LDSL

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Ceenitall
Posts: 1206
Joined: 26 Feb 2013, 11:18

Re: LDSL

Post by Ceenitall » 24 Dec 2017, 17:48

Lopez is not a wing back, is he...what use is a wing back who can't cross the ball? Wake up you worshippers, we need a manager.

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 26916
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: LDSL

Post by bristleposh » 24 Dec 2017, 18:34

Ceenitall wrote:
24 Dec 2017, 17:48
Lopez is not a wing back, is he...what use is a wing back who can't cross the ball? Wake up you worshippers, we need a manager.
Fergusson used to play Mark Little in that position he occasionally got a cross in but with only four at the back was a liability when out of position. When LDSL has been played in that position at least the manager has had enough common sense to field five at the back. Recently you may just have noticed he hasn't been playing in him as a wing back, but don't let that stop you having a knock at the manager.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

Ceenitall
Posts: 1206
Joined: 26 Feb 2013, 11:18

Re: LDSL

Post by Ceenitall » 24 Dec 2017, 18:42

It won't! But surely you can see, the damage has been done. Remember the awful slump?

User avatar
stuie
Posts: 15376
Joined: 18 Jun 2007, 15:14
Location: cheshire

Re: LDSL

Post by stuie » 24 Dec 2017, 23:36

Ceenitall wrote:
24 Dec 2017, 17:48
Lopez is not a wing back, is he...what use is a wing back who can't cross the ball? Wake up you worshippers, we need a manager.
very reparative, and insulting to fellow posters
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

Ceenitall
Posts: 1206
Joined: 26 Feb 2013, 11:18

Re: LDSL

Post by Ceenitall » 25 Dec 2017, 11:55

stuie wrote:
24 Dec 2017, 23:36
Ceenitall wrote:
24 Dec 2017, 17:48
Lopez is not a wing back, is he...what use is a wing back who can't cross the ball? Wake up you worshippers, we need a manager.
very reparative, and insulting to fellow posters
My view. No insult intended.

JohnC
Posts: 856
Joined: 31 May 2011, 21:48

Re: LDSL

Post by JohnC » 13 Jan 2018, 22:49

In my opening post on this thread, I commented:

'Towards the end of last season, the manager (‘I don’t make the same mistake twice’) admitted to overusing LDSL, but then continued to select him to the bitter end. In all competitions, he made forty-six appearances, playing in the League opener (when he was seventeen) and also the finale. This season, he’s already made twenty-nine appearances. In the Checkatrade Trophy game recently, he spent several of the closing minutes limping ineffectually around the pitch clutching his hamstring; this while we were leading 2-0. A week later, he started again, against Woking. People within the club will claim to be better, more professionally informed about how to manage the playing time of a teenager, but some supporters may feel that this is the way to grind him down physically.'

In the past week, he started at Villa Park, and started again at Luton, but lasted only 33 minutes. Now we are told he will be out for three weeks, due to a hamstring injury. Entirely predictable, but also, in my view, wholly avoidable.

Here's a rule of thumb to consider: no teenager to make more than one start per week.

dunc
Posts: 2020
Joined: 03 Jan 2007, 01:40
Location: shropshire

Re: LDSL

Post by dunc » 14 Jan 2018, 01:26

The best thing possible - an enforced break

Wycliffe
Posts: 1239
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 07:20
Location: PISA land

Re: LDSL

Post by Wycliffe » 14 Jan 2018, 15:19

JohnC wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 22:49
In my opening post on this thread, I commented:

'Towards the end of last season, the manager (‘I don’t make the same mistake twice’) admitted to overusing LDSL, but then continued to select him to the bitter end. In all competitions, he made forty-six appearances, playing in the League opener (when he was seventeen) and also the finale. This season, he’s already made twenty-nine appearances. In the Checkatrade Trophy game recently, he spent several of the closing minutes limping ineffectually around the pitch clutching his hamstring; this while we were leading 2-0. A week later, he started again, against Woking. People within the club will claim to be better, more professionally informed about how to manage the playing time of a teenager, but some supporters may feel that this is the way to grind him down physically.'

In the past week, he started at Villa Park, and started again at Luton, but lasted only 33 minutes. Now we are told he will be out for three weeks, due to a hamstring injury. Entirely predictable, but also, in my view, wholly avoidable.

Here's a rule of thumb to consider: no teenager to make more than one start per week.
Good job Sir Alex didn't agree with that premise :wink:

Saying that (and I haven't bothered to check the actual appearances for messrs giggs, beckham etc) I don't disagree that Leo has been overplayed and truth be told has rarely deserved his extended matches on form alone.

