Checkatrade trophy

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

ashman

Re: Luton v Poshies

Post by ashman » 07 Jan 2018, 10:28

PoshEric wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 06:14
MCCANN QUOTES: "We don't have too long to celebrate, we have a big game at Luton in the @CheckatradeTrpy on Tuesday night and that is one of our targets this season. I would like a home draw in the fourth round if possible.' #ASTvPET

I would start the team that finished on Saturday. A win would help build momentum and I fear a second string Posh team would struggle against Luton considering the form Luton are in:

4-4-2: Bond; Shephard Taylor Tafazolli Hughes; Maddison Grant Forrester Lloyd; Marriott Morias
Good points but I don't think that Morais is ready fitness or 'sharpnesswise' (is that a word?) to be anywhere near to a starting place. The alternative would be Leo or Doughty.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 07 Jan 2018, 11:05

ashman wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 10:28
PoshEric wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 06:14
MCCANN QUOTES: "We don't have too long to celebrate, we have a big game at Luton in the @CheckatradeTrpy on Tuesday night and that is one of our targets this season. I would like a home draw in the fourth round if possible.' #ASTvPET

I would start the team that finished on Saturday. A win would help build momentum and I fear a second string Posh team would struggle against Luton considering the form Luton are in:

4-4-2: Bond; Shephard Taylor Tafazolli Hughes; Maddison Grant Forrester Lloyd; Marriott Morias
Good points but I don't think that Morais is ready fitness or 'sharpnesswise' (is that a word?) to be anywhere near to a starting place. The alternative would be Leo or Doughty.
It may be a word in America. What would be wrong with starting Kanu, you could always replace him if it didn't work.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

ashman

Post by ashman » 07 Jan 2018, 12:20

bristleposh wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 11:05
It may be a word in America. What would be wrong with starting Kanu, you could always replace him if it didn't work.
The lad is still very young and we don't want another situation like Leo to develop. He is doing fine on the bench so far, occasionally coming on and showing a few examples of what he is good at. No sense in putting an upcoming player in the starting line-up unless you believe that he is capable of playing the full 90 IMO.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 07 Jan 2018, 12:24

Unless he's Leo #PriceTag
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

ashman

Post by ashman » 07 Jan 2018, 12:59

So infuriating this Posh team. The lows of the MK match two games previously, to the highs of Villa. Which version will we get on Tuesday?
Supporting the Posh could never be called boring!

:question: :question: :comeon:

PoshEric

Post by PoshEric » 07 Jan 2018, 13:43

ashman wrote:
Grant deemed Junior fit enough to play him for over 50 minutes against MK so don't think he is too far off starting.

Agree that Leo and Doughty are the next best options if Morias's fitness is still lacking but seems like having a second striker on the pitch is helping Marriott and the rest of the team play their game.

If a new striker can be brought in this January, I think Kanu and Borg would both benefit from a loan to the National Leagues. The playing time might aid their development and lighten the wage bill slightly.

ashman

Post by ashman » 07 Jan 2018, 14:03

PoshEric wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 13:43
ashman wrote:
Grant deemed Junior fit enough to play him for over 50 minutes against MK so don't think he is too far off starting.

Agree that Leo and Doughty are the next best options if Morias's fitness is still lacking but seems like having a second striker on the pitch is helping Marriott and the rest of the team play their game.

If a new striker can be brought in this January, I think Kanu and Borg would both benefit from a loan to the National Leagues. The playing time might aid their development and lighten the wage bill slightly.
Agreed, but Junior's contributions in the MK game was poor. His presence on the pitch does seem to help the other strikers and yesterday he played a superb pass for Maddison, to put Marriott in for the third goal. Other than that he contributed nothing except for conceding two free kicks against us! He will come good I'm sure but he still needs to be getting splinters for a while.
A new striker? Who knows where this is going? We await things with baited breath!
Meanwhile a loan for Kanu and Borg is a great move, with the proviso that if we don't get that new striker we have an immediate return built in to the loan.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 07 Jan 2018, 14:35

Junior needs minutes, simple as that. Leaving him on the bench ain't gonna help.

PoshEric

Post by PoshEric » 07 Jan 2018, 14:39

ashman wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 14:03
Agreed, but Junior's contributions in the MK game was poor. His presence on the pitch does seem to help the other strikers and yesterday he played a superb pass for Maddison, to put Marriott in for the third goal. Other than that he contributed nothing except for conceding two free kicks against us! He will come good I'm sure but he still needs to be getting splinters for a while.
Interesting points. Fingers crossed the Junior we saw before getting injured returns soon. 5 goals in 8 starts before the Oldham game where he was injured and he had a nice partnership developing with Marriott. Might relieve the pressure for a new striker as well.

ashman

Post by ashman » 07 Jan 2018, 14:43

Chompy wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 14:35
Junior needs minutes, simple as that. Leaving him on the bench ain't gonna help.
If McCann and the physio team work it out properly, Junior can get those minutes from the bench without exposing him to too much risk of getting a recurrence of his long term injury. We have done this before. e.g. Gwion.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 07 Jan 2018, 14:49

This squad isn't big or durable enough to cope with being in 2 cup competitions and a battle for a play off spot.

I'd bite the bullet here and leave our big hitters out.

The Wigan game is far more important than this.

ashman

Post by ashman » 07 Jan 2018, 14:56

superposh80 wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 14:49
This squad isn't big or durable enough to cope with being in 2 cup competitions and a battle for a play off spot.
Totally agree about Wigan. A good run in these cups however, especially in the FA cup does bring money into the club and also tends to enthuse the fickle Peterborough public to get behind the club again. Just a few good results works wonders for them, a bit like 'Double Diamond' used to do way back when! :)

PoshEric

Post by PoshEric » 07 Jan 2018, 15:25

superposh80 wrote:

I agree the squad has weaknesses but our neighbours to the north Lincoln City demonstrated last season how being successful in cup competitions doesn't mean your league form has to suffer but can actually have a positive impact. FA Cup 6th round, FA Trophy semi finals and still finished top of the National League. I'd give every game everything we have got until the end of the season and just enjoy the ride.

stuie

Post by stuie » 07 Jan 2018, 15:52

superposh80 wrote:

unfortunately, yet again you are right
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 07 Jan 2018, 20:07

superposh80 wrote:

Maybe, but..
MCCANN QUOTES: "we have a big game at Luton in the @CheckatradeTrpy on Tuesday night and that is one of our targets this season."
Being happy never goes out of style