Had to be Harry..

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

impyyy

Had to be Harry..

Post by impyyy » 23 Jan 2018, 23:32

He's been a revelation!! Definitely our gain..

Best of luck for the season..

UTFI :clap:

Brianposh

Re: Had to be Harry..

Post by Brianposh » 24 Jan 2018, 01:09

He is going to be a very good footballer for certain.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 24 Jan 2018, 01:52

Ninja edit!
Evens Poshies, 3-1 Wombles, 5-2 Draw

impyyy

Post by impyyy » 24 Jan 2018, 08:58

Chompy wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 01:52
Ninja edit!
I originally only put Best of luck for the season..

Regarding Harry.. I think he could be our next £500k star. Reminds me of a young Gareth Ainsworth

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 24 Jan 2018, 10:22

Not you impyyy, the other gentleman ninja'd.

Harry A didn't suit our style of play at all. The fact he seems ideally suited to your...ahem...style, might put other clubs off?

No sour grapes here, it's obvious your players and fans have a lot of belief, presumaly inspired by your manager, but it's not for me. Good luck the rest of the way though.

Something tells me Chelsea U21 will prove unbeatable in this tourney.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 24 Jan 2018, 10:35

Anderson never showed anything at Posh....and was sold because he'd never have got a game ahead of Maddison and Edwards.

Right decision for all concerned.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 24 Jan 2018, 10:48

Their style Chompy, was to get the ball, keep the ball, run at pace with the ball to the by-line, have a big bullying lump up front who could jump and get his body on the line against two average defenders, they scored twice as many goals as us and wasted less of the ball they had than we did. You like statistics, so how many balls from our midfield found our two miniature forwards. Other teams not just Lincoln seem to have a knack of players the ball to players wearing the same colour shirt.
If I die tomorrow I'd be all right
Because I believe
That after we're gone The spirit carries on

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 24 Jan 2018, 10:49

Why anyone would get so giddy over a winger who has neither pace nor the ability to beat a man is beyond me.

An overly simplistic review their bristle. Lincoln don't possess a single player who'd get into our first team. For someone who isn't a whinger, you seem to be pretty down on our boys after one defeat against a well-drilled team?

Are you advocating a return to the dark ages?

We are in our best position as a club perhaps ever, with a £6m asset and a circa £3m asset in MM. We have cover at every position and have players/a style that's better suited to the league above than the league below.

For everything DMac said late last season, after a turnbulent time off the pitch, he seems to be to be more into it than ever. If he was genuinely thinking of pulling the plug, the signs would be there by now, but he's loving it. We are blessed. We've just signed a player in George Cooper that Lincoln could only dream of picking up currently. Let's have some insight please.

Yet still the 'get it forward Peterborough!', 'stick it on the head of XX Peterborough!' moaners come out after we've conceded a couple of late goals on a poor pitch. Had it gone to penalties and we'd taken them as well as v Luton, would you still be getting a lob on about Hoofy Harry and his pals?
Last edited by Chompy on 24 Jan 2018, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 24 Jan 2018, 11:03

Well drilled indeed, perhaps it is a management issue again. I wasn't particularly knocking our performance. I was suggesting that some of their tactics like passing the ball to the same colour shirt certainly have some merit. I also don't get your dislike of Anderson who after injury is a better prospect than his namesake. As for none of their players getting into our first team. How the hell do you explain the defeat.
If I die tomorrow I'd be all right
Because I believe
That after we're gone The spirit carries on

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 24 Jan 2018, 11:11

It's not a management issue.

I don't dislike Harry Anderson and you're right, he's now a better bet than Jermaine, but we didn't know that at the time of his release. It's a shame for Jermaine but it looks like two major injuries have done for him.

Harry A serves a purpose in the right team but that team isn't us and never will be us. Horses for courses and all that. By the same token, Jack Marriott would be nowhere near his current total had he gone to Lincoln in the summer instead.

How do I explain the defeat? Lincoln did what Lincoln do best on their own patch and we had a couple of key players missing, while a few others would have had their minds either on transfers or the Leicester game at the weekend. Maddison continues out of form, Junior is still working his way back, etc.

I genuinely wish Lincoln well but let's see how their style pans out for them over the course of an entire season in L1, should they manage to get up this time round.

You honestly envy anything about them? Would you rather have Harry A in the side ahead of Maddison or Gwion?

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 24 Jan 2018, 12:16

bristleposh wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 11:03
Well drilled indeed, perhaps it is a management issue again. I wasn't particularly knocking our performance. I was suggesting that some of their tactics like passing the ball to the same colour shirt certainly have some merit. I also don't get your dislike of Anderson who after injury is a better prospect than his namesake. As for none of their players getting into our first team. How the hell do you explain the defeat.
Good post bristle. :comeon:
Being happy never goes out of style

stuie

Post by stuie » 24 Jan 2018, 20:19

Chompy wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 11:11

I don't dislike Harry Anderson and you're right, he's now a better bet than Jermaine, but we didn't know that at the time of his release. It's a shame for Jermaine but it looks like two major injuries have done for him.

Harry A serves a purpose in the right team but that team isn't us and never will be us. Horses for courses and all that. By the same token, Jack Marriott would be nowhere near his current total had he gone to Lincoln in the summer instead.

How do I explain the defeat? Lincoln did what Lincoln do best on their own patch and we had a couple of key players missing, while a few others would have had their minds either on transfers or the Leicester game at the weekend. Maddison continues out of form, Junior is still working his way back, etc.

I genuinely wish Lincoln well but let's see how their style pans out for them over the course of an entire season in L1, should they manage to get up this time round.

You honestly envy anything about them? Would you rather have Harry A in the side ahead of Maddison or Gwion?
spot on :stupid: :comeon:
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

PoshCynic

Post by PoshCynic » 24 Jan 2018, 20:29

stuie wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 20:19
Chompy wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 11:11

spot on :stupid: :comeon:
Yes, their superior team managers, the Cowley brothers.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 24 Jan 2018, 20:34

Superior at what....

Physical kick and run football?

No thanks.

yellowbelly

Post by yellowbelly » 24 Jan 2018, 23:03

Lets not be blinded by our loyalties, if you were indeed at the game you would have seen an end to end differing interpretations of the beautiful game, Lincoln do not bypass midfield, in fact why waste members of a 16 man squad with pacy wingers? Both sets of players were launching the ball, admittedly Lincoln more so out wide mostly on the counter whilst Posh wanted to retain posession.
Pushing the ball out wide at pace and percentage crosses to anyone making a run into the box is neither new, unethical or physical. The "big lump" only scored 1 and with 3 other scorers this team is no 1 trick pony as some opposing (sulking)managers claim.
I personally enjoyed a real derby feel with posh and welcome more next season all being well, it would do no harm to enjoy a proper tussle like last nights game. I've missed the "southern derby" over last few years.
As for Harry not being able beat a man or have pace, ask your fullbacks and backtracking wingers who were turned inside out over and again (not always granted) by both wingers (must have been 2 balls on the pitch as we only launch it route 1 apparently, but if thats whats been scouted -keep reporting that version)
Bossie of course never made it into your first team nor was any kind of fans favourite (chumpy)............? Shame Joe Ward never made it into our first team either, he's got something just needs game time.
Really liked the look of Danny Lloyd, who looked sharp and tricky every time. Heres hoping to a renewed Derby soon?