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 16438
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: LDSL

Post by ashman » 14 Jan 2018, 17:07

Wycliffe wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 15:19
Good job Sir Alex didn't agree with that premise :wink:
Saying that (and I haven't bothered to check the actual appearances for messrs giggs, beckham etc) I don't disagree that Leo has been overplayed and truth be told has rarely deserved his extended matches on form alone.
It's a shame because in the last few games Leo was beginning to show just what he is capable of. The enforced rest may well be quite useful for the lad and at least he won't be at the mercy of the boo boys. I suppose that Kanu will be the next one to be targeted by the boo boys, whenever he gets the chance, because I thought the lad was superb at Luton.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Wycliffe
Posts: 1239
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 07:20
Location: PISA land

Re: LDSL

Post by Wycliffe » 14 Jan 2018, 19:22

ashman wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 17:07
Wycliffe wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 15:19
Good job Sir Alex didn't agree with that premise :wink:
Saying that (and I haven't bothered to check the actual appearances for messrs giggs, beckham etc) I don't disagree that Leo has been overplayed and truth be told has rarely deserved his extended matches on form alone.
It's a shame because in the last few games Leo was beginning to show just what he is capable of. The enforced rest may well be quite useful for the lad and at least he won't be at the mercy of the boo boys. I suppose that Kanu will be the next one to be targeted by the boo boys, whenever he gets the chance, because I thought the lad was superb at Luton.
Goodness me mate.
Teacher or not i would double check the meaning of the word "superb"

JohnC
Posts: 856
Joined: 31 May 2011, 21:48

Re: LDSL

Post by JohnC » 14 Jan 2018, 19:26

dunc wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 01:26
The best thing possible - an enforced break
One thing better than 'The best thing possible' might be a planned break for an uninjured player as part of a rational programme of player development.

JohnC
Posts: 856
Joined: 31 May 2011, 21:48

Re: LDSL

Post by JohnC » 14 Jan 2018, 19:47

Wycliffe wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 15:19
JohnC wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 22:49
In my opening post on this thread, I commented:

'Towards the end of last season, the manager (‘I don’t make the same mistake twice’) admitted to overusing LDSL, but then continued to select him to the bitter end. In all competitions, he made forty-six appearances, playing in the League opener (when he was seventeen) and also the finale. This season, he’s already made twenty-nine appearances. In the Checkatrade Trophy game recently, he spent several of the closing minutes limping ineffectually around the pitch clutching his hamstring; this while we were leading 2-0. A week later, he started again, against Woking. People within the club will claim to be better, more professionally informed about how to manage the playing time of a teenager, but some supporters may feel that this is the way to grind him down physically.'

In the past week, he started at Villa Park, and started again at Luton, but lasted only 33 minutes. Now we are told he will be out for three weeks, due to a hamstring injury. Entirely predictable, but also, in my view, wholly avoidable.

Here's a rule of thumb to consider: no teenager to make more than one start per week.
Good job Sir Alex didn't agree with that premise :wink:

Saying that (and I haven't bothered to check the actual appearances for messrs giggs, beckham etc) I don't disagree that Leo has been overplayed and truth be told has rarely deserved his extended matches on form alone.
A 'rule of thumb' has been defined as 'a principle with broad application that is not intended to be strictly accurate or reliable for every situation.'
I seem to remember that Giggs' early years were marked by muscle/hamstring injuries. It is arguable that Michael Owen's early troubles with hamstring injuries may have lowered his long-term 'ceiling of achievement'. That said, of course, many other teenagers have developed without significant problem. I don't feel that, in effect, playing every week is an unreasonable limit for any player, let alone a developing teenager. By early January of this year, LDSL had made 35 appearances (I don't know how many minutes per appearance).

I attend only home games (and also the Villa game), and I confess that in LDSL's play I only see occasional indications that he might become a capable League One player.

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 16438
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: LDSL

Post by ashman » 01 Feb 2018, 10:47

'Everybody needs to have a friend'

superposh80
Posts: 5408
Joined: 03 Jul 2012, 19:33

Re: LDSL

Post by superposh80 » 01 Feb 2018, 11:01

Maybe they could start by giving him a break...and leaving him on the bench for Saturday.

He's been over played and over hyped...He's too fragile to succeed at this level especially against strong physical teams like Southend.

Lewis
Posts: 36
Joined: 15 Jan 2018, 11:25

Re: LDSL

Post by Lewis » 01 Feb 2018, 11:06

I have never booed a Posh player in my life,as Swanny says it will make things worse.Also,on a human level, what a shocking thing to do to a young man.He must go home sobbing after a match.However,all players should be in the team on merit,regardless of age and this is clearly not the case with Leo.The club have been negligent by playing him too much,which has been damaging to the lad and also to Posh's progress.Swanny should direct some of his criticism in that direction aswell.
UTP

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests