In defence of Danny Lloyd

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

JohnC

In defence of Danny Lloyd

Post by JohnC » 21 Jan 2018, 17:27

On other threads, there seems to be a degree of impatience with Lloyd, and I'm at something of a loss to understand the anxiety to see the back of our second-top scorer barely half-way through his first season with us.

I can't speak to any 'attitude problems' or off-field issues but I think that a player making the two steps up from National League to League One deserves a degree of patience -- just a portion of that lavished on LDSL would do.

Since goals are the ultimate hard currency of football, maybe we should compare his 10 goals in 24 appearances with other current or former players from whom we are/were entitled to expect goals.
Conor Washington had 15 goals in 31 appearances in his last half-season at London Road.
Junior Morais has 10 goals in 38 appearances for us.
Tom Nichols had 13 goals in 51 appearances in his last season at the Abax.
Michael Doughty and Chris Forrester have totalled 2 goals in 55 combined appearances.
LLDSL and Jermaine Anderson have amassed 0 goals in 55 appearances.

In goal-scoring terms, Lloyd has made a significantly better start to his Posh career than did Washington, Nichols and Morais.
The shortcomings in his game were apparent against Oldham, but his performance at Villa Park sticks more in my mind: in the first half, apart from the chances he missed, he twice set up Marriott for one-on-one openings with shrewd, penetrative, well-weighted forward passes; it was his attempt on goal which Marriott succesfully redirected for the equaliser; and in added time, after a headed clearance deep in our own half and with the siren call of Row Z loud in his ears, Lloyd instead calmly exchanged passes with Morais and helped to set up our third goal. He made an impact on the game, and he usually does.

Were he to play in all of our remaining fixtures, it's hard to imagine that Lloyd's goal tally would not exceed the 13 of last season's top scorer, Nichols. How would that be a bad return for a first season at this level? Washington took a long time to come to the boil for us; in fact, in his last half-season with us, he only had 1 goal in his first 13 League One appearances. More speculation: if Lloyd had had LDSL's playing time this season, we'd be in a play-off position now.
Last edited by JohnC on 21 Jan 2018, 17:40, edited 2 times in total.

Brianposh

Re: In defence of Danny Lloyd

Post by Brianposh » 21 Jan 2018, 17:34

True Washington did also took a great deal of flack in his few weeks/months as do most that firstly arrive at Posh. It is what the fans do on a regular basis and always have.
I remind everyone that Dennis Emery when he first arrived was criticised heavily by some, but turned out to be the best ever, and even George Boyd I have heard criticised badly by some morons only a few weeks ago.
It is the way we are.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 21 Jan 2018, 18:07

Always the same with players coming here, Posh fans notoriously go for the jugular as soon as a player has a barren spell. He's not good enough, he's not fit enough, he's a non league player. Oven not seen enough to make an informed opinion. When I have I don't mind speaking my mind, statistics don't impress me, fans fanaticism for players I don't think are as good at doing what they are supposed to do certainly don't. People know the players I criticise.

Marcus Madison - too much about me and not the team, if he allowed others to take the occasional free kick or corner perhaps others would have good stats too. Hasn't scored direct from a free kick in nearly two years.
Mark Little - very speedy going forward, not so quick going back. His forward round didn't come to a lot either and a lot of times when we conceded surprise surprise we had no right back in situ.
Craig Morgan - nowhere near as good as some of the centre halves we've had. The fact that he was a Welsh international spoke volumes for the lack of defenders at that time in Wales. He was the original tallest dwarf.
Charlie Lee - loved by many, but he's shortcomings were all too easy to spot, he was too small to be a centre half, too slow to be a decent full back, and yet he was shoehorned into the side purely because he wore his heart on his sleeve.

I come in for criticism for forever picking on those but if anyone can come up with valid reasons why I'm wrong and not just the fact that I don't go to enough matches to have a valid opinion. I base my opinions on my own eyes and ears.
If I die tomorrow I'd be all right
Because I believe
That after we're gone The spirit carries on

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 21 Jan 2018, 18:10

....Mainly on radio commentary.

Oh and you forgot McCann.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 21 Jan 2018, 18:11

superposh80 wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 18:10
....Mainly on radio commentary.

