PoshCynic

Re: Had to be Harry..

Post by PoshCynic » 25 Jan 2018, 20:51

superposh80 wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 20:34
Superior at what....

Physical kick and run football?

No thanks.
Getting the best out of the players at his disposal. A good manager melds a group of players into a team -the team as a whole being better than the individuals in it. The Cowley brothers were successful at Braintree - since they left, Braintree have been relegated. They immediately gained promotion with Lincoln & had a good cup run last season.

Peterborough might well have superior individual players but if so, why did Posh lose to a team with players of lesser individual ability? The Lincoln players have been schooled to make the best use of their more limited skills. Does Mr McCann make the best use of the players he manages?

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 25 Jan 2018, 21:51

PoshCynic wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 20:51
superposh80 wrote:
Superior at what....

No thanks.
Getting the best out of the players at his disposal. A good manager melds a group of players into a team -the team as a whole being better than the individuals in it. The Cowley brothers were successful at Braintree - since they left, Braintree have been relegated. They immediately gained promotion with Lincoln & had a good cup run last season.

Peterborough might well have superior individual players but if so, why did Posh lose to a team with players of lesser individual ability? The Lincoln players have been schooled to make the best use of their more limited skills. Does Mr McCann make the best use of the players he manages?
Posh lost because...believe it or not....teams lose football matches.

Cowley may have got the best out of what he's got...but what he's got is a football team that I wouldn't want to watch every week.

Say what you like about McCann...and he has his faults...but he tries and wants to play football the right way, as we did at Villa park.

In a million years, Lincoln would never have gone to Aston Villa and played them off the park like we did.

john316z

Post by john316z » 25 Jan 2018, 21:55

superposh80 wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 21:51
PoshCynic wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 20:51
superposh80 wrote:
Superior at what....

No thanks.

Cowley may have got the best out of what he's got...but what he's got is a football team that I wouldn't want to watch every week.

Say what you like about McCann...and he has his faults...but he tries and wants to play football the right way, as we did at Villa park.

In a million years, Lincoln would never have gone to Aston Villa and played them off the park like we did.
Spot on. Horses for courses. I'd rather watch something else than what Lincoln offer

ashman

Post by ashman » 25 Jan 2018, 21:57

superposh80 wrote:
Absolutely spot on.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 25 Jan 2018, 22:30

ashman wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 21:57
superposh80 wrote:
Absolutely spot on.
They didn't do too badly against Ipswich, Burnley, and Brighton last season
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

john316z

Post by john316z » 25 Jan 2018, 22:49

bristleposh wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 22:30
True but difference to winning than playing Villa off the park as we did though. How many games have we won this season when we didn't deserve to? More than 3 I'd wager

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 25 Jan 2018, 23:08

john316z wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 22:49
bristleposh wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 22:30
True but difference to winning than playing Villa off the park as we did though. How many games have we won this season when we didn't deserve to? More than 3 I'd wager
No one's denying the fact they've done well over the last 18 months....

The issue here is their style of football to ours.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 25 Jan 2018, 23:55

I honestly don't see even a discussion here.

We're infinitely better placed than Lincoln.

I wouldn't swap any players, the manager (I'm becoming a McCann fan at an alarming rate) or the philosophy of the club.

Using a one-off result, or their hoof-and-chase cup run of last season as an argument is so flawed.

The only thing I'd take is their fan base over ours.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 26 Jan 2018, 06:46

You know what it's like though Chompy....

If an ex player scores against us we should have never sold him.

If a club like Lincoln turn us over we should be copying their model.

You couldn't make it up really.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 26 Jan 2018, 09:11

superposh80 wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 06:46
On this message board you can make anything up.
Being happy never goes out of style

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 26 Jan 2018, 10:13

superposh80 wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 06:46
You know what it's like though Chompy....

If an ex player scores against us we should have never sold him.

If a club like Lincoln turn us over we should be copying their model.

Being a regular on this board, it's easy to get a sense of how it feels to be DMac. Most of the comments are so wide of the mark it's ridiculous, and the majority of it is basically moans or personal vendettas (Ceentall a perfect example).

Imp around the world

Post by Imp around the world » 27 Jan 2018, 15:47

Chompy wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 23:55

I wouldn't swap any players, the manager (I'm becoming a McCann fan at an alarming rate) or the philosophy of the club.

Using a one-off result, or their hoof-and-chase cup run of last season as an argument is so flawed.

You wouldn't swap any of yours for Woodyard then? England C captain and head and shoulders our best player on the pitch this and last season. He would walk into any league One team (including yours). He didn't play against you Tuesday as he was suspended.

We will continue to hoof and chase as you so eloquently put it because it wins us matches and gets the best out of our squad as someone else on here pointed out.

I see you played like Barcelona today and still conceded 5 Chompy!? As a one off we beat Burnley AWAY.

It was nice seeing the Posh fans leaving early two games running.

As for becoming a McCann fan, it shows what he is like getting in excuse after excuse for losing against us. That is one thing Danny Cowley never does, he has too much class and says things as they are rather than trying to deflect the blame.

Sorry, you can't have our fan base, nearly 6000 ST holders and the people are firmly back in love with our club.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 27 Jan 2018, 16:31

Not sure why you're taking it personally. We are not in direct competition with each other. In case you hadn't noticed we are currently in different leagues.

I'm happy for you that you and 5,999 others enjoy watching your 'brand' of football, but you'll find out where you're at if you happen to get promoted this time. Hoofball will not cut in in the L1 the way it does in L2 and then Cowley's skills will be tested.

john316z

Post by john316z » 27 Jan 2018, 17:04

Imp around the world wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 15:47
Chompy wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 23:55

You wouldn't swap any of yours for Woodyard then? England C captain and head and shoulders our best player on the pitch this and last season. He would walk into any league One team (including yours). He didn't play against you Tuesday as he was suspended.

We will continue to hoof and chase as you so eloquently put it because it wins us matches and gets the best out of our squad as someone else on here pointed out.

I see you played like Barcelona today and still conceded 5 Chompy!? As a one off we beat Burnley AWAY.

It was nice seeing the Posh fans leaving early two games running.

As for becoming a McCann fan, it shows what he is like getting in excuse after excuse for losing against us. That is one thing Danny Cowley never does, he has too much class and says things as they are rather than trying to deflect the blame.

Sorry, you can't have our fan base, nearly 6000 ST holders and the people are firmly back in love with our club.
Still on here gloating? Jog on or hoof it back to L2.... When you can hold your own in L1 for a while co.e back and have a chat. Like others have said if you're happy with your style of football fair play to you.... Bit the fact you feel the need to keep quoting the odd win in the occasional cup run would suggest maybe kick and run to big lumps ain't all its cracked up to be

yellowbelly

Post by yellowbelly » 27 Jan 2018, 18:18

The only issue is people who've seen us play, ONCE, and LOST, usually spout the same old inaccurate crybaby bullying, footballing atrocity routine followed the vast depth of history of their puritan Brazilian style of play.
I can honestly say playing direct, pacy, wing fed crosses on the counter attack maximises the disruption to the oppositions defence. is good to watch and brings success that fills stadiums.
I'm Sure those who blindly believe an opinion formed on one game they probably never attended is accurate, but then I wasn't brought up on the streets of "Rio de Peterborough" playing football barefoot aged 8 weeks onwards.
I guess "ugly Leicester" must have copied our tactics on 5 lucky breaks against the run of play...........
Lets talk again next season as we pass each other by in the closed season and on the A1 on April 8th.