LDSL

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

JohnC

LDSL

Post by JohnC » 19 Dec 2017, 01:12

Is it time to worry about the potential mismanagement of LDSL’s career?
Towards the end of last season, the manager (‘I don’t make the same mistake twice’) admitted to overusing LDSL, but then continued to select him to the bitter end. In all competitions, he made forty-six appearances, playing in the League opener (when he was seventeen) and also the finale. This season, he’s already made twenty-nine appearances. In the Checkatrade Trophy game recently, he spent several of the closing minutes limping ineffectually around the pitch clutching his hamstring; this while we were leading 2-0. A week later, he started again, against Woking. People within the club will claim to be better, more professionally informed about how to manage the playing time of a teenager, but some supporters may feel that this is the way to grind him down physically. He looks jaded, and often it’s hard to know what position he is meant to be playing. I’d like to know the criteria which earn him selection ahead of Lloyd (five goals – six if you credit him with the Wimbledon own goal -- in sixteen appearances this season). Lloyd seems to have an impact on games apart from the goals he scores – setting up Marriott’s goal against Blackburn, earning the penalty against Woking. I struggle to remember LDSL having a comparable impact in any game this season.

Nevertheless, the manager has burdened him with the EPL-calibre tag, reminiscent of ‘Yaya Anderson’, who not so long ago was comparable with Dele Alli according to our management/chairman. Fans are entitled to expect from LDSL some of the excellence which his manager claims to see year on year, and shouldn’t come in for criticism if they express their scepticism after each plodding, peripheral, semi-detached performance. If LDSL is an EPL prospect, then how does one evaluate Erhun Oztumer (nine goals in twenty-one League One games this season, fifteen in forty-one last season)? Oztumer has twenty-four L1 goals against LDSL’s two over the past season and a half.

The real worry is that LDSL is showing no signs of improvement/development, but the manager has nailed his flag to the LDSL mast, so to speak: in the unlikely event of being able to exchange LDSL for Oztumer in January, do you think the manager would make that move?

stuie

Re: LDSL

Post by stuie » 19 Dec 2017, 01:21

JohnC wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 01:12
Towards the end of last season, the manager (‘I don’t make the same mistake twice’) admitted to overusing LDSL, but then continued to select him to the bitter end. In all competitions, he made forty-six appearances, playing in the League opener (when he was seventeen) and also the finale. This season, he’s already made twenty-nine appearances. In the Checkatrade Trophy game recently, he spent several of the closing minutes limping ineffectually around the pitch clutching his hamstring; this while we were leading 2-0. A week later, he started again, against Woking. People within the club will claim to be better, more professionally informed about how to manage the playing time of a teenager, but some supporters may feel that this is the way to grind him down physically. He looks jaded, and often it’s hard to know what position he is meant to be playing. I’d like to know the criteria which earn him selection ahead of Lloyd (five goals – six if you credit him with the Wimbledon own goal -- in sixteen appearances this season). Lloyd seems to have an impact on games apart from the goals he scores – setting up Marriott’s goal against Blackburn, earning the penalty against Woking. I struggle to remember LDSL having a comparable impact in any game this season.

Nevertheless, the manager has burdened him with the EPL-calibre tag, reminiscent of ‘Yaya Anderson’, who not so long ago was comparable with Dele Alli according to our management/chairman. Fans are entitled to expect from LDSL some of the excellence which his manager claims to see year on year, and shouldn’t come in for criticism if they express their scepticism after each plodding, peripheral, semi-detached performance. If LDSL is an EPL prospect, then how does one evaluate Erhun Oztumer (nine goals in twenty-one League One games this season, fifteen in forty-one last season)? Oztumer has twenty-four L1 goals against LDSL’s two over the past season and a half.

The real worry is that LDSL is showing no signs of improvement/development, but the manager has nailed his flag to the LDSL mast, so to speak: in the unlikely event of being able to exchange LDSL for Oztumer in January, do you think the manager would make that move?
interesting read, I neither agree or disagree
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 19 Dec 2017, 01:23

Excellent post.

If GM is going to give the kid a rest, it'll be over Christmas, especially with Lloyd knocking so hard at the door.

Will probably do him the world of good.
9-2 Posh, 5-2 Draw, 4-7 Leicester

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 19 Dec 2017, 04:24

stuie wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 01:21
JohnC wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 01:12

interesting read, I neither agree or disagree
:stupid: Except that I agree with John.
Being happy never goes out of style

ashman

Post by ashman » 19 Dec 2017, 09:01

Chompy wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 01:23
Excellent post.
If GM is going to give the kid a rest, it'll be over Christmas, especially with Lloyd knocking so hard at the door.
Will probably do him the world of good.
:stupid: Just occasionally we see glimpses of his undoubted ability, but as John says this it is not just about Leo's own development. There is a certain responsibility towards the team and the impact that Lloyd has made in recent outings must be very tough for Danny to take. Compared to LDSL his opportunities have been so few and far between.
The worrying thing for me is the vitriol that Leo tends to receive from the terraces when clearly he is being overplayed, which is hardly his fault. This will do nothing but undermine the confidence in his abilities. Management must take this on board if they are not to mess up a very promising career.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 19 Dec 2017, 09:18

Too much too soon I'm afraid...

He looks like a youth team player and he plays like a youth team player. He's still physically weak and is pushed off the ball too easily...too often.

As has been said...He's been over hyped and thrown in the first team in the hope of a big sale but it hasn't come off. He's been played in every position bar the one he's best in and now it's time to step off the gas with him.

Interesting comments regarding Oztumer...What would Posh fans give to have him back now?

He's the creative goalscoring midfielder that we desperately need.

john316z

Post by john316z » 19 Dec 2017, 09:22

Great post. I don't think the development of players at Posh is great generally. With regards to Lloyd I think his best chances are as an impact player coming on later in games when some players get tired and more space us created. Someone else stated elsewhere about Lloyd's first touch not being great and that may add to that view.

When he shows that potential, I love watching Leo. It's part of what I love about football. Sadly that excitement is too rare though. I don't really see a better option in our squad though

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 19 Dec 2017, 09:43

All been said before, apart from the bit about trsding him with Oztumer, we can all seee how he has been overplayed and shoe-horned onto the pitch in any position just to (presumably) add value to his name. Sadly it is having the opposite effect he is becoming afraid of the ball, drifts around the pitch trying to avaoid contact with it other than when he is in acres of space and then is left in several minds as to what to do with a grenade at his feet. I doubt any EPL side would touch him with a barge pole, event to play in their under 20s side. As for the Oztumer swap I'd welcome him back in a heartbeat but sadly Walsall would have more common sense than to take LDSL in the opposite direction, we let a potential half million pound player leave and have been left with a dud. IMHO Santos was more of a man and had more potential but again was often played out of position for us.
If I die tomorrow I'd be all right
Because I believe
That after we're gone The spirit carries on

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 19 Dec 2017, 13:52

bristleposh wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 09:43
All been said before, apart from the bit about trsding him with Oztumer, we can all seee how he has been overplayed and shoe-horned onto the pitch in any position just to (presumably) add value to his name. Sadly it is having the opposite effect he is becoming afraid of the ball, drifts around the pitch trying to avaoid contact with it other than when he is in acres of space and then is left in several minds as to what to do with a grenade at his feet. I doubt any EPL side would touch him with a barge pole, event to play in their under 20s side. As for the Oztumer swap I'd welcome him back in a heartbeat but sadly Walsall would have more common sense than to take LDSL in the opposite direction, we let a potential half million pound player leave and have been left with a dud. IMHO Santos was more of a man and had more potential but again was often played out of position for us.
:lol: :lol:

mate, that was a really good post up until then.

Lovely lad but never ever would he have made a footballer.
I suggest you watch the EFL show some weeks when he is shown for what he is on a regular basis.

As for Leo, I am quite sad he hasn't 'kicked on'. Having seen him in the youths he really did have potential but for a variety of reasons it hasn't been realised.
Every so often as John said he shows a flash of what he can do but they are too infrequent and rarely come to anything.

Whether Danny Lloyd is the answer only time will tell although they certainly aren't like for like.

bettingbill

Post by bettingbill » 19 Dec 2017, 20:25

I dont know which is crazier, some of the comments aimed in Leo's direction made by GM and DM or the fact that for whatever reason, as others have said GM does look like he's almost forces to play him regardless of what position.
In Leos favour that is as absurd as it destructive, both to the lad himself but more importantly the team as invariably it makes us so incredibly disjointed and shape wise undisciplined. That said quite how he then receives the stick he does is beyond me, its not fault.
The lad will play where GM puts him, he gas no choice, even if its at full back, and to get on the back of a teenager doing, or at least trying to do his best in a variety of positions under those circumstances I find unpalatable.
Is it then any wonder he looks confused and as someone suggested very tired. With confidence drained he also doesnt look like the kind of player who will thrive in a team playing poorly as we are, and whilst it actually hurts me to say it, for his own good, I now think the lad should be taken out of the firing line for a few weeks. In short given a well earned rest

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 19 Dec 2017, 21:04

I think he'd make a good number 12 over the festive period...

DoubleRay

Post by DoubleRay » 20 Dec 2017, 09:39

Years ago some footballers were labelled as utility players. Perhaps Leo is one of these.
Now just imagine what our ubiquitous Leo will be like when he's 25......

.......and don't say knackered. :lol:

At least the little lad is spared as being a centre.back.

Ceenitall

Post by Ceenitall » 20 Dec 2017, 11:19

Not being well managed then, is he? How many times to I have to tell you lot this?

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 20 Dec 2017, 11:20

He's not a utility player at all...

His position should be behind the front two...Whether he's good enough to play it at league one level time will tell.

stuie

Post by stuie » 20 Dec 2017, 11:29

superposh80 wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 11:20
He's not a utility player at all...

His position should be behind the front two...Whether he's good enough to play it at league one level time will tell.
:stupid: :comeon:
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far