Scunthorpe V Peterborough a Place for a Pint

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

The Jolly SAilor
Posts: 3
Joined: 15 Oct 2017, 12:50

Scunthorpe V Peterborough a Place for a Pint

Post by The Jolly SAilor » 15 Oct 2017, 13:03

Hi guys, if you`re making the trip to Glandford Park next Saturday we have just re-opened The Jolly Sailor in Gunness, 15 minutes walk from the ground, out of Town so no trouble, and a 5 minute walk from Althorpe Station, which is the stop before Scunthorpe on the Doncaster to Scunthorpe line. So come along and have a few Beers before the game, we also have Sky Sports>

The full address for the pub is:
The Jolly Sailor,
Station Road,
Gunness,
Scunthorpe,
South Humberside,
DN15 8SU

User avatar
Chompy
Posts: 4436
Joined: 19 Jul 2005, 16:26

Re: Scunthorpe V Peterborough a Place for a Pint

Post by Chompy » 15 Oct 2017, 13:06

Thanks. Plenty on here who'd rather watch Posh tanked up than sober, so sure it'll be appreciated.

And congratulations on the three points.

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 26274
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Scunthorpe V Peterborough a Place for a Pint

Post by bristleposh » 15 Oct 2017, 13:31

Chompy wrote:
15 Oct 2017, 13:06
Thanks. Plenty on here who'd rather watch Posh tanked up than sober, so sure it'll be appreciated.

And congratulations on the three points.
the way they've played in the last four, more than a few
I started a joke that had the whole world crying
But I didn't see that the joke was on me

Wycliffe
Posts: 1044
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 07:20
Location: PISA land

Re: Scunthorpe V Peterborough a Place for a Pint

Post by Wycliffe » 16 Oct 2017, 08:16

Looks horrific.
No real ale unless that has changed and looks like an estate pub.
Saying that it wouldn't bother me but it would an awful lot of the coach i am taking :D

We have a lovely pub about 10 miles away sorted, lots of real ales, craft beers and outstanding food.

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 26274
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Scunthorpe V Peterborough a Place for a Pint

Post by bristleposh » 16 Oct 2017, 09:27

Wycliffe wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 08:16
Looks horrific.
No real ale unless that has changed and looks like an estate pub.
Saying that it wouldn't bother me but it would an awful lot of the coach i am taking :D

We have a lovely pub about 10 miles away sorted, lots of real ales, craft beers and outstanding food.
...I believe you, even though you're a lager drinker.
I started a joke that had the whole world crying
But I didn't see that the joke was on me

Steamy Nin
Posts: 34
Joined: 25 Mar 2017, 17:11

Re: Scunthorpe V Peterborough a Place for a Pint

Post by Steamy Nin » 16 Oct 2017, 09:57

Wycliffe wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 08:16
Looks horrific.
No real ale unless that has changed and looks like an estate pub.
Saying that it wouldn't bother me but it would an awful lot of the coach i am taking :D

We have a lovely pub about 10 miles away sorted, lots of real ales, craft beers and outstanding food.
You're right, they only seem to do John Smith's Smooth and Carling plus some other low end nasties.If this was the only pub open then I simply wouldn't have a drink.

The Jolly SAilor
Posts: 3
Joined: 15 Oct 2017, 12:50

Re: Scunthorpe V Peterborough a Place for a Pint

Post by The Jolly SAilor » 16 Oct 2017, 15:11

Wycliffe wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 08:16
Looks horrific.
No real ale unless that has changed and looks like an estate pub.
Saying that it wouldn't bother me but it would an awful lot of the coach i am taking :D

We have a lovely pub about 10 miles away sorted, lots of real ales, craft beers and outstanding food.
Sorry our pub appears not to be for your taste, but as I said we have just re-opened the pub, two years after it had closed down. We are still working on our selection of beers, we have Strongbow and Coors on draught now, and hope to have more in the coming weeks, obviously not in time for your visit. It is handy and close enough to the ground to walk there and the nearest Train station is a five minute walk over the River Trent at Gunness Bridge

john316z
Posts: 1634
Joined: 04 Dec 2011, 23:08

Re: Scunthorpe V Peterborough a Place for a Pint

Post by john316z » 16 Oct 2017, 17:44

Wycliffe wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 08:16
Looks horrific.
No real ale unless that has changed and looks like an estate pub.
Saying that it wouldn't bother me but it would an awful lot of the coach i am taking :D

We have a lovely pub about 10 miles away sorted, lots of real ales, craft beers and outstanding food.
A day on teh sauce, would it really matter??? :wink:

Wycliffe
Posts: 1044
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 07:20
Location: PISA land

Re: Scunthorpe V Peterborough a Place for a Pint

Post by Wycliffe » 16 Oct 2017, 19:55

The Jolly SAilor wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 15:11
Wycliffe wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 08:16
Looks horrific.
No real ale unless that has changed and looks like an estate pub.
Saying that it wouldn't bother me but it would an awful lot of the coach i am taking :D

We have a lovely pub about 10 miles away sorted, lots of real ales, craft beers and outstanding food.
Sorry our pub appears not to be for your taste, but as I said we have just re-opened the pub, two years after it had closed down. We are still working on our selection of beers, we have Strongbow and Coors on draught now, and hope to have more in the coming weeks, obviously not in time for your visit. It is handy and close enough to the ground to walk there and the nearest Train station is a five minute walk over the River Trent at Gunness Bridge
Good luck to you mate.
Maybe in a couple of years :wink:

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 18326
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Scunthorpe V Peterborough a Place for a Pint

Post by tonyp » 19 Oct 2017, 09:59

Scunthorpe Telegraph
Scunthorpe United boss Graham Alexander believes a win for his side is just around the corner
Alexander hopes the nature of the draw on Tuesday will not affect his players for their game on Saturday when they face Peterborough at Glanford Park.

“All we can focus on is our performance, what we can do on and off the ball to win a game,” Alexander added.
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 16045
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Scunthorpe V Peterborough a Place for a Pint

Post by ashman » 19 Oct 2017, 17:32

'The Old Farmhouse' pub is a Hungry horse establishment and serves good food. It is only a short walk from the ground and as long as you don't wear (or show) colours they are very welcoming. Good atmosphere in there too.

Taken from the Football Ground Guide:

'At Glanford Park itself is the Iron Bar which admits visiting supporters. Otherwise near to the ground there is 'The Old Farmhouse' pub, which also allows in away fans providing though that they are not wearing team colours. There is another pub near the ground called the Berkeley, which is also popular with away supporters. To find this Sam Smiths pub go past the ground (or park there first) and follow the main road towards Scunthorpe and it is on the left hand corner of the first roundabout you reach. On my last visit this 1930's/40's art deco pub/hotel had a pleasant mixture of home and away supporters and served good beer in a comfortable atmosphere. The only draw back was that it seemed that you could only park in their car park if you were staying at the hotel, as there was an automated barrier across its entrance.
Steve Tucker adds; 'Found a great little pub called the Ironstone Wharf which is about a mile and a quarter away from the ground. It's on the A18 going away from Scunthorpe towards Gunness. After going around the left hand bend, the pub is located down on the right.'
If coming by train, then the Honest Lawyer on Oswald Road is well worth a visit. Although a modern pub inside, it has been listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide and has a number of beers on offer. Also on Oswald Road is the Blue Bell which is a Wetherspoons outlet. Otherwise alcohol is available inside the stadium.'
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Wycliffe
Posts: 1044
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 07:20
Location: PISA land

Re: Scunthorpe V Peterborough a Place for a Pint

Post by Wycliffe » 19 Oct 2017, 17:42

ashman wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 17:32
'The Old Farmhouse' pub is a Hungry horse establishment and serves good food. It is only a short walk from the ground and as long as you don't wear (or show) colours they are very welcoming. Good atmosphere in there too.
Won't you still be on your en route stop? :wink:

I'll stick with ebs at 7.30 and The Sutton Arms, Scawby at 11 :clap2:

Looking forward to several soft drinks.

User avatar
poshnipper
Nippoderator
Posts: 15753
Joined: 06 May 2005, 15:24
Location: Right behind my team!!

Re: Scunthorpe V Peterborough a Place for a Pint

Post by poshnipper » 20 Oct 2017, 06:46

Wycliffe wrote:
Won't you still be on your en route stop? :wink:

I'll stick with ebs at 7.30 and The Sutton Arms, Scawby at 11 :clap2:

Looking forward to several soft drinks.
heeeheee look at me!! :wink:

Sooooper kuuul people have time for a sleep-in, a mid morning departure, a stop en-route, in case anyone wants the lav-a-tory, a couple of pints of ..?.. (can't remember what you call Fosters), luncheon and still make kick off with time to spare 😎😎

Go us all. Lickers and PISA Express .... United :clap: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
We go again...
Proud to be POSH

Wycliffe
Posts: 1044
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 07:20
Location: PISA land

Re: Scunthorpe V Peterborough a Place for a Pint

Post by Wycliffe » 20 Oct 2017, 07:36

poshnipper wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 06:46
Wycliffe wrote:
Won't you still be on your en route stop? :wink:

I'll stick with ebs at 7.30 and The Sutton Arms, Scawby at 11 :clap2:

Looking forward to several soft drinks.
heeeheee look at me!! :wink:

Sooooper kuuul people have time for a sleep-in, a mid morning departure, a stop en-route, in case anyone wants the lav-a-tory, a couple of pints of ..?.. (can't remember what you call Fosters), luncheon and still make kick off with time to spare 😎😎

Go us all. Lickers and PISA Express .... United :clap: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:clap2: No toilet on the coach? Anyway you have never and will never see me drink fosters, it is like making love in a canoe......f!$£*&g close to water.

Safe trip anyway :D

User avatar
Chompy
Posts: 4436
Joined: 19 Jul 2005, 16:26

Re: Scunthorpe V Peterborough a Place for a Pint

Post by Chompy » 20 Oct 2017, 09:30

Grant's interview pretty interesting this time. "Apparently Leo's not a wing back" he said in response to fans' criticism.

Forums are powerful tools. Whether it was here, on the totally inaccessible Londonroad.net or on Facebook that he saw the rants...gives one a reason to carry on giving opinions for sure. There's always someone out there listening.

There are some decent views on here (NOT tonyp) and, who knows, this might be the start of a beautiful time for LDSL. Hey, maybe ever the Family Stand groaners might cut him some slack now he's playing in midfield?

We have three of the best attacking players in L1 in Marriott, Maddison and Gwion. Play them in attacking roles. We have a seriously talended young midfielder. Play him in midfield. We also have a top-end L1 keeper and a couple of solid CBs.

Bond; Shephard Taff Taylor Hughes; Grant Jermaine LDSL; Marriott Maddison Edwards.

It won't be though.

Reading between the lines of his interview, Marriott and Maddison will be our front two for the time being. "I like Marcus in an advanced position. Jack likes playing with him." Ricky who?

So more likely...Bond; Taff Calamity Taylor; Hughes Gwion Grant LDSL Jermaine; Maddison Marriott

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ceenitall and 6 guests