ashman » 30 Jan 2018, 12:05

Peterborough United v Southend United

REFEREE: DEAN WHITESTONE

ASSISTANT REFEREES: Paul Yates and Ian Rathbone

Fourth Official: Nicholas Cooper
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 30 Jan 2018, 12:20

ashman wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 12:05
Peterborough United v Southend United

REFEREE: DEAN WHITESTONE

ASSISTANT REFEREES: Paul Yates and Ian Rathbone

Fourth Official: Nicholas Cooper
Anthony Grant will be happy.
Being happy never goes out of style

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 31 Jan 2018, 13:49

Anyone else got there 58% off ticket offer for this game?

I go every home game but because I rarely buy a ticket online....but did for the Leicester game....I've got the offer....

Nice.