ashman

Re: Wigan v Posh

Post by ashman » 12 Jan 2018, 10:06

Excellent. Well thought out and informed post. :clap: :clap: :comeon:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 12 Jan 2018, 10:45

We traditionally hve new signings on the bench for their first game and that will likely be the case with Ward.

Also, we haven't been playing a five-man midfield, rather a front three in a 4-3-3. Doubt we'll be changing that here.
9-2 Posh, 5-2 Draw, 4-7 Leicester

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 12 Jan 2018, 11:00

I wondered after what I had read about Lloyd after the Luton substitution, throwing his toys out of the pram, he might be dropped, so a start for Morais or Ward I would have thought. I also watched the game but didn't see that but did note an improved performance by Anderson, not sure he is ready to start especially against the top team maybe Doughty, with Anderson to come on after about 50 or 60
If I die tomorrow I'd be all right
Because I believe
That after we're gone The spirit carries on

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 12 Jan 2018, 11:14

Watching GM's interview it's seeming more and more likely that JM will leave this window. Reading between the lines. If he does I'd say a return for Conor would be the most likely option.

Interesting point re: Lloyd's hissy fit. I didn't see it. Was it more disappointment at the way he'd played/being taken off, or a diva strop at not getting the minutes he thinks his talent deserves? Guess Ward could be a rare candidate to start a game straight after joining if it was the latter.

Bond; Hughes Taff Taylor Shephard; Grant Forrester Anderson; Lloyd Maddison Marriott

ashman

Post by ashman » 12 Jan 2018, 11:20

Chompy wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 10:45
We traditionally hve new signings on the bench for their first game and that will likely be the case with Ward.

Also, we haven't been playing a five-man midfield, rather a front three in a 4-3-3. Doubt we'll be changing that here.
I would go with a compromise 4-4-2

Bond, - Shephard, Taylor, Tafazolli, Hughes, - Maddison, Forrester, Grant, Doughty - Ward, Marriott.

Ward has been bought here to play and I see no reason for him not to, especially after the last two performances by Danny Lloyd (out of touch at Villa and leggy beyond belief at Luton)
Anderson certainly looked a lot better at Luton but it was really only a 25 minute spell on the pitch. The same could be said about Kanu who had an outstanding 30+ minute game. These two are both starting to put pressure on the above and need to really show what they are capable of, if and when they get another chance from the bench. They are certain bench warmers along with O'Malley, Penny, Morais, Lloyd, and Baldwin.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 12 Jan 2018, 11:48

I think it's more likely that Morias will start and Ward will be on the bench.
Being happy never goes out of style

PoshEric

Post by PoshEric » 12 Jan 2018, 12:19

Chompy wrote:
It's interesting you say that. Do you think Posh play more offensively in a 4-4-2 with Lloyd and Maddison out wide and Morias and Marriott upfront or in the 4-3-3 with a front 3 of Maddison Marriott and Lloyd and 3 central midfielders behind them?

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 12 Jan 2018, 13:40

Anderson and Kanu may have looked half decent against Luton reserves....but I very much doubt these two could look as good against Wigan.

I'm with Ashman here...and it's not often I say that

Although Ward won't start.

PoshEric

Post by PoshEric » 12 Jan 2018, 14:34

bristleposh wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 11:00
I also watched the game but didn't see that but did note an improved performance by Anderson, not sure he is ready to start especially against the top team maybe Doughty, with Anderson to come on after about 50 or 60
Doughty may be the safer bet to start. Just had a look and in the 6 League matches Anderson has started since returning in August, Posh have only won once, against Bury and Anderson was actually substituted off at half time then. Hope we can see Anderson return to his best form soon.

Whoever starts, whether Doughty, Anderson or Morias (I don't think Ward has much of a chance I'm afraid) they will have to put in a great performance in order to come away from Wigan with a positive result.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 12 Jan 2018, 15:13

ashman wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 11:20
Chompy wrote:

I would go with a compromise 4-4-2

Bond, - Shephard, Taylor, Tafazolli, Hughes, - Maddison, Forrester, Grant, Doughty - Ward, Marriott.

Ward has been bought here to play and I see no reason for him not to, especially after the last two performances by Danny Lloyd (out of touch at Villa and leggy beyond belief at Luton)
Anderson certainly looked a lot better at Luton but it was really only a 25 minute spell on the pitch. The same could be said about Kanu who had an outstanding 30+ minute game. These two are both starting to put pressure on the above and need to really show what they are capable of, if and when they get another chance from the bench. They are certain bench warmers along with O'Malley, Penny, Morais, Lloyd, and Baldwin.
Ward isn't a striker though. If we're playing a 4-4-2 it'll be with Marriott and Morias up top.
PoshEric wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 12:19
Chompy wrote:
It's interesting you say that. Do you think Posh play more offensively in a 4-4-2 with Lloyd and Maddison out wide and Morias and Marriott upfront or in the 4-3-3 with a front 3 of Maddison Marriott and Lloyd and 3 central midfielders behind them?
I'm a big fan of 4-3-3 and, for me, it's more offensively minded that the old-school 4-4-2. It always comes down to personnel though.

For all the abuse hurled in the direction of GM, he has shown he can be adaptable re: formations. 4-3-3 was never part of the plans but the fact we only had one striker (worthy of the tag) and Maddison, Gwion and Lloydy to fit in meant it was the best solution. And it's worked really well.

ashman

Post by ashman » 12 Jan 2018, 16:13

Chompy wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 15:13
Ward isn't a striker though. If we're playing a 4-4-2 it'll be with Marriott and Morias up top.
I hope Morais is not the first choice, as he is nowhere ready yet. BUT, I suppose that if we want to get minutes under his belt then if we start him he can always be subbed if it's not working. Personally I would rather put out the strongest team from the start. I'm a bit undecided with this and I take my hat off to Grant McCann as he is managing the team superbly. :clap: However there will only have to be a spell of a couple of losses and the 'McCann out"' brigade will be back again!

AndoverPoshFan

Post by AndoverPoshFan » 12 Jan 2018, 17:16

James Vaughan has just signed for Wigan. How does FFP work with them considering their gates are not very big!

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 12 Jan 2018, 17:59

They just took Ivan Toney off their wage bill. Guess they'd be on similar ££££.

PoshEric

Post by PoshEric » 13 Jan 2018, 09:05

AndoverPoshFan wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 17:16
James Vaughan has just signed for Wigan. How does FFP work with them considering their gates are not very big!
I dislike this. Please no repeats of the 4 goals he scored against us last January when with Bury.

https://www.wiganathletic.com/news/2018 ... debut-now/

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 13 Jan 2018, 12:16

From the Official site -
TEAM NEWS

Posh welcome back midfielder Chris Forrester from suspension and he will go straight back into the squad after missing the Checkatrade Trophy win over Luton. Gwion Edwards underwent a successful ankle operation earlier in the week, but will be side-lined for up to three months. Leo Da Silva Lopes is a doubt with a hamstring injury but Jack Marriott has overcome a knock sustained in midweek.

Wigan have lost the services of two of their loan players in the last few days with striker Ivan Toney recalled by his parent club Newcastle United only to be then sent to Scunthorpe United. Leigh Evans was recalled by Wolverhampton Wanderers and promptly sold to Sheffield United.
and
MCCANN QUOTES

“Wigan are the best side that we have played this season. They were very good in the first half of the game at the ABAX Stadium. We rallied in the second half and that was a great win. They have a lot of strength in their squad, but we are looking forward to the game. The squad is in a good place at the minute.”
Being happy never goes out of style