Re: Posh v Shrewsbury

Postby DoubleRay » 15 Feb 2017, 09:25

I'm just pleased we won.

_20170215_082412.JPG
_20170215_082412.JPG (9.91 KiB) Viewed 279 times

john316z

Postby john316z » 15 Feb 2017, 09:48

First game for a while. 2 poor teams. Pleased with the win but we still look a bit toothless up front. That said I thought Angol was a physical presence we've been missing for too long and Junior looks like he'll come good. Happy with the 3 points but less so with the performance. Grant looks a quality player and Taff definitely McCanns bet signing by far

tonyp

Postby tonyp » 15 Feb 2017, 10:43

Chompy wrote:Oh dear.

The standard of analysis on here leaves something to be desired.

Not even gonna bother. Pretty sure my thoughts aren't appreciated anyway.

Your thoughts are appreciated by me. As are the thoughts of anyone who attended the game.
That's the only way we who can't go get some idea of what happened and what is likely to happen next.
Being happy never goes out of style.

Ileyout

Postby Ileyout » 15 Feb 2017, 11:05

Of course their guy should have been booked and consequently sent off. He was time wasting, which is cheating. It would have been very wrong of the ref to hold back the second yellow just because he had been booked earlier. I suspect the Shrewsbury players had probably been warned about time wasting, prior to this taking place anyway, so a fully justified sending off and a deserved 3 points.

Chompy

Postby Chompy » 15 Feb 2017, 11:07

Well the ref was a complete homer. Sending off was absurd and there's no way we'd have beaten them had they kept 11 on the field. We had three strikers on against ten men for most of the second half and the goals came from the two centre backs from set plays. Says it all.

Maddison's best days in a Posh shirt are 100% behind him. Angol is essentially gutless and doesn't want it enough. I'd ship both out in the summer. Compare their attitudes to the likes of Junior, who lives every second of it, and Bozzy.

Grant and Forrester give us a solid base in midfield though.

We have zero chance of making the top six.

Brianposh

Postby Brianposh » 15 Feb 2017, 11:45

Sending off was the correct decision, Forrester once again poor, Grant a good solid game. They got what they deserved in the end as they came out second half just to waste time. Walsall and Southend two very difficult games coming up.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

stuie

Postby stuie » 15 Feb 2017, 11:53

:stupid:
tonyp wrote:
Chompy wrote:Oh dear.

The standard of analysis on here leaves something to be desired.

Not even gonna bother. Pretty sure my thoughts aren't appreciated anyway.

Your thoughts are appreciated by me. As are the thoughts of anyone who attended the game.
That's the only way we who can't go get some idea of what happened and what is likely to happen next.
Rochdale to Bolton 2016 - 2017

stuie

Postby stuie » 15 Feb 2017, 12:01

Thanks for the reports, I was certainly more optimistic after listening to the commentary, than I am now having read your reports, but many thanks
Rochdale to Bolton 2016 - 2017

superposh80

Postby superposh80 » 15 Feb 2017, 12:57

come on stuie....you've seen us play enough times this season to see our weaknessess.

lack of firepower...14 goals from our strikers in 31 games.

not good/consistent enough to win a play off.

i'll stick to my statement that i hope we don't make them...it could do us more harm than good going into next season, many teams struggle the following year after a failed play off campaign as much as others do following relegation.

work to be done in the transfer market in the summer by the heirarcy, for sure.

tonyp

Postby tonyp » 15 Feb 2017, 13:00

superposh80 wrote:

:stupid: Whether or not we get promoted.

By the way it's hierarchy.
Being happy never goes out of style.

john316z

Postby john316z » 15 Feb 2017, 14:15

superposh80 wrote:

I suspect we are working within a certain budget with regards the transfer market and that actually dictates the type of players we can attract. Maybe we need to accept that we can be a mid-table L1 with aspirations to flirt near the top of of L1. The alternative is we sign a bunch of 30 somethings with less future sell on benefits but have that experience, which doesn't seem to fit the club's policy. So unlikely

superposh80

Postby superposh80 » 15 Feb 2017, 14:47

Whatever the budget is John. ..it's still all about signing the right players.

Fleetwood and Rochdale would have much smaller budgets but appear to be doing pretty well, because they have experienced managers making good decisions in the transfer market.

McCann should have learned a lot by his mistakes this season...He can put them right in the summer and it doesn't have to cost us a fortune...

Look at Anthony Grant.

Chompy

Postby Chompy » 15 Feb 2017, 14:47

Not sure about that john.

DMac splashes the cash when the mood takes/the situation allows.

It's not that long ago we were paying seven figures for the likes of Britt, Cummings and, ahem, Tyrone.

Summer will be the time to cash in on Leo and Maddison and have a proper go at it. Go out and try for the likes of Cummings again, McBurnie, Carey, Watkins.

If we ship out the peripherals and hold on to the likes of Lopes and MM we won't go anywhere next season either.

For any team to be successful in this league, they need a player capable of carrying a game on his own. Like when we had Boydy. We don't have that currently, or anything close. Scunny have Morris, Sheff Utd have Fleck. We have...Maddison? When he feels like it.

Be ambitious in the summer. Don't ask, don't get. If Darragh really thinks he's close to the end of his reign, he might as well have one more proper roll of the dice before he goes. No point fizzling out with the likes of Taylor and Angol going through the motions.

john316z

Postby john316z » 15 Feb 2017, 17:43

superposh80 wrote:Whatever the budget is John. ..it's still all about signing the right players.

Fleetwood and Rochdale would have much smaller budgets but appear to be doing pretty well, because they have experienced managers making good decisions in the transfer market.

McCann should have learned a lot by his mistakes this season...He can put them right in the summer and it doesn't have to cost us a fortune...

Look at Anthony Grant.

I agree with you but my point was one that Darragh's policy seems that he can no longer attract the players we once could so we end up signing players not good enough (or so it would appear). I'm all for signing players that improve our squad such as Anthony Grant (agreeing with you twice!) but that has never appealed to Darragh. Buy cheap sell high.... We now buy cheap and get stuck with them.

john316z

Postby john316z » 15 Feb 2017, 17:46

Chompy wrote:Not sure about that john.

DMac splashes the cash when the mood takes/the situation allows.

It's not that long ago we were paying seven figures for the likes of Britt, Cummings and, ahem, Tyrone.

Summer will be the time to cash in on Leo and Maddison and have a proper go at it. Go out and try for the likes of Cummings again, McBurnie, Carey, Watkins.

If we ship out the peripherals and hold on to the likes of Lopes and MM we won't go anywhere next season either.

For any team to be successful in this league, they need a player capable of carrying a game on his own. Like when we had Boydy. We don't have that currently, or anything close. Scunny have Morris, Sheff Utd have Fleck. We have...Maddison? When he feels like it.

Be ambitious in the summer. Don't ask, don't get. If Darragh really thinks he's close to the end of his reign, he might as well have one more proper roll of the dice before he goes. No point fizzling out with the likes of Taylor and Angol going through the motions.

I think this goes back to the fact that Darragh would appear to not have the cash he once had or chooses to no longer invest in the same way. This may be driven by the new rules based on our gates but whatever it is those days of £1m deals look long gone

Return to “The Posh”