Grant McCann

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: Poshman, poshnipper, matt404, Webby, philadlam

Chompy

Re: Grant McCann

Postby Chompy » 13 Mar 2017, 11:23

Will we?

I'm not happy at all.

Who really wants to spend their afternoons watching this garbage?

GM thought Appleton was out of line when he said it was too easy at times. 100% correct I'd say. It's just a good job we have enough points on the board to stay up.

superposh80

Postby superposh80 » 13 Mar 2017, 11:52

Chompy wrote:Will we?

I'm not happy at all.

GM thought Appleton was out of line when he said it was too easy at times. 100% correct I'd say. It's just a good job we have enough points on the board to stay up.

this.

we have won 4 of the last 16...and lost 5 of the last 6.

it's a good job we have got 50 points...which incidentally isn't guaranteed enough.

we are in free fall...and regression for the 5th season in a row.

we are not building any momentum for next season...and unless the right decisions are made in the summer re ins and outs, we could well be in a relegation battle this time next year.

a battle that this mob wouldn't be up for.

stuie

Postby stuie » 13 Mar 2017, 12:12

superposh80 wrote:
Chompy wrote:Will we?

I'm not happy at all.

this.

we have won 4 of the last 16...and lost 5 of the last 6.

it's a good job we have got 50 points...which incidentally isn't guaranteed enough.

we are in free fall...and regression for the 5th season in a row.

we are not building any momentum for next season...and unless the right decisions are made in the summer re ins and outs, we could well be in a relegation battle this time next year.

a battle that this mob wouldn't be up for.

unfortunately, it is plain to see, since the Palace game we have regressed year on year, I did not have the foresight of some on here, to realise what a pivotal point that was in the history of The Mighty Posh
Rochdale to Bolton 2016 - 2017

superposh80

Postby superposh80 » 13 Mar 2017, 12:19

it certainly was stuie....a day that we have never recovered from.

2012...18th in the championship

2013...22nd.

2014...6th in league one

2015...9th

2016...13th

tonyp

Postby tonyp » 13 Mar 2017, 12:36

stuie wrote:It is plain to see, since the Palace game we have regressed year on year, I did not have the foresight of some on here, to realise what a pivotal point that was in the history of The Mighty Posh

None of us did, at the time.
Who are these "some on here" who said after the Palace game that that was the end of the world and we would regress year on year from then on?
Plenty have said it since.
Being happy never goes out of style.

stuie

Postby stuie » 13 Mar 2017, 13:04

tonyp wrote:
stuie wrote:It is plain to see, since the Palace game we have regressed year on year, I did not have the foresight of some on here, to realise what a pivotal point that was in the history of The Mighty Posh

None of us did, at the time.
Who are these "some on here" who said after the Palace game that that was the end of the world and we would regress year on year from then on?
Plenty have said it since.

Pretty sure Brian, Super, and Ashman described this loss, at the time as something that would take years if not decades to recover from

They will confirm, plus others that said the same at the time hopefully will chip in

For me, simple Stuie, believed in the DMAC rhetoric and expected us to challenge again for Championship football
Last edited by stuie on 13 Mar 2017, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

Brianposh

Postby Brianposh » 13 Mar 2017, 13:20

Walking back to the Coach after the Palace game I said it was the very worst result we wanted.......in front of witness's, and it would take a few years to recover. I said forget the Championship for 5-10 years at best. Later Fergie said it had destroyed him and it took nearly 2 years for him to get over it. Only one other that day said the same as I did......Dave(Ashman). A good many realised quickly though and within days many were saying the same.
Last edited by Brianposh on 13 Mar 2017, 13:24, edited 2 times in total.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

superposh80

Postby superposh80 » 13 Mar 2017, 13:22

I said...A club our size may never recover.

As did the four lads that were with me that day.

On this forum....I recall Brian & Ashman saying at least 5 years

cowhuts

Postby cowhuts » 13 Mar 2017, 13:52

You could see how upset Ferguson was at the time. That defeat at Palace (almost) reduced me to tears. It took me a year to get over it, I didn't go to any matches the following season - the first time for over 15 years.

Chompy

Postby Chompy » 13 Mar 2017, 16:03

Remember that day like it was yesterday.

Fell to my knees when Palace scored the goal that sent us down. Horrendous.

stuie

Postby stuie » 13 Mar 2017, 16:06

Chompy wrote:Remember that day like it was yesterday.

Fell to my knees when Palace scored the goal that sent us down. Horrendous.

yup, will never forget that day, pretty sure the day after was a bank holiday, I was numb all the next day

superposh80

Postby superposh80 » 13 Mar 2017, 16:40

It was the first Saturday in May....bank holiday weekend.

tonyp

Postby tonyp » 13 Mar 2017, 23:55

Well there’s no argument that the loss to Crystal Palace on Saturday May 4th 2013 was shattering to all of us (in my case at about 2am Sunday morning).
But I was nearly as badly shattered by Barnsley drawing with Huddersfield. Even with our loss a Barnsley loss would have kept us up. And unlike anyone else on here I had to endure the crowing of a Barnsley supporting “mate”.
But I have to admit that I didn’t think at the time that we would still be struggling in March 2017.
Nor did I read any of the comments referred to in this thread forecasting that we would still be. And, worse still, that we will be for some years yet. (I am NOT saying the comments weren't made. I don't remember reading them.)
Furthermore of the 17 people who entered Poshay’s League Position predicting game for 2013/14, 7 said that Posh would finish top, 6 second, 3 playoffs (including Poshay who correctly predicted we would finish 6th) and one (whiteg) in a lowly 8th. (I don't remember that either. I looked it up.)
Even including whiteg’s prediction they really don’t look like predictions of anyone who thought we would be going rapidly downhill after the Crystal Palace game.
Anyway, back to the topic of this thread.
Chompy asked “Should this squad be in the position they are? If no, whose fault is it?”
Well if it’s because we lost to Crystal Palace back in 2013 then it is hardly McCann’s fault.
In fact it reinforces my suggestion that it is DMac’s fault.

superposh80

Postby superposh80 » 14 Mar 2017, 09:33

Tony...I wouldn't take any notice of this prediction league you keep on about. You have posters having us down to win the league every season...and win every week. It's nonsense...It's a game.

Ultimately...We got relegated in 2013 because we lost our first 7 games...We never left the bottom 3, we could never drag the deficit back.

As for now...We are slowly in regression because we don't have the right plan in place. Poor managerial appointments, the wrong players brought in and best players have to be sold. League one is a very physically demanding division these days...Most of our players don't appear to be able to deal with it and until we change our mentality...We'll go nowhere.

tonyp

Postby tonyp » 14 Mar 2017, 09:51

superposh80 wrote:Tony...I wouldn't take any notice of this prediction league you keep on about. You have posters having us down to win the league every season...and win every week. It's nonsense...It's a game.

Ultimately...We got relegated in 2013 because we lost our first 7 games...We never left the bottom 3, we could never drag the deficit back.

As for now...We are slowly in regression because we don't have the right plan in place. Poor managerial appointments, the wrong players brought in and best players have to be sold. League one is a very physically demanding division these days...Most of our players don't appear to be able to deal with it and until we change our mentality...We'll go nowhere.

I go along with most of that except that -
1. The prediction league (which I don't keep going on about) was members' genuine predictions of what they thought would happen.
2. You don't mention that DMac was involved in most, if not all, of the bad decisions.

Return to “The Posh”