Oh and you forgot McCann.
Only at the end of his playing career
Because I believe

johnmiller

Post by johnmiller » 21 Jan 2018, 19:00

Lloydy definitely didn’t have a good touch yesterday but he never stopped trying.

Anyone should always be disappointed to be subbed but if he watches it back he can’t have many, if any, complaints.

He was part of a team that won 3-0 yesterday and I applauded him as much as all the others at the end. The team wins together, loses together and draws together.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 21 Jan 2018, 19:39

I'm rarely critical of players and never base my views on statistics. However I'd say my track record on here has been pretty impressive. And I'm 100% right about Lloyd. Same as I was about Ricky Miller.

The two dinosaurs above are correct, though, Posh fans rarely give new boys much of a chance, but I'm not among that number and NEVER join the chorus of groans when a pass goes astray. Wonder if they can say the same?

Also, are you saying we need Maddison, Lloyd, Gwion, Ward and Cooper?

If Cooper is to be used as an attacking midfielder as planned, all well and good, but the player himself said he's happiest on either side, and he's useful to have as cover if we need it out there.

Which of Maddison, Lloyd and Gwion would you want to get rid of?
6-4 Blackpool, 2-1 Poshies, 5-2 Draw

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 21 Jan 2018, 20:10

I assume by the two dinosaurs you refer to Brian and I, I can't categorically speak on behalf of Brian but I can't believe he does, I certainly don't, I might say things like this is going into row z when MM approaches a freekick, or where's Little when we defend, but other than that I'm pretty quiet apart from the occasional joining in with chants where I can remember the words,
Because I believe

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 21 Jan 2018, 20:34

What about after you've had a few....

Surely you give it large then?

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 21 Jan 2018, 21:36

superposh80 wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 20:34
What about after you've had a few....

Surely you give it large then?
No in fact the aches and pains these days are such that the only moaning I do is when I get a twinge of pain, at Villa I thought I was having a heart attack until my mate pointed out that your heart is the other side. I am limiting myself to a maximum of 3 pints these days.
Because I believe

JohnC

Post by JohnC » 24 Jan 2018, 23:41

Chompy wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 19:39
I'm rarely critical of players and never base my views on statistics. However I'd say my track record on here has been pretty impressive. And I'm 100% right about Lloyd. Same as I was about Ricky Miller.

The two dinosaurs above are correct, though, Posh fans rarely give new boys much of a chance, but I'm not among that number and NEVER join the chorus of groans when a pass goes astray. Wonder if they can say the same?

Also, are you saying we need Maddison, Lloyd, Gwion, Ward and Cooper?

If Cooper is to be used as an attacking midfielder as planned, all well and good, but the player himself said he's happiest on either side, and he's useful to have as cover if we need it out there.

Which of Maddison, Lloyd and Gwion would you want to get rid of?
I think it's reasonable to allow knowledge of statistics to inform -- but not necessarily determine -- an opinion.
With regard to being 100% correct about Lloyd and Miller, and to claiming for oneself 'a pretty impressive track record', I incline towards the 'self-praise is no praise' school of thought.

The Ricky Miller situation is illustrative of the strengths and weaknesses of statistical evidence. I know nothing about the off-field situation, and he's clearly wholly responsible for his lengthy ba, as well as other possible misdemeanours. As far as i can gather, he's played just over 500 minutes, spread over 13 appearances -- in other words, he's played the equivalent of 5.67 full games. That's quite a small sample on which to come to a definite conclusion about a player -- especially one making two steps up the football ladder. Ken Charlery's firs half-dozen games were nothing to write home about, as I recall. We had five games against League Two and National League opposition -- obvious opportunities to give Miller confidence-boosting playing time, yet i think he played a total of less than ten minutes in those games. (I don't know if he was available for all of them.) Statistics tell me that it's too early to give up on Miller, though the Law Courts may offer a different opinion.

The question 'Which of Maddison, Lloyd and Gwion would you want to get rid of?' Maddison may leave as opposed to being 'got rid of' .Edwards is five weeks into a projected three month lay-off; last season I believe he missed over two months through injury. Cutting ties with 11 goals in 25 appearances Danny Lloyd in favour of a player with a long-term injury seems to me a little quixotic at this point.