Grant McCann - Manager

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

john316z

Re: Grant McCann - Manager

Post by john316z » 16 Feb 2018, 10:39

Reading Swanny's comments (I don't do toxic twitter) I didn't read it so much as an a track on the players but a veiled threat to everyone. The players still need to sort it out but clearly Darragh is annoyed with the apparent tactics and formations. Only 1 man responsible for that

Ceenitall

Post by Ceenitall » 16 Feb 2018, 11:14

john316z wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 10:39
Reading Swanny's comments (I don't do toxic twitter) I didn't read it so much as an a track on the players but a veiled threat to everyone. The players still need to sort it out but clearly Darragh is annoyed with the apparent tactics and formations. Only 1 man responsible for that
McCann is outwitted by more experienced managers, he cannot see what is heading his way.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 16 Feb 2018, 12:24

Ceenitall wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 11:14
john316z wrote:
McCann is outwitted by more experienced managers, he cannot see what is heading his way.
He is.

He can.

stuie

Post by stuie » 16 Feb 2018, 13:44

superposh80 wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 12:24
Ceenitall wrote:
john316z wrote:
He is.

He can.
agreed :stupid:
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

john316z

Post by john316z » 16 Feb 2018, 14:46

superposh80 wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 12:24
Ceenitall wrote:
john316z wrote:
He is.

He can.
He sure can although I'd be unsurprised if he's in charge in L1 again next season minus our star players

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 16 Feb 2018, 16:33

I'm not 100% convinced McCann won't walk if we don't make the playoffs. He's a very proud man and may not stick around and wait for the axe to fall, which if he's here next Christmas and we have no improvement it surely will.

bettingbill

Post by bettingbill » 16 Feb 2018, 17:13

Like all of us, we have to provide for our family so even if he fails to get us into the play off's which is looking increasingly likely I can't see him resigning and unless he gets gia wages paid, why should he.
The thoughts on here and the terraces will mean nothing. He may be a proud man and am sure he is, but family and wages must come first. Let's just hold onto the possibility that GM is here next year as it would almost certainly mean we arw in the championship

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 16 Feb 2018, 17:49

No question at all he believes what he's saying in these pre-match interviews. 100%.

None of it matters though. We are where we are in the league for a reason. No team is in a false position after this many games.

Blackpool is a HUGE game for him. It's not for us fans, as we all know deep down the play-offs won't be happening.

Lose it and it'll get very interesting. Lose it heavily and in gutless style and he's surely toast.

PoshCynic

Post by PoshCynic » 16 Feb 2018, 18:17

superposh80 wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 21:39
Seems that Darragh is pointing his finger at the players rather than management going by his Twitter tonight...

Maybe...once again....McCann will be the last man standing.
Even the best players respond better to good management.

A good coach/manager will enable ordinary players to gel into a team that is better than the players in it individually.

Does Mr McCann get the best from the players at his disposal? It seems unlikely based upon comments from regular attendees at Posh games.

Many examples in all walks of life of good workers who do not make good foremen and efficient clerks who make poor managers. Just because Mr McCann was a good player does not automatically turn him into a good manager. Very many examples - Mark Lawrenson, Mark Wright and John Wile at Posh come to mind. Bobby Charlton, Tony Adams and Bobby Moore could not hack it as managers either.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 16 Feb 2018, 19:08

Listening to that old dear Lawrenson on the BBC, making his 1950s style comments and cracks, it's hard to believe he was ever a manager.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 16 Feb 2018, 19:26

McCann doesn't appear to have progressed as a manager over the 2 years he's had the gig...The club itself has regressed over the past 3/4 years.

More importantly...Our core fan base has fallen from 6k to 4k in that time. One thing that Darragh can't turn a blind eye to.

A poor finish to the season would mean poor season ticket sales and expectations for next season...If McCann wants another season, he knows he's either got to get us in the play offs or very close to it.

Imo he won't...because he doesn't have the player's or the managerial skills to do it.

pleasureboy60

Post by pleasureboy60 » 17 Feb 2018, 12:26

I have to admit to not being one of McCann greatest fans. His tactics, team selection and constant defence of his players has not been justifiable throughout his time in charge and unfortunately I don't see that changing not this season anyway.
Whether he lives to fight another day remains to be seen, but listening to our chairman. He really thinks highly of McCann and keeps reiterating that he is an up and coming manager, learning his trade. With that in mind,it wouldn't surprise me to see him given another chance next season even if we don't make the play-offs.
We certainly have enough talent in the side and some good quality youngsters, but I feel that we have too many so called flair players and not enough grafters.
Young players who step up to this level can be hot and cold. They are not always consistent and heads will drop when things go wrong. It has been noticeable watching Posh over the last few seasons that the younger players will perform well one week and are non existent the next. Where as the likes of the more experienced players such as Grant and Taylor perform well week after week and they have been our most reliable and consistent players throughout this season.
This is something that needs addressing if we are to progress as a club and I feel a more experienced manager could perhaps motivate and generate more consistency and help our younger players perform to a better level.
Our policy will be to continue to sign young players and i don't have an argument with that!
What we need to do is make sure that these kids are coached and mentored in the right way all be with McCann or someone new.

ashman

Post by ashman » 17 Feb 2018, 13:36

DMac has spent an incredible amount on players recently and he seems to be indicating that he is not willing to spend a whole lot more and who can blame him. I think he will be more than pleased if we get into the playoffs this season and that he has no intention of getting rid of Grant McCann at all as he doesn't like being proved wrong. He has two ways of going forward if we don't get up this season.

1) He could sack Grant and sell off all our prized assets during the close season, appoint a new manager, with the promise of letting the new manager spend that accrued dosh and completely revamping the squad.

2) He could continue to show faith in Grant even into next season, keeping our assets, hoping that the youngsters within the squad step up after a season of bench warming and minimal appearances. If he goes down this route I can see a very quiet close season on the signings front.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 17 Feb 2018, 14:46

If he takes your option 2 Ashman....Prepare yourself for anther disappointing season.

The squad is...as it has been for 5 seasons.....Short on quality... unbalanced and needs rebuilding.

McCann...for me....isn't the man to do that.

ashman

Post by ashman » 17 Feb 2018, 14:54

superposh80 wrote:
17 Feb 2018, 14:46
If he takes your option 2 Ashman....Prepare yourself for anther disappointing season.

The squad is...as it has been for 5 seasons.....Short on quality... unbalanced and needs rebuilding.

McCann...for me....isn't the man to do that.
No idea which option he will take to be honest. I just hope he makes the right decision - who's to say which one that is?
'Everybody needs to have a friend'