Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Chompy

Re: FA Cup Fourth round Posh v Leicester

Post by Chompy » 27 Jan 2018, 16:03

Chenza wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 12:58
Can't believe lopes is starting instead of morias
Absolute shambles. Hard to remember a Posh player ever being so badly mismanaged.
6-4 Blackpool, 2-1 Poshies, 5-2 Draw

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 27 Jan 2018, 16:29

If I’m allowed to comment from only watching it on TV, Hughes did well going forward, Grant was probably our best outfield player although without Bond it could easily have been double figures. Leo wasn’t as bad as some on Twitter would have you believe, he did create our only chance in the first half, but for the most part looked like a little boy lost who’d won a prize to wear the shirt. Madison another off game, Marriott didn’t get a chance, Lloyd tried hard but had little opportunity. Forrester had the occasional pass forward but for the most part was over run. Shepherd not at the races. Taff and Taylor were left chasing shadows. Nice to see Borg getting a chance but I don’t think he touched the ball, Morias and Kanu ran about a lot but were never getting close apart from the unfortunate off side (correctly given) was finished with aplomb. Their fourth goal was definitely offside, but that makes no difference.
If I die tomorrow I'd be all right
Because I believe
That after we're gone The spirit carries on

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 27 Jan 2018, 16:47

It seems to have escaped the attention of many, including the large percentage of the home crowd who only turned up to moan and groan (drives me INSANE!) that we were playing a team who won the whole thing a couple of seaons ago?

We could have done what a lot of L1 and L2 teams do in this spot and stuck 11 behind the ball, but that's not in our DNA. We aren't Bradford. Fair enough we had an off-day, made individual mistakes, and got a thumping. Who cares? The result proves nothing. We're fine. I still think this squad would be relatively better off in the Championship than in L1.

It's not often we get to see players like Gray do their thing at our place, or refs of the calibre of Michael Oliver come to that, and it just showed the divide.

Shephard was fine and will be some player in a couple of seasons, Forrester, Grant and Lloyd were also OK, but we were completely outmatched overall.

Maddison will realise his limitations after that and is basically a flat-track bully. We saw here why he's yet to get his move higher. Jack didn't a lot to enhance his value either.

Peter Swann asked about Anthony Grant and his tendency to go missing in games! You couldn't make it up tbh.

Finally, how quickly everyone forgets Villa! If we achieve nowt else this season, we had that day at Villa Park.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 27 Jan 2018, 17:05

We played how we have done in many home games this season...giving the ball away, not winning second balls and unable to string two passes together....We got away with it against Bury and Oldham...but were never going to today.

We never showed up and our supposed big players were found out. For me Hughes was the only player who did himself justice...To name Grant as our MOM was frankly embarrassing as he was as poor as I've seen him in a Posh shirt...LDSL was woeful, he's a youth team player.

McCann needs to pick them up now....Our last 2 seasons have fell apart following FA Cup defeats

Let's hope the wheels don't come off again....We need a performance and 3 points against Southend.

john316z

Post by john316z » 27 Jan 2018, 17:08

superposh80 wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 17:05
We played how we have done in many home games this season...giving the ball away, not winning second balls and unable to string two passes together....We got away with it against Bury and Oldham...but were never going to today.

We never showed up and our supposed big players were found out. For me Hughes was the only player who did himself justice...To name Grant as our MOM was frankly embarrassing as he was as poor as I've seen him in a Posh shirt...LDSL was woeful, he's a youth team player.

McCann needs to pick them up now....Our last 2 seasons have fell apart following FA Cup defeats

Let's hope the wheels don't come off again....We need a performance and 3 points against Southend.
Think I saw a different game to you today! Hughes was a bit of a joke today. Very poor. Grant okay but below his normal standard. Leo did okay. By far not the worst player on the pitch. Probably Marcus today? At least we gave it a go in the 2nd half and a bit unfortunate to concede 2 near the end. Never mind money in the bank and perhaps 1 last push on the play offs or back to as we were next season?

Brianposh

Re: Posh v Leicester matchday thread

Post by Brianposh » 27 Jan 2018, 17:19

We did not do the basics right, like passing to our teammates, make some movement now and then, just made simple mistakes(10 in first 6-8 minutes).
Played like schoolkids in a Sunday League match. Poor for all, but 20 minutes of the second half, when they took their foot off their game.No man of the Match for me.........not worthy.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 27 Jan 2018, 17:23

Brianposh wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 17:19
We did not do the basics right, like passing to our teammates, make some movement now and then, just made simple mistakes(10 in first 6-8 minutes).
Played like schoolkids in a Sunday League match. Poor for all, but 20 minutes of the second half, when they took their foot off their game.No man of the Match for me.........not worthy.
100% This.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 27 Jan 2018, 18:26

Let's face it....Apart from making a few bob, the whole day has been a disaster.

We had a chance to win over the locals and show TV viewers what we can do...Instead we've just embarrassed ourselves.

Well done lads :clap2:

pleasureboy60

Post by pleasureboy60 » 27 Jan 2018, 20:37

The only positive note to come out of today's performance is that none of macblarneys golden boys will be going nowhere in the transfer window after that performance. Any managers watching some of our so called big money spinners will be putting their cheque books away and looking elsewhere!

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 27 Jan 2018, 21:01

None of them are going nowhere? They're all leaving?

McBlarney eh? Sure you enjoyed yourself having a good old boo today?

HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh » 27 Jan 2018, 21:24

Don’t think anyone booed today Chompy, not that I heard anyway and re your earlier point about this Leicester team winning the Premier League, if I’m right only Simpson & Fuchs were regular members of that team but that played today but I’m happy to be proved wrong.

And just like your good self with Miller, I don’t get the point of LDSL & Kanu. They are awful and two of the worst players I’ve seen in a Posh shirt in recent years (Simon Gillet excluded of course). I just don’t see what others see including the manager who keeps playing them.

Lewis

Post by Lewis » 27 Jan 2018, 21:25

Hopefully,this result and performance will not affect morale heading into the sharp end of the season.It will be GM's job to make sure that doesn't happen.Regarding today,let's face it,Posh were embarrassingly bad.What on earth were Shepherd and Forrester doing with those errors for the first two goals? We all make mistakes but this was rabbits in headlights stuff.I was really looking forward to this game and we threw it away in ten minutes.Of course,it is not the end of the world and,cliché though it is,the league is by far our biggest priority.We live to fight another day.
UTP.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 27 Jan 2018, 21:44

HantsPosh wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 21:24
Don’t think anyone booed today Chompy, not that I heard anyway and re your earlier point about this Leicester team winning the Premier League, if I’m right only Simpson & Fuchs were regular members of that team but that played today but I’m happy to be proved wrong.

And just like your good self with Miller, I don’t get the point of LDSL & Kanu. They are awful and two of the worst players I’ve seen in a Posh shirt in recent years (Simon Gillet excluded of course). I just don’t see what others see including the manager who keeps playing them.
I make you about right, although Albrighton came on too. Maguire would be a step up on Huth either way and they had some other exceptional talent on show. Gray and Diabate were outstanding.

I've never seen it with LDSL either but Kanu is a good prospect for me.

bettingbill

Post by bettingbill » 27 Jan 2018, 22:04

Everything that could go wrong did go wrong and that includes his first substitution made at a time when at least we were making it competitive and coincidentally or not it just seemed to hand them back the initiative they had temporarily misplaced.
As we have done all year (Jan apart I suppose) we can't help shooting ourselves in the foot and the first ten minutes were frankly not acceptable at any level or by any team and the game was lost then which was really hard to take.
But as others have said so many not just had off days but real Stonkers, and the only thing that pleases me is that surely any clubs interested in our two protagonists will want to watch them a lot more after today before they get the cheque book out which has to be good for our league prospects.
I know we were playing premiership standard players but didnt they tear us a new ******** today...men against boys am afraid

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 27 Jan 2018, 23:09

I watched the game on the telly. Very disappointed. Coverage was OK. But the commentators were giving Posh heaps. According to them (and in fact) we never had any hope of winning.
Leicester were far better than Posh. We probably should have expected it.
Being happy never goes out of style