Wigan v Posh

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 18569
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Wigan v Posh

Post by tonyp » 09 Jan 2018, 03:54

Our next league game and what a tough one it will be.
Assuming there are no injuries at Luton I expect that McCann will field a similar team to the one that started at Aston Villa.
If we can perform the way we did in that game we have every chance of getting three points against Wigan.
But Wigan are clear favourites to win at 4/9 with Posh at 6 to 1.
Good money to be won there don't you think? :lol:
We might have to settle for a draw. 10/3
:comeon:
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 26456
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Wigan v Posh

Post by bristleposh » 09 Jan 2018, 17:03

A minutes silence before this game https://www.wiganathletic.com/news/2018 ... leukaemia/ :shock:
If I die tomorrow I'd be all right
Because I believe
That after we're gone The spirit carries on

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 18569
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Wigan v Posh

Post by tonyp » 10 Jan 2018, 10:31

tonyp wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 12:01
McCann quotes on the Official site
I will field a strong team [at Luton] and we will worry about Wigan from Wednesday onwards,” Grant McCann said.
So we can assume he is worrying about Wigan now.
Posh will need to perform considerably better than they did against Luton.
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 16193
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Wigan v Posh

Post by ashman » 10 Jan 2018, 10:38

tonyp wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 10:31
tonyp wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 12:01
McCann quotes on the Official site
I will field a strong team [at Luton] and we will worry about Wigan from Wednesday onwards,” Grant McCann said.
So we can assume he is worrying about Wigan now.
Posh will need to perform considerably better than they did against Luton.
We won, we did what we needed to do and winning is becoming a habit. To get through that match after a really exhausting time against Aston Villa was an excellent effort by Posh. It goes without saying that the levels of performance against Wigan will have to be better than last night.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

superposh80
Posts: 4986
Joined: 03 Jul 2012, 19:33

Re: Wigan v Posh

Post by superposh80 » 10 Jan 2018, 11:00

I can't have us in this game whatsoever.

We may have to play somewere close to our Villa Park effort to get something here....and that's a big ask just 7 days after it...and with the Luton game in between.

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 18569
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Wigan v Posh

Post by tonyp » 10 Jan 2018, 12:30

ashman wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 10:38
It goes without saying that the levels of performance against Wigan will have to be better than last night.
It might "go without saying" but everybody is saying it.
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 26456
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Wigan v Posh

Post by bristleposh » 10 Jan 2018, 12:48

I'd say it depends how Wigan let us play, if they leave Madison to do as he pleases we have a very good chance provided he's on his game. If they man mark him or he has an off day like Luton we have no chance, he makes us tick but if the watch is not wound up it won't tell the correct time.
If I die tomorrow I'd be all right
Because I believe
That after we're gone The spirit carries on

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 18569
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Wigan v Posh

Post by tonyp » 10 Jan 2018, 12:57

bristleposh wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 12:48
I'd say it depends how Wigan let us play, if they leave Madison to do as he pleases we have a very good chance provided he's on his game. If they man mark him or he has an off day like Luton we have no chance, he makes us tick but if the watch is not wound up it won't tell the correct time.
gpwm
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
stuie
Posts: 15017
Joined: 18 Jun 2007, 15:14
Location: cheshire

Re: Wigan v Posh

Post by stuie » 10 Jan 2018, 15:01

superposh80 wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 11:00
I can't have us in this game whatsoever.

We may have to play somewere close to our Villa Park effort to get something here....and that's a big ask just 7 days after it...and with the Luton game in between.
I am less optimistic about this one, than I was about the Villa game :comeon:

but always hoping
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 26456
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Wigan v Posh

Post by bristleposh » 10 Jan 2018, 21:06

Ceenitall wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 16:39
As long as he keeps Lopez and Anderson in the hutch we have a decent chance of some sort of result.
Obviously you didn't watch the Luton game where Lopes was certainly better than Lloyd or Morias and as good as Madison before having to go off injured I presume.
If I die tomorrow I'd be all right
Because I believe
That after we're gone The spirit carries on

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 16193
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Wigan v Posh

Post by ashman » 10 Jan 2018, 22:16

bristleposh wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 21:06
Ceenitall wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 16:39
As long as he keeps Lopez and Anderson in the hutch we have a decent chance of some sort of result.
Obviously you didn't watch the Luton game where Lopes was certainly better than Lloyd or Morias and as good as Madison before having to go off injured I presume.
Lopes has a pulled hamstring and the club are waiting to see how serious it is. Anderson had a much better game than normal, almost scoring with a few minutes to go after a very determined run at their defence and Kanu played his best game for Posh by a mile. People saying that our subs are not good enough are maybe partly correct but in this instance Grant McCann got it just right.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 18569
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Wigan v Posh

Post by tonyp » 10 Jan 2018, 22:24

ashman wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 22:16
bristleposh wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 21:06
Ceenitall wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 16:39
As long as he keeps Lopez and Anderson in the hutch we have a decent chance of some sort of result.
Obviously you didn't watch the Luton game where Lopes was certainly better than Lloyd or Morias and as good as Madison before having to go off injured I presume.
Lopes has a pulled hamstring and the club are waiting to see how serious it is. Anderson had a much better game than normal, almost scoring with a few minutes to go after a very determined run at their defence and Kanu played his best game for Posh by a mile. People saying that our subs are not good enough are maybe partly correct but in this instance Grant McCann got it just right.
gpwm
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 18569
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Wigan v Posh

Post by tonyp » 10 Jan 2018, 22:25

stuie wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 15:01
superposh80 wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 11:00
I can't have us in this game whatsoever.

We may have to play somewere close to our Villa Park effort to get something here....and that's a big ask just 7 days after it...and with the Luton game in between.
I am less optimistic about this one, than I was about the Villa game :comeon:

but always hoping
Me too.
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 16193
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Wigan v Posh

Post by ashman » 11 Jan 2018, 18:29

Wigan Athletic v Peterborough United (15:00 )

REFEREE: EDDIE ILDERTON

ASSISTANT REFEREES: Helen Byrne and Marvyn Amphlett

Fourth Official: Joseph Johnson

In addition Posh will be in their third Kit of volt yellow shirts, black shorts, black socks.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

PoshEric
Posts: 97
Joined: 22 Aug 2014, 07:47

Re: Wigan v Posh

Post by PoshEric » 12 Jan 2018, 09:22

My team against Wigan assuming Lopez will still be out injured:

Bond; Shephard Taylor Tafazolli Hughes; Maddison Forrester Grant Anderson Lloyd; Marriott

By all accounts, Anderson played well on Tuesday, better than Doughty at least. Forrester and Taylor will both be fresh after not playing midweek as well.

I would not be disappointed if Junior started, but starting 2 games in 5 days may be a struggle fitness wise so soon after returning from injury. Also, employing a 5 man midfield might help away from home against the highest scorers in the league and it will give us the option of bringing on a second striker later in the game.

I hope to see Ward play on Saturday at some point too. New arrivals always seem to have a point to prove immediately after their transfer. I remember Luke James even scoring on his debut for Posh a couple of days after joining from Hartlepool.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lewis, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests