Posh v Gillingham

Post by tonyp » 30 Sep 2017, 23:35

In another thread
superposh80 wrote:
30 Sep 2017, 20:25

This Northampton game means nothing...

We have to focus on Gillingham now
:stupid:
By the time Saturday 14th October comes around Posh could be lucky and still be in 4th place. Gillingham will probably still be in the bottom four.
Grant McCann should be shaking in his boots.
Baldwin, Hughes and Anderson shouldn't be in the team.
Marriott, Miller (even though he wasn't effective against Oxford) Anthony Grant, LDSL, Bond, Maddison will start. No idea about the others.
This is not just a must win game it is a "surely we can't lose this one" game.
Being happy never goes out of style

Chompy

Re: Posh v Gillingham

Post by Chompy » 01 Oct 2017, 00:19

Gillingham are on fumes. A lot of their players are on non-league wages. They just changed managers with no joy. They have some guts and aren't getting hammered but are probably the worst team in L1. Pretty sure we should be winning, but this is Posh and nothing's ever straightforward!

It's time to admit we only have one striker worthy of inclusion until Junior returns in the New Year. We have three months before the window opens and need to adjust to the situation.

Of course DMac insists on two up front and that causes problems. McCann basically told the world what he thinks of Ricky Miller by bringing on Kanu with more than an hour left when Junior went down injured. A teenager from Aldershot. Take that Ricky!

Let the record show that we had 20 points from nine games and were 0-0 when Junior did his thigh. Something tells me that might be our high point for the season.

We need McCann to have a Conte-style epiphony and go 4-3-3. Marriott, Maddison and Edwards as a front three, Taylor, Taff, Shephard and Hughes as a back four. Grant plus two others in the middle. Shephard and Hughes are solid when playing as full-backs, pretty terrible when trying to play as wing-backs.

We can't keep playing three at the back when we have ZERO wing-backs at the club for much longer can we? How much more evidence do they need?

Bond; Hughes Shephard Taff Taylor; Grant Doughty Forrester; Gwion Maddison Marriott. Won't happen of course. Gormley II will get another chance.

tooposhforwords

Post by tooposhforwords » 01 Oct 2017, 09:18

Chompy wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 00:19

We need McCann to have a Conte-style epiphony and go 4-3-3. Marriott, Maddison and Edwards as a front three, Taylor, Taff, Shephard and Hughes as a back four. Grant plus two others in the middle. Shephard and Hughes are solid when playing as full-backs, pretty terrible when trying to play as wing-backs.

Hear, hear!

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 01 Oct 2017, 11:13

A team hopelessly out of form....Just sacked their manager.

You know how it works
Last edited by superposh80 on 14 Oct 2017, 18:31, edited 2 times in total.

stuie

Post by stuie » 01 Oct 2017, 11:44

superposh80 wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:13
A team hopelessly out of form....Just sacked their manager.

You know how it works ...
:cry:
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

bettingbill

Post by bettingbill » 01 Oct 2017, 16:02

Chompy wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 00:19
Gillingham are on fumes. A lot of their players are on non-league wages. They just changed managers with no joy. They have some guts and aren't getting hammered but are probably the worst team in L1. Pretty sure we should be winning, but this is Posh and nothing's ever straightforward!

It's time to admit we only have one striker worthy of inclusion until Junior returns in the New Year. We have three months before the window opens and need to adjust to the situation.

Of course DMac insists on two up front and that causes problems. McCann basically told the world what he thinks of Ricky Miller by bringing on Kanu with more than an hour left when Junior went down injured. A teenager from Aldershot. Take that Ricky!

Let the record show that we had 20 points from nine games and were 0-0 when Junior did his thigh. Something tells me that might be our high point for the season.

We can't keep playing three at the back when we have ZERO wing-backs at the club for much longer can we? How much more evidence do they need?

Bond; Hughes Shephard Taff Taylor; Grant Doughty Forrester; Gwion Maddison Marriott. Won't happen of course. Gormley II will get another chance.
Blimey you really dont like Miller do you :D

That said i do agree he didn't do much yesterday, and in fairness until I saw the highlights didn't even know it was him that hit the post, but no-one can score as.many as Miller did last year and not have a degree if quality. Worryingly though whoever we play up front and i suppose we coukd push Madison up top, we're not exactly creating many chances at the moment are we?
Individual excellence apart, and thankfully Marriott is supplying that in abundance, games are invariably won or lost in midfield and clearly whatever weird formation GM opts for there is something clearly amiss and it could be as simple as he alludes to in his post match responses the collective application, as there is few signs of players bursting their guts to track back is there. But whose fault is that?
Hopefully this game will go a long way to addressing all these issues, if we dont the knives will be out in full force

Ceenitall

Post by Ceenitall » 01 Oct 2017, 16:46

The way GM is @rsing about at this time, any result is possible.

footiefan

Post by footiefan » 01 Oct 2017, 20:09

The problems yesterday were at the back. Let's hope it's just a blip. We have a lot of quality in the side, and they will step up now. :comeon:

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 01 Oct 2017, 21:04

footiefan wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 20:09
The problems yesterday were at the back. Let's hope it's just a blip. We have a lot of quality in the side, and they will step up now. :comeon:
We do have good players...Certainly good enough to be competitive in league one.

Problem is....Some of them appear to be having their brains scrambled by endless formation and tactic changing.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 01 Oct 2017, 21:35

I think a trick has been missed with not getting an experienced manager
I started a joke that had the whole world crying
But I didn't see that the joke was on me

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 03 Oct 2017, 06:50

bristleposh wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 21:35
ffs hang slack for a few more matches before you write the lad off :roll:

The players who hitherto had not let him down did exactly that twice in a week, yes he made mistakes but guess what experienced managers did that. I give you Westley for a recent example.
If we don't beat Gills then questions can be seriously asked but even then to sack a manager when in the top 6 would seem harsh.

Going.
Win 3-0
MM to turn up. JM to carry on scoring. RM to turn up and show what he can do.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 03 Oct 2017, 07:33

Wycliffe wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 06:50
bristleposh wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 21:35
ffs hang slack for a few more matches before you write the lad off :roll:

The players who hitherto had not let him down did exactly that twice in a week, yes he made mistakes but guess what experienced managers did that. I give you Westley for a recent example.
If we don't beat Gills then questions can be seriously asked but even then to sack a manager when in the top 6 would seem harsh.

Going.
Win 3-0
MM to turn up. JM to carry on scoring. RM to turn up and show what he can do.
I wasn't suggesting sacking him, we've got him we obviously have to put up with him. When you lose away at the worst team in the league who were down to ten men. Followed by a defeat at home when all is plain sailing until halftime, and only using two of your permitted substitutes. All I have seen are high lights, not even the benefit of radio com this week, I noticed we had the same glaring holes in the right side of our defence that surely should have meant a change at right back not left back. I am suggesting an experienced manager would have noticed that. Parting company with Gary Johnson was probably the biggest sin.
I started a joke that had the whole world crying
But I didn't see that the joke was on me

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 03 Oct 2017, 09:42

Parting with Tragic was one of the best things we've ever done wasn't it?

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 03 Oct 2017, 10:18

Yikes! Pining for the Gary Johnson days? Things are that bad?

Way too early to be writing off GM, but any manager worth his salt would have stopped playing LDSL at right wing-back by now. Yet somehow I still don't think we've seen the last of him there.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 03 Oct 2017, 12:13

McCann should have abandoned this wing back fiasco when he failed to sign any wing backs....Instead he's ploughed ahead with it and tried to turn full backs and midfielders into that role...it's not going to work Grant.

I'd rather we went back to the diamond.