Posh v Gillingham

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Chompy

Re: Posh v Gillingham

Post by Chompy » 15 Oct 2017, 15:28

So a lot been made about fact the Gaffer came to my office before seeing the press after yesterday's painful defeat. So i should enlighten those of you who found this odd as I always like to be pretty honest & transparent with Posh fans. Me and the Gaffer have an agreement in times of a bad defeat at home, its best he come have a beer with me in my office and give it a good 30 mins before seeing the press. Sometimes standing in front of the press right after a defeat like that can lead to emotions heightened and things said that aren't meant etc. So best give it a bit of time and let me give him the lift he needs and then good to go. Grant is a young manager who has been in the job for 1 season and 12 games this season. He is coming off winning manager of month 4 weeks ago and beating the best team in our League imo Wigan a few weeks ago. This is a talented young manager still learning the game/business and does it with grace/class every day. He doesn't need a vote of confidence from me at all nor does he need some of the things shouted at him yesterday (but i do believe paying customers have the right to express their disappointment). What he needs from me is daily positive support/patience whilst he gets an excellent squad of players back to the level we know them capable of playing at. We do have a great group of men at the club who are Human and will lose games but i firmly believe are good enough to win a lot of games this season and make our fans proud/happy with the end result. I was gutted to hear our very own Leo boo'd onto the pitch yesterday but equally proud to see him go out & play with energy/forward thrust ignoring the white noise around him (just imagine how this kid could play with everybody cheering him on). Its upto the lads now to get the trust/support back in droves & only they are capable of this. Win/Draw/Lose ill show up, pay the bills & support the boys as best I can. Thanks.

Darragh

stuie

Post by stuie » 15 Oct 2017, 15:31

Chompy wrote:
15 Oct 2017, 15:28
So a lot been made about fact the Gaffer came to my office before seeing the press after yesterday's painful defeat. So i should enlighten those of you who found this odd as I always like to be pretty honest & transparent with Posh fans. Me and the Gaffer have an agreement in times of a bad defeat at home, its best he come have a beer with me in my office and give it a good 30 mins before seeing the press. Sometimes standing in front of the press right after a defeat like that can lead to emotions heightened and things said that aren't meant etc. So best give it a bit of time and let me give him the lift he needs and then good to go. Grant is a young manager who has been in the job for 1 season and 12 games this season. He is coming off winning manager of month 4 weeks ago and beating the best team in our League imo Wigan a few weeks ago. This is a talented young manager still learning the game/business and does it with grace/class every day. He doesn't need a vote of confidence from me at all nor does he need some of the things shouted at him yesterday (but i do believe paying customers have the right to express their disappointment). What he needs from me is daily positive support/patience whilst he gets an excellent squad of players back to the level we know them capable of playing at. We do have a great group of men at the club who are Human and will lose games but i firmly believe are good enough to win a lot of games this season and make our fans proud/happy with the end result. I was gutted to hear our very own Leo boo'd onto the pitch yesterday but equally proud to see him go out & play with energy/forward thrust ignoring the white noise around him (just imagine how this kid could play with everybody cheering him on). Its upto the lads now to get the trust/support back in droves & only they are capable of this. Win/Draw/Lose ill show up, pay the bills & support the boys as best I can. Thanks.

Darragh
good post, thank you
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 15 Oct 2017, 20:30

Whatever he says....The chairman must be as concerned about the collapse in form and attitude of the squad as the fans are.

He'll be more concerned that with it, is coming the expected drop in crowd figures...Less than 5k Posh fans in the ground yesterday.

Personally....I don't think McCann's job is as secure as people think.

Ceenitall

Post by Ceenitall » 15 Oct 2017, 20:58

One game, maybe. But three in a row....no chance! Players fed up with a rookie manager? Cheesed off with his rabbit? Fed up with fitness but no tactic training? No confidence in Grant McCann, who is unaware of his players' best and most profitable positions.

john316z

Post by john316z » 15 Oct 2017, 21:21

Last season I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. First season in charge, not having all his own choice of players.... But nothing has changed and he is the common denominator. Time to go before another season disappears under Darragh's misguided managerial decisions

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 15 Oct 2017, 22:16

Wycliffe wrote:
14 Oct 2017, 20:47
DaveLister wrote:
14 Oct 2017, 20:11
Chompy wrote:
14 Oct 2017, 18:49
Defence is fine, it's the midfield that's the problem.

After today's inspired substitution of Granty, we were left with the player that used to be Chris Forrester, the new darling of the family stand LDSL, an out-of-form Maddison and a non-leaguer who's had about 10mins game time in L1 football.

I even found the name Adil Nabi popping into my head. That's how bad it was.
Can't disagree with that.. Quite why Grant was taken off I don't know, other than Edwards and Marriott you could have almost taken anyone off apart from those three and we'd have improved.

Not a fan of dropping Taffazoli and keeping Baldwin on the pitch either, although got to be pointed out that Edwards did come in from some hammer today and wasn't offered a great deal of protection from the referee.

All that being said, Grant was on the pitch when their goalscorer was given the freedom of the midfield to have a pop from 30 odd yards for the goal. Noone closed the guy down at all.

iirc he skipped past MM as if he wasn't there.
Which he wasn't 90% of the match
It's an awful goal to concede. From the motorpoint it looked like it flew through our central midfield and defence and across Bond; maybe the angle I saw it from made it look like it was further out. Nobody challenged the guy, least of all Maddison. Bond must have seen it coming from way out, but he's slow to get across imo. Speculative effort at best and the bloke got lucky.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 16 Oct 2017, 19:57

Gillingham's reward for beating us?

Graham Westley taking over the reins!

At least it looks that way, he's 1-3 favourite now.

Poor old Gills :-)

john316z

Post by john316z » 17 Oct 2017, 07:42

Chompy wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 19:57
Gillingham's reward for beating us?

Graham Westley taking over the reins!

At least it looks that way, he's 1-3 favourite now.

Poor old Gills :-)
They would do that after beating us. His track record would seem to prevent him from getting another job....