Will struggle if Marriott leaves

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

User avatar
Chenza
Posts: 738
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:23
Location: Everywhere

Will struggle if Marriott leaves

Post by Chenza » 24 Jan 2018, 17:59

Example from last night without Marriott we are a mid div one team with no goal power Lloyd did ok but let's be honest he's no jack Marriott if Marriott is sold say goodbye to the play offs, no he's not a one man team but he creates options and how many times will posh learn selling our better players whilst we are in a decent position getting into the playoffs.Dont see wigan, Blackburn even Shrewsbury selling there better players whilst in a good position in the league.Surely getting into the championship will bring in just as much money than selling Marriott.
BORN & BRED PETERBORIAN....TRUE BLUE

User avatar
Chompy
Posts: 5223
Joined: 19 Jul 2005, 16:26

Re: Will struggle if Marriott leaves

Post by Chompy » 24 Jan 2018, 18:30

Is it ever that black and white?

We're 2-1 to make the top six and 8-1 to win the play-offs, so our chances of promotion are currently remote. Holding on to a £6m+ asset solely to chase an unlikely promotion might not be the best idea?

What if he does a Jermaine and becomes essentially worthless for a year and a half?

superposh80
Posts: 5467
Joined: 03 Jul 2012, 19:33

Re: Will struggle if Marriott leaves

Post by superposh80 » 24 Jan 2018, 18:31

Check the league table....We're not much more than a mid table league one team anyway are we?

As for Marriott...in the highly unlikely event that he is sold this month, we'll just have to sign another striker.

Which we need anyway.

User avatar
Chenza
Posts: 738
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:23
Location: Everywhere

Re: Will struggle if Marriott leaves

Post by Chenza » 24 Jan 2018, 19:05

superposh80 wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 18:31
Check the league table....We're not much more than a mid table league one team anyway are we?

As for Marriott...in the highly unlikely event that he is sold this month, we'll just have to sign another striker.

Which we need anyway.
Previous seasons when we sell our strikers we drop Assombalonga ,Washington ,gayle just to name a few what's the point of building for a promotion push when we sell our better payers only to recruit new ones the sell again. It's all about the money and if that's the case there is no ambition sell a player who cost us cheap make 6 million good business if ur the owner crap business if ur a supporter happens every season.
BORN & BRED PETERBORIAN....TRUE BLUE

User avatar
Chenza
Posts: 738
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:23
Location: Everywhere

Re: Will struggle if Marriott leaves

Post by Chenza » 24 Jan 2018, 19:09

Chompy wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 18:30
Is it ever that black and white?

We're 2-1 to make the top six and 8-1 to win the play-offs, so our chances of promotion are currently remote. Holding on to a £6m+ asset solely to chase an unlikely promotion might not be the best idea?

What if he does a Jermaine and becomes essentially worthless for a year and a half?
Where does this leave us fans ??
Every season promises of a promotion push our players perform hit high standards then BANG SOLD only for us fans to wait again the following season then it all happens again.... good business ?? Nar promises and lies
BORN & BRED PETERBORIAN....TRUE BLUE

User avatar
Chenza
Posts: 738
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:23
Location: Everywhere

Re: Will struggle if Marriott leaves

Post by Chenza » 24 Jan 2018, 19:16

Is it purely we buy bargin players to sell ??
Or we buy players to hold on to and challenge for the title or playoffs
We won two promotions by keeping the holy Trinity together.
BORN & BRED PETERBORIAN....TRUE BLUE

User avatar
Chompy
Posts: 5223
Joined: 19 Jul 2005, 16:26

Re: Will struggle if Marriott leaves

Post by Chompy » 24 Jan 2018, 19:17

Chenza wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 19:05
superposh80 wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 18:31
Check the league table....We're not much more than a mid table league one team anyway are we?

As for Marriott...in the highly unlikely event that he is sold this month, we'll just have to sign another striker.

Which we need anyway.
Previous seasons when we sell our strikers we drop Assombalonga ,Washington ,gayle just to name a few what's the point of building for a promotion push when we sell our better payers only to recruit new ones the sell again. It's all about the money and if that's the case there is no ambition sell a player who cost us cheap make 6 million good business if ur the owner crap business if ur a supporter happens every season.
And every season we're in the top half of L1 despite gates that shouldn't have us anywhere near that position.

Take a look at where the likes of Cobblers and MK Dons are and how many saleable assets each has. They can probably muster Chuks Aneke between them. We have Marriott, Maddison, Tafazolli, plus a few others.

Our model works fantastically well and Jack is the next success story to keep us in good shape for a good few seasons to come.

Also, why deny the player his opportunity? He took a pay cut to come to us in order to advertise his talents. He's too good for L1, so why hold him back?

User avatar
Chompy
Posts: 5223
Joined: 19 Jul 2005, 16:26

Re: Will struggle if Marriott leaves

Post by Chompy » 24 Jan 2018, 19:20

Chenza wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 19:16
Is it purely we buy bargin players to sell ??
Or we buy players to hold on to and challenge for the title or playoffs
We won two promotions by keeping the holy Trinity together.
We're not in a position to gamble this season.

If I were DMac I'd sell Marriott and put together a squad capable of going up automatically next season.

We've come a long way in the last six months or so and now's the time to play the long game.

User avatar
Chenza
Posts: 738
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:23
Location: Everywhere

Re: Will struggle if Marriott leaves

Post by Chenza » 24 Jan 2018, 19:25

The reason behind what your saying is that we have small gates so we have to sell to keep the club afloat.
More fans will leave every single season die hard fans or not if you continue to sell ur better players and achieve nothing season in season out fans ain't coming back.every single season we are promised a promotion push,only to be there or there abouts to get it taken away again.
Think you will find that's what happened and what was said last season
BORN & BRED PETERBORIAN....TRUE BLUE

User avatar
Chompy
Posts: 5223
Joined: 19 Jul 2005, 16:26

Re: Will struggle if Marriott leaves

Post by Chompy » 24 Jan 2018, 19:29

Of course, DMac is a salesman. All his geese are always swans, but fans should be realistic shouldn't they?

We only have die-hard supporters now anyway.

All the glory hunters will be out in force this weekend, but otherwise we're pretty much down to the hardcore week in, week out in the league. Peterborough is not a football city.

User avatar
Chenza
Posts: 738
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:23
Location: Everywhere

Re: Will struggle if Marriott leaves

Post by Chenza » 24 Jan 2018, 19:32

There you go ..... If u work at a work place and some other company comes in and changes everything that u have been use to for 20 years and you don't like it u move on fans are no different
BORN & BRED PETERBORIAN....TRUE BLUE

User avatar
Chenza
Posts: 738
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:23
Location: Everywhere

Re: Will struggle if Marriott leaves

Post by Chenza » 24 Jan 2018, 19:33

The reason behind what your saying is that we have small gates so we have to sell to keep the club afloat.
More fans will leave every single season die hard fans or not if you continue to sell ur better players and achieve nothing season in season out fans ain't coming back.every single season we are promised a promotion push,only to be there or there abouts to get it taken away again.
BORN & BRED PETERBORIAN....TRUE BLUE

User avatar
Chompy
Posts: 5223
Joined: 19 Jul 2005, 16:26

Re: Will struggle if Marriott leaves

Post by Chompy » 24 Jan 2018, 19:36

I take your point.

Not sure you take any of mine though?

superposh80
Posts: 5467
Joined: 03 Jul 2012, 19:33

Re: Will struggle if Marriott leaves

Post by superposh80 » 24 Jan 2018, 19:40

No one's taken away anything this season yet have they?

Be fair to Darragh here...How many lower league clubs with 5k gates could afford to turn down multi million pound bids?...Us, thanks to the chairman.

My opinion is that he'll sell no one...bring in another striker...and go all out for a play off win.

If that fails...We sell our assets in the summer and build again.

That's what we do.

User avatar
stuie
Posts: 15402
Joined: 18 Jun 2007, 15:14
Location: cheshire

Re: Will struggle if Marriott leaves

Post by stuie » 24 Jan 2018, 20:40

I remember being gutted when Simon Davis and Matthew Ethrington went to Tottenham, thought that was the end
As I recall Posh performed well after their departure, an better since
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests