Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

stuie

Re: Posh v Oldham

Post by stuie » 20 Jan 2018, 19:03

Poshay wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 18:54
stuie wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 18:35
well, a great 3 nil win, however, to be fair Oldham did not deserve to lose 3 nil, well we couldn't win against a nine man MK, so well done. I thought Forrester was superb today, and GM got his substitutions right

Lloyd was obviously unhappy at being substituted, and went straight down the tunnel, only for GM to follow him down a couple of minutes later

fortunately Oldham never looked like scoring
Except when they hit the post.
I stand corrected :oops:
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 20 Jan 2018, 19:20

Lloyd was easily the most in-effective player on the pitch. That is why he was substituted.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 20 Jan 2018, 19:26

Lots to say about that game. Firstly DMac has taken offence at Alan Swann saying we were flattered. We were 100% flattered. They say you don't get lucky 3-0 wins but we came pretty close to it here.

It should have been different in the first couple of minutes. Shephard's lunge was a red all day long but the ref bottled it, simple as. That changes everything.

Jack Byrne was the best player on the pitch in the first half and it's a shame we didn't manage to get him. A real coup for Oldham though. They'll be fine with Byrne and Pringle in midfield, but they're clearly light up front. Craig Davies is done.

As for our MOTM, Forrester obviously has to get it, but Taffazolli would have won it clearly otherwise. He's a massive player for us now. Junior and Granty (as usual) also want singling out for praise.

Our front three seem to be escaping criticism but, let's be honest, MM has had his traditional January dip, Marriott has missed plenty of decent chances, and Lloyd has been terrible. I'm starting to wonder about his attitude as well as his talent.

If anyone is willing to pay for him, we should snap their hand off and offer to pay P&P. His touch is awful, he ain't that quick and his decision making isn't brilliant. His numbers during that purple patch surely flattered him and I can't believe Ward and Cooper won't turn out better options. If we can get a fee, TAKE IT! Balance the books a bit.
Evens Poshies, 3-1 Wombles, 5-2 Draw

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 20 Jan 2018, 19:50

Oldham played all the football but it is goal scoring that wins matches.
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From Happy Valley to the Slough of Despond. :roll:

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 20 Jan 2018, 23:24

No doubt we deserved the win....3-0 may well have been flattering but we could and should have won by more.

Poor first half from us...We allowed Byrne and Pringle to boss the game.

Second half....Forrester took over and delivered one of his best 45 minutes in a Posh shirt. He was the difference between the two sides and was the best player on the pitch by a country mile.

Mixed bag from the rest of the players....Taylor and Grant solid enough. Maddison and Marriott off it today. Morias tries his heart out...Lloyd was woeful and should have been hooked long before he was.

First impressions of the new boys....Great start for Cooper who looks a tricky customer. Ward looked bang average today but it's early days for him at this level.

We still need another striker...

bettingbill

Post by bettingbill » 21 Jan 2018, 09:12

We all.bemaon referees decisions because as supporter's that's what we do. We forget the ones they make that go in our favour and if you were an Oldham supporter you'd be screaming all the way home about Shepherds tackle which looked as nailed on a red as go will ever see.

The only thing that matters is the three points but it was certainly a struggle. Kudos to the defence and it was great to see another clean sheet even if there was little threat to our goal but we will have to do a lot better if we are to maintain a promotion push. Like someone else just mentioned bit too keen in Lloydy's show of petulance as it's not the first time. True he does appear to be the scapegoat when it comes to making substitutions but that's because his general contribution doesnt seem to be worthy if 90 mins, and if he doesn't lift it might even not be worth a start soon.

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 21 Jan 2018, 10:18

Lloyd is frustrating. He does some brilliant work in build ups, but then his final ball is utter rubbish and the move breaks down. Will do well to now hold his place in the team.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 21 Jan 2018, 10:38

Brianposh wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 10:18
Lloyd is frustrating. He does some brilliant work in build ups, but then his final ball is utter rubbish and the move breaks down. Will do well to now hold his place in the team.
He probably has the next two games to prove himself unless he is replaced by Anderson, Leo or Doughty. I imagine the other two are both cup tied, although Ward could probably play in the Micky Mouse trophy
If I die tomorrow I'd be all right
Because I believe
That after we're gone The spirit carries on

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 21 Jan 2018, 10:43

We were certainly were not on it yesterday .
We would not have beaten them 3-0 against 11 men and tbh I would not have been surprised if we'd been pegged back.

Sloppy passing, some dodgy defending normally arising from fannying about and no cohesion.

We are at our best playing at pace and with width, we had neither yesterday and I am fed up being told we do not play with one up front. We do.
MM anonymous for the 3rd game on the trot which hurts us considering the amount of ball he gets.
Forrester gradually getting there and he must love Grant alongside him although Chris himself puts in a shift.

Nice cameo from Cooper, Ward did ok and all in all the second half was less poor than the first.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 21 Jan 2018, 10:48

Anderson didn't even make the squad yesterday and LDSL is out for 3 weeks.

Lloyd is a top non league player no doubt...but he doesn't possess the killer pass or appear fit enough to be a success at this level. He had a purple patch for a while but I can't help feeling he's been dining out on Maddison's and Marriott's success.

He won't be able to keep Cooper out of the side.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 21 Jan 2018, 10:49

Wycliffe wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 10:43
We were certainly were not on it yesterday .
We would not have beaten them 3-0 against 11 men and tbh I would not have been surprised if we'd been pegged back.

Sloppy passing, some dodgy defending normally arising from fannying about and no cohesion.

We are at our best playing at pace and with width, we had neither yesterday and I am fed up being told we do not play with one up front. We do.
MM anonymous for the 3rd game on the trot which hurts us considering the amount of ball he gets.
Forrester gradually getting there and he must love Grant alongside him although Chris himself puts in a shift.

Nice cameo from Cooper, Ward did ok and all in all the second half was less poor than the first.
Agree with all that.

We play nearer a 4-1-4-1 than anything at the moment, although I was having a fun game of guess the formation yesterday.

The full-backs started as far up the pitch as against Villa but Dummigan was having a field day, so they dropped back to a conventional four. After that I lost track a bit.

We need to keep Lloyd for the Leicester game I guess, since Gwion is injured and Cooper and Ward are cup tied, but after that I'd 100% sell. He just isn't good enough and, as SP intimates, he's been downright lucky to have his name mentioned alongside MM and JM as part of a potent front three, including by other managers.

He's obviously a dominant character, one who has a positive impact when happy, but he's not fit enough/consistent enough to play 90mins game in game out, and he's obviously decided he's too good/doesn't want to be used as an impact sub. If he's going to start throwing hissy fits every time he's taken off, eventually he's going to become a problem, so dump him now while his star is in the ascendency and we can demand a fee.

Also, another nice little stint from Kanu, who's very calm on the ball.

ashman

Post by ashman » 21 Jan 2018, 11:28

Chompy wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 10:49
We need to keep Lloyd for the Leicester game I guess, since Gwion is injured and Cooper and Ward are cup tied, but after that I'd 100% sell. He just isn't good enough and, as SP intimates, he's been downright lucky to have his name mentioned alongside MM and JM as part of a potent front three, including by other managers.

He's obviously a dominant character, one who has a positive impact when happy, but he's not fit enough/consistent enough to play 90mins game in game out, and he's obviously decided he's too good/doesn't want to be used as an impact sub. If he's going to start throwing hissy fits every time he's taken off, eventually he's going to become a problem, so dump him now while his star is in the ascendency and we can demand a fee.

Also, another nice little stint from Kanu, who's very calm on the ball.
No arguments with any of that. I said a while back, when we heard that it was our intention to get in another attacking midfielder plus a forward, that Lloyd will most probably be on his way out. You make a good point about his 'hissy fits' and I hope that they are not being disruptive to the rest of the camp. I'm fairly sure that he will be kept at least until the Leicester game as Cooper is cup-tied. An alternative is to give Kanu a start. The lad really has been good when he has come on recently but whether he is good enough for a start is debatable? I reckon that he may well be put in the window for the Leicester game where he will probably be given more room than in a League One game. The managerial structure at the club will probably see this as a wonderful opportunity - a pity that Leo is sidelined!
Much has been written and discussed about our attacking abilities but our defence has been superb just lately.
Three clean sheets are not to be sneezed at and since the turn of the year conceding just two goals from five games, including Villa is commendable. Ryan Tafazolli is definitely an unsung hero in that defence. Steven Taylor is a great signing and lots of fans love to chant his name. At the height of his career the most appearances he ever made was in the 2007-08 season, where he made a total of 36 appearances. The next best he managed was was 27 in 2008-09. Already he has equalled that this season and still looks as strong as an ox. He seems to be being managed superbly by Posh.
Hughes and Shephard have served up some excellent performances, but Shephard was lucky yesterday with his poorly timed tackled at the beginning of the first half. Bond has been an added bonus and must really enjoy playing behind this defence.
Onwards to Lincoln. I wonder if Taylor will be risked or whether Penny may get a return? I'm sure that Grant will want to play his strongest team.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 21 Jan 2018, 11:38

Taylor not up to his usual standard yesterday, small but important mistakes creeping in.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 21 Jan 2018, 11:43

Haven't we just been lucky with Taylor re: injuries? I can't believe our coaching staff is better than Newcastle's for example. Had he been injured most of the season, everyone would have just pointed to his previous record and that we'd been stupid to sign him in the first place.

No way Kanu gets a start v Leicester. He isn't ready for that. Lloyd will have to start unfortunately.

Surely Baldwin starts in place of Taylor v Lincoln?

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 21 Jan 2018, 15:07

Brianposh wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 11:38
Taylor not up to his usual standard yesterday, small but important mistakes creeping in.
He must be learning from Hughes then who spent most of the first half on walkabout.