Aston Villa V The Posh

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

DoubleRay

Aston Villa V The Posh

Post by DoubleRay » 02 Jan 2018, 17:15

Well Saturday sees us play the mighty Villa. A club who probably feel begrudged falling from their once lofty heights of premier status. As it is they are only one division above us. They are rightly or wrongly very dismissive of Posh who have a good history of knocking out championship clubs.
http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co. ... 85&posts=8

Their fans even suggest playing their kids which is a bit of an insult not only to Posh and a professional full time outfit but also to the spirit of the FA Cup itself but I'm sure their manager has more sense than that.
It will also be an interesting contest between Forrester and Houliane if he plays. We all know his antics at the Barnsley game.
Whatever happens win lose or draw i'm looking forward to this trip with nearly 4000 posh fans who will sing their hearts out.

stuie

Re: Aston Villa V The Posh

Post by stuie » 02 Jan 2018, 20:08

DoubleRay wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 17:15
Well Saturday sees us play the mighty Villa. A club who probably feel begrudged falling from their once lofty heights of premier status. As it is they are only one division above us. They are rightly or wrongly very dismissive of Posh who have a good history of knocking out championship clubs.
http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co. ... 85&posts=8

Their fans even suggest playing their kids which is a bit of an insult not only to Posh and a professional full time outfit but also to the spirit of the FA Cup itself but I'm sure their manager has more sense than that.
It will also be an interesting contest between Forrester and Houliane if he plays. We all know his antics at the Barnsley game.
Whatever happens win lose or draw i'm looking forward to this trip with nearly 4000 posh fans who will sing their hearts out.
spot on
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

Ceenitall

Post by Ceenitall » 02 Jan 2018, 21:09

Great pay day for club, great day out for fans, end of cup run.

john316z

Post by john316z » 02 Jan 2018, 21:52

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/f ... n-14104678

If Steve Bruce can stick to just selecting just 1 player then we could cause an upset....

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 02 Jan 2018, 22:10

john316z wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 21:52
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/f ... n-14104678

If Steve Bruce can stick to just selecting just 1 player then we could cause an upset....
And if they treat the game as far less important than the league we could
Bruce used the other domestic cup competition, the Carabao Cup, as a chance to blood some of the club’s promising young hopefuls and he may well do the same in the FA Cup.
Being happy never goes out of style

ashman

Post by ashman » 02 Jan 2018, 22:42

It looks as if John Terry is running scared from us! Remember what Lee Angol did when we played Chelsea last January? :lol: :lol:

'Bruce has previously suggested Terry could return for the match against the Posh following two months out with a broken metatarsal, but he could well rest him in preparation for the following weekend’s Championship match at Nottingham Forest.'
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Villa28

Post by Villa28 » 03 Jan 2018, 02:06

Villa fan here, thought I’d have a read about what you guys think about Saturdays match.

Pleased to see you have sold 4K for the match and although a lot of Villa fans won’t bother as usual for early cup matches it should be a great atmosphere with around 26,000 attending.

In regards to the quote above it’s probably right that a lot of Villa fans want the kids to play, but I don’t think this is any kind of disrespect it’s because we have some very exciting players who we all want to see in the first team but Bruce simply won’t play, the odd bench appearance, however in the league cup he gave them a chance so we hope he does play them. O’Hare in particular because his natural talent looks something special but 3 others. This is how Davis got his chance and stayed in the first team.

However, Bruce in the radio has already said he will use back up players to give others a rest and I think this will be Terry’s first game back too.

I don’t expect an easy game and can see us getting turned over, which from my point of view may be a good thing as we defo don’t need a cup distraction.

Be careful where you park because local kids demand cash to look after your car (not damage it) if they see your away fans but they are loads of good places to park.

Looking forward to sat and noise I’m sure you will make.
Last edited by Villa28 on 03 Jan 2018, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.

ashman

Post by ashman » 03 Jan 2018, 08:03

Ceenitall wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 21:09
Great pay day for club, great day out for fans, end of cup run.
Two edged sword in a way. A great day out for the fans and MAYBE not the end of a cup run.
Posh won't make much out of this match. Brilliant prices from Villa. Season ticket holders £10, concessions £5 and U16s £1. Even walkups are only being charged £15 for adults, £10 for concessions and £1 for U16s.
This just shows the non interest in this match from Villa's point of view and they are only expecting about 25,000 as an attendance figure.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

DoubleRay

Post by DoubleRay » 03 Jan 2018, 13:09

I really think Villa are underestimating us and that's putting it mildly. They are treating Posh like they are some sort of non league outfit. They have reduced the price ( more fool them :lol:) and then talk about playing " kids" and an unfit John Terry. Who the hell do they think they are?
They are not even top four of their league, the second tier of the football league and then to say the FA cup is a distraction is laughable. :lol:

Well I hope they do play the "kids" because not only will we turn them over, I hope we thrash them in the process.
:comeon:
Last edited by DoubleRay on 03 Jan 2018, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 03 Jan 2018, 13:15

you live in a world of fantasy and make believe ray.

DoubleRay

Post by DoubleRay » 03 Jan 2018, 13:18

superposh80 wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 13:15
No it's just that you live in a world of despondency.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 03 Jan 2018, 13:33

DoubleRay wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 13:18
superposh80 wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 13:15
No it's just that you live in a world of despondency.
Fantasy versus Reality.

Nipper was never this bad.

DoubleRay

Post by DoubleRay » 03 Jan 2018, 13:37

Where is the fantasy element when Villa clearly don't give a toss about the game?

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 03 Jan 2018, 13:47

DoubleRay wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 13:37
Where is the fantasy element when Villa clearly don't give a toss about the game?
Of course they give a toss...but their priority is getting back into the premier league.

They are treating us like we would treat Tranmere or Woking...just when we dropped ticket prices too.

Surely you didn't need that explaining?

Villa28

Post by Villa28 » 03 Jan 2018, 13:53

DoubleRay wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 13:09
I really think Villa are underestimating us and that's putting it mildly. They are treating Posh like they are some sort of non league outfit. They have reduced the price ( more fool them :lol:) and then talk about playing " kids" and an unfit John Terry. Who the hell do they think they are?
They are not even top four of their league, the second tier of the football league and then to say the FA cup is a distraction is laughable. :lol:

Well I hope they do play the "kids" because not only will we turn them over, I hope we thrash them in the process.
:comeon:
I’m not sure what you are expecting Villa to do, put a full team out when played so many games in a short period and treat the FA Cup as a priority? We want to be in t Premier League and the cup is a distraction we don’t need.

We always reduce the price of early round matches because people don’t turn up, on New Year’s Day kids could get in for £1 to make it more affordable for parents over xmas, so you think that was an insult to Bristol City who are above us?

The kids will be playing and the players desperate to give a performance to get in the first team and that’s exactly what happened in the league cup against Middlesbrough who again were above us at the time so do not feel special about Villa disrespecting The Posh. Oh, and Terry is fully fit and this will be his first game back, we all hoped it would be two weeks ago but he wasn’t ready.

It will be a good, hard fought game