Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

superposh80

Re: Posh v Shrewsbury

Post by superposh80 » 25 Oct 2017, 11:33

JimboC1982 wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 11:23
tooposhforwords wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 15:47
Leo deserves the criticism. He’s played enough football and has shown to contribute little. Anderson was never anything great and now has a comfortable ride with the eleven.
We can't keep carrying players who are "young" or "have potential".....that young Woodburn lad at Liverpool is no where near the first team because he isn't ready yet. Some excellent ex Premier league players went out on loan to develop their game; think Beckham, Welbeck, Defoe, Lampard etc.

We need a win; or at the least a good competitive performance. No playing players out of position anymore.

As I know McCann loves a 352 and has to play youth I am going with:

Bond

Taff, Taylor, Hughes

Maddison, Grant, Lopez, Chettle, Edwards

Miller Marriott

You want our most creative player who's left footed at right wing back?

Even McCann wouldn't do that

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 25 Oct 2017, 12:30

JimboC1982 wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 11:23
tooposhforwords wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 15:47
Leo deserves the criticism. He’s played enough football and has shown to contribute little. Anderson was never anything great and now has a comfortable ride with the eleven.
We can't keep carrying players who are "young" or "have potential".....that young Woodburn lad at Liverpool is no where near the first team because he isn't ready yet. Some excellent ex Premier league players went out on loan to develop their game; think Beckham, Welbeck, Defoe, Lampard etc.

We need a win; or at the least a good competitive performance. No playing players out of position anymore.

As I know McCann loves a 352 and has to play youth I am going with:

Bond

Taff, Taylor, Hughes

Maddison, Grant, Lopez, Chettle, Edwards

Miller Marriott
I think Doughty will be in there somewhere and Miller will be on the bench. Maybe Kanu will start.
Being happy never goes out of style

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 25 Oct 2017, 14:18

No he won't. Hope this helps.

DoubleRay

Post by DoubleRay » 25 Oct 2017, 16:55

Looking at Shrewsbury, they have scored the same amount of goals as us (24). What sets them apart is they have only conceded 9 so they would seem to have a good defensive set up. Their top scorer is a bit of a journeyman called Stefan Payne who apart from Barnsley was non league with lots of clubs
(he's 26) and only scored 6 goals. So they have stayed unbeaten mainly by defensive qualities.
Our high tempo frantic style might just upset them. They certainly can't go unbeaten forever so if anyone can upset the applecart I think Posh can. Here's hoping anyway.

stuie

Post by stuie » 25 Oct 2017, 18:18

DoubleRay wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 16:55
Looking at Shrewsbury, they have scored the same amount of goals as us (24). What sets them apart is they have only conceded 9 so they would seem to have a good defensive set up. Their top scorer is a bit of a journeyman called Stefan Payne who apart from Barnsley was non league with lots of clubs
(he's 26) and only scored 6 goals. So they have stayed unbeaten mainly by defensive qualities.
Our high tempo frantic style might just upset them. They certainly can't go unbeaten forever so if anyone can upset the applecart I think Posh can. Here's hoping anyway.
:stupid: :comeon:
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 25 Oct 2017, 20:03

DoubleRay wrote:
Hoping being the operative word here.

Unless you believe the law of averages or old wives tales...there's nothing in the form book to suggest we can win this.

They're bigger stronger far better organised they have a better defence, manager....and are 16 points clear of us already.

As for this 'High tempo frantic style' we are supposed to play...All I've seen in the past 2 home games is the sideways backwards rubbish that we played under Dangerous and Westley.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 25 Oct 2017, 22:41

superposh80 wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 20:03
DoubleRay wrote:
Hoping being the operative word here.

Unless you believe the law of averages or old wives tales...there's nothing in the form book to suggest we can win this.

They're bigger stronger far better organised they have a better defence, manager....and are 16 points clear of us already.

As for this 'High tempo frantic style' we are supposed to play...All I've seen in the past 2 home games is the sideways backwards rubbish that we played under Dangerous and Westley.
We all know that this is a game that Shrewsbury should win, Super.
But surely even you can dump the form book for once and hope* that Posh can pull off a miracle and win this game.

* hope is the in word for this game.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 25 Oct 2017, 23:26

tonyp wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 22:41
hope* that Posh can pull off a miracle and win this game.

No dream
I started a joke that had the whole world crying
But I didn't see that the joke was on me

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 26 Oct 2017, 00:15

bristleposh wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 23:26
tonyp wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 22:41
hope* that Posh can pull off a miracle and win this game.

No dream
I'm sticking with hope.
We all know what your dreams contain. :)

DoubleRay

Post by DoubleRay » 26 Oct 2017, 09:11

superposh80 wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 20:03

Not for 90 minutes sure but there is a frantic side to Posh. This is often their downfall because at times it gets end to end and this is when how the defence panic and make mistakes. It must knacker the forwards and wingbacks out with all that running and then tracking back. Posh need to measure things out better. Take Miller for instance he runs around chasing lost balls when he should conserve his energy for when he actually has the ball. That's what Edwards does and it makes him more dangerous. Just bloody run at the defence.
If I was Grant I would revert back to Marriott / Miller for this game. Leave Leo on the bench because he'll sure get bumped off the ball in this one. As for Kanu he hasn't shown any promise as yet. Madison/Edwards out wide and the rest as is.
My winning formula.

Ceenitall

Post by Ceenitall » 26 Oct 2017, 10:25

If this match is lost then surely the time has come to look at the whole Posh set up, starting with the Manager.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 26 Oct 2017, 10:37

Ceenitall wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 10:25
If this match is lost then surely the time has come to look at the whole Posh set up, starting with the Manager.
it depends how it's lost.

bettingbill

Post by bettingbill » 26 Oct 2017, 18:27

I don't know what formula GM will resort to Saturday, but Miller or Kanu have to start almost certainly the former and if only because MM, as has been proven these past two games is most certainly not a CF, yet ven though playing poorly he does remain our most creative midfield player. That said if we continue as we have been these laat five six games and if he got the dire service demonstrated in these games even Harry Kane would struggle to score at the moment.
I would also like to see us go back to 4-4-2 and have MM on the left and Edwards on the right, Grant is a shoe in but who plays the offensive role beside him is matter of sheer guesswork. Should be a rollercoaster that's for sure.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 26 Oct 2017, 19:16

All the interviews suggest this ridiculous experiment to make MM Marriott's strike partner is set to continue.

Only at Posh and only for about four seasons now.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 26 Oct 2017, 21:14

bettingbill wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 18:27
I don't know what formula GM will resort to Saturday, but Miller or Kanu have to start almost certainly the former and if only because MM, as has been proven these past two games is most certainly not a CF, yet ven though playing poorly he does remain our most creative midfield player. That said if we continue as we have been these laat five six games and if he got the dire service demonstrated in these games even Harry Kane would struggle to score at the moment.
I would also like to see us go back to 4-4-2 and have MM on the left and Edwards on the right, Grant is a shoe in but who plays the offensive role beside him is matter of sheer guesswork. Should be a rollercoaster that's for sure.
None of us know what formula GM will resort to. Miller hasn't lived up to expectations so he's likely to be on the bench.
In no special order Bond, Tafazolli, Baldwin, Edwards , Maddison, Marriott, Kanu, Da Silva Lopes, Doughty, Taylor, Grant.
Could be a good game with a very poor attendance