Posh v Sheffield United

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: Poshman, poshnipper, matt404, Webby, philadlam

superposh80

Re: Posh v Sheffield United

Postby superposh80 » 12 Feb 2017, 13:34

Two minutes Bristol?

Including injury time it was more like ten.

Yes...They didn't score until late on but don't let that make you believe that they edged it. They were superior in all departments and once they did score, they saw the rest of the game out with ease.

We do have the basis of a good squad...but we're carrying too many. Grant is an excellent addition but it should have been last summer.

I'm sort of hoping we don't make the play offs because I don't think it'll do this squad any favours for next season as we're not equipped to win them....and we're certainly not nearly ready for championship football.

DaveLister
Second Technician

Postby DaveLister » 12 Feb 2017, 14:42

Unfortunate reports of Blades misbehaving yesterday, a refreshment bar in the Motorpoint robbed, and a steward assaulted.

A minority, but still unsavoury.

DoubleRay

Postby DoubleRay » 12 Feb 2017, 17:05

superposh80 wrote:
I'm sort of hoping we don't make the play offs because I don't think it'll do this squad any favours for next season as we're not equipped to win them....and we're certainly not nearly ready for championship football.

I for one am hoping we do reach the playoffs. I am only surprised we are still only 3 points off it with our win one lose one type of season. The play offs are the only thing worth hoping for surely and they are better than any cup game with the reward being enormous for Posh.

stuie

Postby stuie » 12 Feb 2017, 17:25

:comeon: :stupid:
DoubleRay wrote:
superposh80 wrote:

I for one am hoping we do reach the playoffs. I am only surprised we are still only 3 points off it with our win one lose one type of season. The play offs are the only thing worth hoping for surely and they are better than any cup game with the reward being enormous for Posh.
Rochdale to Bolton 2016 - 2017

superposh80

Postby superposh80 » 12 Feb 2017, 17:45

I think most Posh fans would be surprised that we're close to the top six after witnessing most of our home performances this season....It's our away form that's got us where we are.

We're not ready to win the play offs yet...and certainly not for the Championship.

It won't happen.

pleasureboy60

Postby pleasureboy60 » 12 Feb 2017, 17:51

I thought yesterday's game highlighted the fact that we still havn't addressed the problem of a natural goalscorer. Something that has been apparent from the start of the season and here we are almost in March and we still lack the firepower up front.
I thought we were ok for the first half an hour of the game, but 15 mins before half time and for much of the second half Sheff Utd up their game and were convincing winners in the end.
Not for the first time this season our midfield were far too deep, especially in the second half and our midget forwards were isolated. There was no one up front to hold the ball up and the number of times it was just lost outside the penalty area and the Sheffield midfield just picked the ball up at will.
I would have played Angol upfront yesterday, at least he can hold the ball up and is just about the only one of our current forward line who can actually head a ball.
I couldn't fault the forwards for their running and chasing the ball,but unfortunately we have too many of the same type of striker. Lots of huffing and puffing, but no end product.
That's the reason why we will be playing division 1 football next season.

stuie

Postby stuie » 12 Feb 2017, 18:06

2 good posts

my head tells me that we will be playing division 1 football

possibly making the play offs

my heart tells me, if, if we make the playoffs, we could get promoted

If the same Posh spirit is the one that was at Port Vale it could just be fun
Rochdale to Bolton 2016 - 2017

superposh80

Postby superposh80 » 12 Feb 2017, 18:22

Spot on post by pleasureboy.

Chompy

Postby Chompy » 12 Feb 2017, 18:23

100%

May have been different had Swansea not pulled the plug on McBurnie at the last minute.

john316z

Postby john316z » 12 Feb 2017, 18:26

No harm in hoping. After all we all want us to do well don't we? Don't we? Sometimes you look on here and some of us are disappointed when we do well. I may be critical at times but who'd rather be watching us in Championship football than L1? Yes it looks unlikely but every game my hopes are the same, often they're dashed, but the hope is still there...

superposh80

Postby superposh80 » 12 Feb 2017, 18:49

The McBurnie situation was unfortunate...but we haven't helped ourselves with the striker issue.

We knew in August we were short...It should have been addressed then.

Return to “The Posh”