superposh80

Re: January japery

Post by superposh80 » 13 Jan 2018, 18:57

2 signings next week....McCann.

No punts please.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 14 Jan 2018, 14:32

Cardiff have now joined the race for JM. This one would make sense.

In their position they have to take a gamble to try and make the PL. Zohore hasn't returned as many as looked likely pre-season but they're well in the top six and about 1-3 shots to finish there and a prolific striker is the missing piece of the puzzle.

If they were to offer £5m, with more if they got promoted, and a sell-on percentage, plus Tomlin on loan at a discounted rate for the rest of the season, could we resist? Can you imagine a happy Tomlin in this team? Would be spectacular.

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 14 Jan 2018, 15:48

Chompy wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 14:32

In their position they have to take a gamble to try and make the PL. Zohore hasn't returned as many as looked likely pre-season but they're well in the top six and about 1-3 shots to finish there and a prolific striker is the missing piece of the puzzle.

If they were to offer £5m, with more if they got promoted, and a sell-on percentage, plus Tomlin on loan at a discounted rate for the rest of the season, could we resist? Can you imagine a happy Tomlin in this team? Would be spectacular.
All of the above apart from Tomlin returning. While I'd love to see it, Darragh mentioned previously that Tomlin had sounded us out about a return before........ And subsequently ended up on £28,000 a week at Cardiff.

Love to see it, but FFP alone won't let it happen.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 14 Jan 2018, 15:56

You're probably right. However...

"Lee Tomlin is available on loan for around 8K a week, according to ‘friends’" - taken from the Peterborough Telegraph.

I don't believe the £28k a week figure that was banded around in the summer.

I'd also guess Marriott is our top earner. Those Luton boys earn decent £££.

It's unlikely to happen but the wages issue might not be insurmountable and it wouldn't be the biggest surprise ever.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 14 Jan 2018, 16:22

Marriott reportedly took a pay cut to come here.

I'd say Maddison and then Taylor are our top 2 earners.

As for Tomlin on 28k a week...That was laughed at when suggested to Warnock.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 14 Jan 2018, 16:36

It's funny.

On one hand Warnock tries to claim poverty and that it's a miracle he's managed to get Cardiff into the position they're in, on the other Tomlin is on wages that leave him not far behind Harry Kane.

Didn't know that about Marriott. Fair play to him. He obviously knew how good he is and just wanted somewhere to showcase his talent. Hope he goes all the way.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 14 Jan 2018, 16:54

It was Darragh...on Twitter...That suggested Marriott took a pay cut and Tomlin was on 28k.

He also reckoned that...Marriott was 2 yards onside at Wigan yesterday.

So he's prone to exaggerating.

ashman

Post by ashman » 14 Jan 2018, 17:03

superposh80 wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 16:54
It was Darragh...on Twitter...That suggested Marriott took a pay cut and Tomlin was on 28k.

He also reckoned that...Marriott was 2 yards onside at Wigan yesterday.

So he's prone to exaggerating.
Don't know whether Marriott had a pay cut or that Tomlin was on £28k but Marriott was just a whisker offside on Saturday unfortunately!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

JohnC

Post by JohnC » 14 Jan 2018, 19:24

Chompy wrote:

I find it difficult to imagine a happy Tomlin.

stuie

Post by stuie » 14 Jan 2018, 19:36

JohnC wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 19:24
Chompy wrote:

I find it difficult to imagine a happy Tomlin.
Especially having to p-lay league 1 football at Posh, too much water under the bridge IMO
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 14 Jan 2018, 19:43

If Tomlin wants to do it, though, and his head's in the right place, he's potentially our missing the link. The Dack/Powell/Payne type capable of winning games almost by himself.

That aside, seven of our starting XI at Wigan have been at the club less than a year. In the summer, after the big clearout and influx of players, none of us had a clue what we had. It turns out we had quite a bit and none of them cost a lot.

Whatever DMac does in this window is fine by me. Liam Shephard and Anthony Grant were two brought in last January. They've turned out somewhat alright.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 14 Jan 2018, 20:14

Shepherd was signed in the summer...but is doing enough to save Darragh buying another right back in i reckon.

We all know what we need...A creative midfielder and support up front for Marriott.

Bring the right two in and the play offs would be more of a possibility...

If we don't...I'm not seeing it.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 14 Jan 2018, 20:37

Oops, my bad.

I am seeing it lately. Think this squad is improving all the time.

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 14 Jan 2018, 21:58

if we could get tomlin back, plus keep ricky miller and then see if Joey barton was available, and then put in a bid for a proven international striker like ched evans and bring back darren ferguson to replace mccann then we might be able to get a season ticket, at the crown court

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 14 Jan 2018, 23:33

trevormans wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 21:58
if we could get tomlin back, plus keep ricky miller and then see if Joey barton was available, and then put in a bid for a proven international striker like ched evans and bring back darren ferguson to replace mccann then we might be able to get a season ticket, at the crown court
Nile Ranger a must then
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761