Michael Doughty

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: Poshman, poshnipper, matt404, Webby, philadlam

ashman

Michael Doughty

Post by ashman » 30 Oct 2017, 14:43

Talks a lot of sense. We could do worse than him as captain!

https://www.theposh.com/news/2017/octob ... hrewsbury/
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

tonyp

Re: Michael Doughty

Post by tonyp » 31 Oct 2017, 07:41

ashman wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 14:43

Well said Ashman.
“We proved earlier in the season that one win can turn into five wins in the blink of an eye,” Doughty said. “This was a welcome three points, but that’s all it was. The key now is to make sure it’s a springboard for us.

“The players have obviously been disappointed with the results in recent weeks. We’ve had some misfortune and we delivered a couple of below par performances, but I sensed in the last two matches a positive result was on the way and I was pleased to be a part of it.

“We had some frank talks building up to the game. We kept working hard and we got our rewards against Shrewsbury.

“We played well in spells and a piece of brilliance from Marcus Maddison won us the game. It’s important we learn how to win games when not at our best as it’s vital to keep picking up points in this league.

“We won’t always play well, but when all 11 players are on their game for 90 minutes we are capable of beating anyone as we proved against Wigan and Shrewsbury.

“Everyone putting in a great shift should be a minimum requirement every game.
Being happy never goes out of style

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 31 Oct 2017, 08:49

tonyp wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 07:41
“Everyone putting in a great shift should be a minimum requirement every game.
That is all I would expect, trouble is, humans tend to take the lazy option too often, I am certainly as guilty as most but footballers should be above this and if they are not it is down to the manager to get his hook out and haul players off even if it is early in a game if they are not putting in a "shift".
https://hashtagbay.com/wp-content/uploads/product/40593/58f7f1702485b.png

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 05 Nov 2017, 14:15

ashman wrote:

Talks the talk....

Doesn't walk the walk I'm afraid.

Another one.

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 05 Nov 2017, 14:56

ashman wrote:

Can he actually play football ? Not on yesterdays effort I fear.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

JohnC

Post by JohnC » 05 Nov 2017, 15:17

I wouldn't mind if he never played for us again. Like many of his team-mates, he embarrassed both himself and the club yesterday. Compare his impact with that of Chris Forrester when the Irishman first arrived here in a new country, stepping up a couple of divisions in class. Are we happy with Doughty (no goals in sixteen appearances) in comparison with Oztumer (seven goals for Walsall already this season, on top of the fifteen he scored last season)? In Doughty I see erratic distribution, a reluctance to exert himself (he makes ambling Joe Newell look enthusiastic), a disinclination to tackle and a complete absence of goal-scoring threat. He may give good interviews, but those communication skills are about as useful as Jack Baldwin's barbecue expertise when there's a game of football to be played.

DoubleRay

Post by DoubleRay » 05 Nov 2017, 16:35

Doughty played 12 times for QPR ( in 6 years). His career was mainly loan spells , the best of which were at Swindon last year. He actually scored against Posh which is where he was probably spotted by a scout.
I don't think you can blame any individual for Posh's loss of form. The team as a whole is under performing probably because they are average players in the main apart from Maddison, Marriott, Bond and occasionally Edwards.
They are our Posh team though and I'll continue to support them. It doesn't do any good moaning about it all the time and picking on individuals.

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 05 Nov 2017, 21:08

DoubleRay wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 16:35
Doughty played 12 times for QPR ( in 6 years). His career was mainly loan spells , the best of which were at Swindon last year. He actually scored against Posh which is where he was probably spotted by a scout.
I don't think you can blame any individual for Posh's loss of form. The team as a whole is under performing probably because they are average players in the main apart from Maddison, Marriott, Bond and occasionally Edwards.
They are our Posh team though and I'll continue to support them. It doesn't do any good moaning about it all the time and picking on individuals.
This 100%

Ceenitall

Post by Ceenitall » 05 Nov 2017, 22:47

Following McCann is like following the Pied Piper. DON'T do it!

john316z

Post by john316z » 05 Nov 2017, 22:56

DoubleRay wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 16:35
Derr... we all continue to support them but that doesn't mean we have to blindly believe everything we hear from McBlarney and McClueless either. Last 3 years there has been 1 common denominator... Some people will keep blaming the players but at some point when everything else changes and we've still got Macmishap (my cheeky name for the ones at the controls) in charge you have to recognise where the problem may lie

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 08 Nov 2017, 22:14

He was very good at scumbridge. He ain't ever going to be quick but we should know that. Lovely strike that led to the first goal and did a lot of hard work when we were defending. Over the past years we have had a helluva lot worse players than him and that is not meant as a barbed compliment

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 17 Nov 2017, 19:57

We have only lost one match when Grant and Doughty have started a match.
Maybe that's why the manager chooses him as opposed to taking any notice of those on here or other more used sites. :wink:

trevormans

Post by trevormans » 17 Nov 2017, 20:18

Ceenitall wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 22:47
the Pied Piper did the job he was asked and contracted to do

stuie

Post by stuie » 17 Nov 2017, 21:40

trevormans wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 20:18
Ceenitall wrote:
:wink:
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

ashman

Post by ashman » Yesterday, 00:49

trevormans wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 20:18
Ceenitall wrote:
Well said sir!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'