This season

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Post Reply
User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 18990
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: This season

Post by tonyp » 02 Jan 2018, 22:41

JohnC wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 22:23
If the team is mediocre, then his professional judgement is badly awry; if it's as good as he keeps telling us it is, then it's being coached very poorly.
So you are agreeing with Stuie then?
stuie wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 18:49
however I do not feel Posh will reach our full potential, unless we bin Grant, or Grant learns faster than he has :comeon:
Being happy never goes out of style

JohnC
Posts: 858
Joined: 31 May 2011, 21:48

Re: This season

Post by JohnC » 02 Jan 2018, 23:42

tonyp wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 22:33
JohnC wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 22:23
The manager never seems to miss an opportunity to extol the virtues of his squad.
And that's what a manager should do isn't it?
A manager shouldn't blame the players for everything all the time.
Well, that is debatable, since such statements are part of the manager's ongoing dialogue with an ever-dwindling body of supporters, most of whom are capable of making their own value-judgements on what they see on the pitch. Publicly 'backing his players' can place an unfair burden of expectations on them, as in the case of the 'EPL interest' in LDSL. At one point, Noel Cantwell placed the whole team on the transfer list, and when it comes to man-management, I'd take Cantwell over the MuttonMeister any day. The alternative is not to 'blame the players for everything all the time', but to acknowledge that they are underachieving significantly in particular circumstances --specifically in the consistent failure to beat teams in the relegation zone -- last season as well as this one. If we can't beat them, we're ultimately in danger of joining them.

JohnC
Posts: 858
Joined: 31 May 2011, 21:48

Re: This season

Post by JohnC » 02 Jan 2018, 23:53

tonyp wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 22:41
JohnC wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 22:23
If the team is mediocre, then his professional judgement is badly awry; if it's as good as he keeps telling us it is, then it's being coached very poorly.
So you are agreeing with Stuie then?
stuie wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 18:49
however I do not feel Posh will reach our full potential, unless we bin Grant, or Grant learns faster than he has :comeon:
My opinions are my own; whether or not they coincide to any degree with any other poster's is incidental. We have a manager who claims not to make the same mistake twice, but so far, this season looks very like last season, and I'd be hard put to point to any significant improvement or progress.

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 18990
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: This season

Post by tonyp » 03 Jan 2018, 01:10

JohnC wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 23:53
tonyp wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 22:41
JohnC wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 22:23
If the team is mediocre, then his professional judgement is badly awry; if it's as good as he keeps telling us it is, then it's being coached very poorly.
So you are agreeing with Stuie then?
stuie wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 18:49
however I do not feel Posh will reach our full potential, unless we bin Grant, or Grant learns faster than he has :comeon:
My opinions are my own; whether or not they coincide to any degree with any other poster's is incidental. We have a manager who claims not to make the same mistake twice, but so far, this season looks very like last season, and I'd be hard put to point to any significant improvement or progress.
I'll take that as a "Yes" then.
Being happy never goes out of style

JohnC
Posts: 858
Joined: 31 May 2011, 21:48

Re: This season

Post by JohnC » 03 Jan 2018, 13:56

tonyp wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 01:10
JohnC wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 23:53
tonyp wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 22:41

So you are agreeing with Stuie then?
My opinions are my own; whether or not they coincide to any degree with any other poster's is incidental. We have a manager who claims not to make the same mistake twice, but so far, this season looks very like last season, and I'd be hard put to point to any significant improvement or progress.
I'll take that as a "Yes" then.
Or a 'No'; or a 'Maybe'; or a 'Sometimes'. I don't imagine that this is of any interest to anyone.

User avatar
stuie
Posts: 15403
Joined: 18 Jun 2007, 15:14
Location: cheshire

Re: This season

Post by stuie » 20 Jan 2018, 18:42

still only 8 points in the last 5 games, we need to pick the pace up, with that 6th spot still possible, post Oldham

anyhow 2 nice cup games up next
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

User avatar
stuie
Posts: 15403
Joined: 18 Jun 2007, 15:14
Location: cheshire

Re: This season

Post by stuie » 05 Feb 2018, 10:02

The lose and style of loss against Southend was very disappointing, especially as we all buckled in to enjoy the ride following, what appeared to be a good transfer window

Nobody gets sacked based on 1 performance and still being in with a possible, not probable play off position

This

5 points in the last 5 games, just not Posh enough
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

superposh80
Posts: 5471
Joined: 03 Jul 2012, 19:33

Re: This season

Post by superposh80 » 05 Feb 2018, 12:12

We've got talented individuals Stuie....but as a team and the way it's managed, we're not good enough to make the top six.

Top ten finish...not top six I'm afraid

User avatar
Chompy
Posts: 5231
Joined: 19 Jul 2005, 16:26

Re: This season

Post by Chompy » 05 Feb 2018, 12:44

Christiansen just got the boot from Leeds, despite a bunch of January signings and being in a decent position in the league.

Owner not prepared to write off the season.

Just saying.

dunc
Posts: 2040
Joined: 03 Jan 2007, 01:40
Location: shropshire

Re: This season

Post by dunc » 05 Feb 2018, 16:08

Bradford City still in the playoff positions - just!
A poor run of results - 6 defeats in a row - and Stuart McCall is sacked

superposh80
Posts: 5471
Joined: 03 Jul 2012, 19:33

Re: This season

Post by superposh80 » 05 Feb 2018, 16:40

dunc wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 16:08
Bradford City still in the playoff positions - just!
A poor run of results - 6 defeats in a row - and Stuart McCall is sacked
Bradford are always pretty solid at this level....Six defeats on the spin is unusual for them.

I'd say there's a lot of issues at that club atm.

bettingbill
Posts: 106
Joined: 10 Aug 2017, 07:58

Re: This season

Post by bettingbill » 05 Feb 2018, 19:49

From the outside I thought Mcall had done a great job especially after losing quite a few players in the summer, just unfortunate I guess his defeats came one o after the other......
There for grace of God and in similar circumstances could have been GM!

superposh80
Posts: 5471
Joined: 03 Jul 2012, 19:33

Re: This season

Post by superposh80 » 08 Feb 2018, 06:01

I see Swann in the PT is now predicting a sixth place finish for Posh this season....Strange, as like the rest of us, he's spent most of the season claiming we're not good or consistent enough.

Or could it have more to do with the fact that he annoyed Darragh with an article he wrote a couple of weeks ago. . and fancied a bit of brown nosing to make it up to our frustrated chairman...

User avatar
Chompy
Posts: 5231
Joined: 19 Jul 2005, 16:26

Re: This season

Post by Chompy » 08 Feb 2018, 10:56

Very unlikely 70pts will be enough, and what a garbage article anyway. One step away from joining the score prediction rofflers.

Ceenitall
Posts: 1214
Joined: 26 Feb 2013, 11:18

Re: This season

Post by Ceenitall » 08 Feb 2018, 12:34

A lot depends on the Gillingham result, a good win will set up Posh, anything other will get the voices of doom ringing out.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests