Standard of Refereeing at Posh games

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

ashman

Re: Standard of Refereeing at Posh games

Post by ashman » 21 Dec 2017, 09:20

The problems that technical areas have caused over recent years are quite significant. At one time there was an offence called 'coaching from the touchline.' Managers, coaches and players were housed in a dugout and were not allowed to leave that area. I know it won't happen but a return to this would solve a lot of the problems that technical areas cause.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Ceenitall

Post by Ceenitall » 21 Dec 2017, 11:30

A thoughtful and wise post. All football comes under the jurisdiction of the Football Association, (the FA) they are the controlling body.....The Premier league is administered by Lancaster Gate, other leagues by their respective FA's.....London, Yorkshire, Lincs, Hunts and so on.
Referees represent the FA at all times and administer the Laws, they are not referred to as rules, they are LAWS.....often updated by FIFA.
Referee's decisions derive from what HE SEES from the position he is at....not from what others, such as on the touchline or on the terraces see. He cannot see around corners or through players but, decisions have to be made. If not the game would be a free for all.
Most Managers accept this, some don't and make a fool of themselves.
The most vociferous managers should reflect.....they are widely discussed at referee association meetings....Better they show respect and not persistent criticism.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 21 Dec 2017, 12:04

You wouldn't expect a referee to say anything else, but referees choose to be referees and nobody, aside from other referees, really cares what they think.

Aside from that, Grant is far from the worst culprit when it comes to this. In fact, I doubt he'd make the top 20 in the four divisions.
9-2 Posh, 5-2 Draw, 4-7 Leicester

stuie

Post by stuie » 21 Dec 2017, 13:25

Ceenitall wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 11:30
A thoughtful and wise post. All football comes under the jurisdiction of the Football Association, (the FA) they are the controlling body.....The Premier league is administered by Lancaster Gate, other leagues by their respective FA's.....London, Yorkshire, Lincs, Hunts and so on.
Referees represent the FA at all times and administer the Laws, they are not referred to as rules, they are LAWS.....often updated by FIFA.
Referee's decisions derive from what HE SEES from the position he is at....not from what others, such as on the touchline or on the terraces see. He cannot see around corners or through players but, decisions have to be made. If not the game would be a free for all.
The most vociferous managers should reflect.....they are widely discussed at referee association meetings....Better they show respect and not persistent criticism.
good post, and wise words
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 21 Dec 2017, 13:49

Ceenitall wrote:
...and the quicker technology comes in to help them see round corners and through other players the better. OK it's not going to happen in Park football but then again in a lot of games lower down the scale linesmen are generally the substitutes or somebody's Dad. They seem to cope with managers complaining about decisions without resorting to suggesting the manager should be sacked in every post on a forum.
It started with a kiss and turned out something else
The blood coursing through my veins, I think of no one else
I never believed in much, but I believe in this
I'm incomplete without you, I'd kill to taste your kiss

john316z

Post by john316z » 21 Dec 2017, 17:21

Ceenitall wrote:
This comes back to my earlier post (that I couldn't see any longer but it may have been removed). You seem to be saying that McCann should be disciplined for his criticism of the 4th official but not the players when they all show the same level of dissent at the other 3 offocials but don't often get reprimanded. Why is that?

Just saying that this may have more to do with your love affair of McCann that your wider knowledge of refereeing matters, which I;m not disputing in the slightest

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 21 Dec 2017, 17:43

Can't believe I'm backing up bristle, but I didn't see anything personal in that reply either.

It becomes clearer why you turned to refereeing...

john316z

Post by john316z » 21 Dec 2017, 17:57

Chompy wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 17:43
Can't believe I'm backing up bristle, but I didn't see anything personal in that reply either.

It becomes clearer why you turned to refereeing...
:clap2: Red card Chompy!

stuie

Post by stuie » 21 Dec 2017, 19:57

IMO opinion the standard of refereeing is probably on par as the standard of football at Posh

I find it hard to understand that every referee is poor, however week in week out we complain about poor refereeing
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 21 Dec 2017, 22:34

stuie wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 19:57
IMO opinion the standard of refereeing is probably on par as the standard of football at Posh

I find it hard to understand that every referee is poor, however week in week out we complain about poor refereeing
No we don't. We only complain when the referee makes bad decisions against us - especially if we lose.
Referees make mistakes just as players do. You win some you lose some.
Being happy never goes out of style

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 22 Dec 2017, 00:05

stuie wrote:
Correct.

The lower the standard of football...The lower the standard of referee.

And his lino's...who are in the main, useless.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 22 Dec 2017, 01:27

superposh80 wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 00:05
stuie wrote:
Correct.

The lower the standard of football...The lower the standard of referee.

And his lino's...who are in the main, useless.
:stupid:
We should have Premier League or International referees for all Posh games. :)
Of course, fans would still dispute decisions.
Being happy never goes out of style

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 22 Dec 2017, 07:54

tonyp wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 22:34
stuie wrote:

No we don't. We only complain when the referee makes bad decisions against us - especially if we lose.
Referees make mistakes just as players do. You win some you lose some.
Mistakes as such are generally accepted as 'one of those things' although obviously when against us we like to moan.

However what has happened to us (and probably other clubs but I don't give a monkeys toss about anyone else) is major, game changing even season changing decisions.
We have 'got away' with some of them, avoided defeat at Walsall but 'robbed' of a win and we still came away with 3 points from Fleetwood despite 2 outrageous decisions.

It is an old argument which nevertheless is true but referees to make the FL never mind the PL have generally never played the game at any level, in the main to reach this standard they have given up playing very early on in their sporting 'career' .
Therefore they know the laws, they know the positions they should be in and they know the numerous body actions they seemingly have to show off during a game.
It is a very old cliche but I'll say it anyway....What they don't know is the game.

Some decisions we see week in week out beggar belief, in the lower leagues we don't get the coverage nor publicity, imagine if 'that' Walsall decision was given in a match featured on MoTD, even Shearer would have got animated :o

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 22 Dec 2017, 11:04

Biased terrace shufflers?

Posh fans are way less biased than a lot of fans. Compared to the likes of Bristol Rovers, Millwall etc, we give refs a pretty easy ride.

I asked before and got no answer, but are you actually a Posh fan?

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 22 Dec 2017, 11:23

Fair point. Thought I'd ask though, since 100% of your posts slate GM. Don't think I've ever known you comment on owt else.