Re: Summer business

Post by Wycliffe » 16 Apr 2018, 21:14

DaveLister wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 13:54
Chompy wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 09:07
DaveLister wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 07:15
George Boyd won't return to Posh. He's got another year on his Wednesday contract and will be nearly 34 when it expires. I'll be surprised if he doesn't just have a year or two in league two before he retires.
Another year's contract at Sheff Wed? Who knew!

He's the sort to go on playing as long as he can though. Would never have him down as a bench warmer, although he's been back in the team lately. Worth an ask for sure though.
He's a natural athlete and has never really suffered with injuries. But signing players in their mid thirties looking for their last payday (George joined Wednesday because they offered him two years as opposed to the year on offer from Burnley) isn't our policy, despite his obvious quality. He'll have a year at somewhere like Oldham then he'll call it a day I reckon.
If he expresses a wish to return as opposed to a year at somewhere like Oldham (where on earth did that come from? :lol: ) I would hazard a serious guess he'd be more than welcome if the Chairman is the same.
He'd not be greedy that's for sure.

DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister » 17 Apr 2018, 02:13

George certainly isn't greedy, but you can understand taking the security of a two year deal at Wednesday. We'd all love to see him back at Posh, but it's not building for the future which is the clubs policy. It's very rare that these days we'd sign a player in his 30s.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 17 Apr 2018, 05:46

Chompy wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 21:12
Always interested in your stuff Wycliffe but I'd be amazed if JM stays this summer.
Me too.

We'll be pushing this sale in the summer I reckon...Cash in and strike whilst the iron is hot.

If he's going to bounce next season....Let him do it at his next club.

Like Washington did.

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 17 Apr 2018, 07:04

Chompy wrote:
Always interested in your stuff Wycliffe but I'd be amazed if JM stays this summer. Fancy a side bet?
I'm addicted to Stella not gambling mate, need all my dosh to get sloshed :wink:

i did cover my rotund bottom by stating it was a possibility only.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 17 Apr 2018, 08:51

It's been non-stop Marriott ramping by big Steve since he came in. Ronaldo this, Chris Wood that.

JM won't want the prospect of another season in L1 and we could use the money now for a rebuild.

God I hope we've got something in place for an Eisa/Aneke type already rather than picking up some winger from Weston-Super-Mare who's managed 12 assists despite being part of a mid-table team.
Wycliffe wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 07:04
Chompy wrote:
Always interested in your stuff Wycliffe but I'd be amazed if JM stays this summer. Fancy a side bet?
I'm addicted to Stella not gambling mate, need all my dosh to get sloshed :wink:

i did cover my rotund bottom by stating it was a possibility only.
Have eight pints of Stella on Blackburn at 1-2 and you've then got 12 pints of Stella. Simple. Will help ease the pain of watching Dack run rings around our non-existant central midfield too.

Chenza

Post by Chenza » 18 Apr 2018, 17:34

Boyd and tomlin would be great to have back if we lose Marriott and Madison
BORN & BRED PETERBORIAN....TRUE BLUE

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 18 Apr 2018, 20:37

Chenza wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 17:34
I think we'd be stumped for wages, ergo NFC
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

john316z

Post by john316z » 18 Apr 2018, 20:58

Chenza wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 17:34
if we're looking at unrealistic options, how about Gayle and Assombalonga up top and Ryan Bennett at the back?

Could we afford the wages?

tooposhforwords

Post by tooposhforwords » 18 Apr 2018, 21:25

if we're looking at unrealistic options, how about Gayle and Assombalonga up top and Ryan Bennett at the back?

Wrong! We must buy the ground first.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 21 Apr 2018, 16:34

Duckens Nazon is another who'l be in demand in the summer.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 21 Apr 2018, 16:52

"Complete Rebuild"....Is the word

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 21 Apr 2018, 17:15

tooposhforwords wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 21:25

Wrong! We must buy the ground first.
Yes, we must, glad you agree.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 22 Apr 2018, 14:02

I feel if possible and I doubt it will be we need c'ship players in division 1 like in the main Blackburn and Wigan.
Shrewsbury I have to say have totally gobsmacked me with their ability to stay the pace with their squad. I fear for them that they'll lose out in the play offs.
Squad wise these are my thoughts with the above in mind.

O'Malley. Feed him and ffs someone teach him to kick the ball. KEEP
Shephard. As with many a player that when on it is ok but not a lot more and we could get better. LET GO
Penney. LET GO.
Taylor. I have never read so much ******** as that from Hugh Janus even from him. He has of course made the odd mistake although slipping over is not due to incompetence. Over the whole season he has been outstanding and has helped Taff. I have a feeling however he's going, financially for one reason and I am not sure Evans wants a strong willed senior player KEEP IF POSSIBLE.
Baldwin. Love the bloke and he's off pitch been an absolute credit to the club and himself. He has all the attributes to succeed, good in the air, quick, good tackler and his distribution has been less woeful recently. However his habit of making mistakes that always seem to be punished have massively affected us. If he could eliminate those mistakes he'd be a keep but then most others would probably agree but sadly I am not sure he could. Would be happy if he stayed and improved . LET GO
Taff. A fit Taff is good enough for c'ship. He has learnt from Tayles, should do better from set pieces corners especially but they rarely beat the first defender. KEEP
Hughes. Difficult one. At times more than good enough at LB and a handy back up at CH. C'ship standard I'm not convinced but his ability to be a squad player means KEEP
Forrester. On it easily good enough but I am afraid his personal issues seem to have affected him too much. Talent not in dispute and it would not surprise me too see him eventually succeed somewhere. LET GO
Leo. So wanted him to succeed, I was fighting his corner before a lot knew he existed and his performances at youth level made all of us who saw him convinced that 'we had one'. He has not kicked on in any way, I would say he was a better player at 16 overall. Body language is terrible, positional awareness non existent and the odd bit of skill he shows is inevitably ruined by a terrible final ball. LET GO
Gwion. Best player we have imo and more than ready for the next level. I hope he doesn't turn into an injury prone player. A fit Gwion will be the first name on the team sheet. KEEP
MM. He'll stay as nobody will pay what we seem to want imo. Talented beyond belief and at the start of the season his attitude seemed to have changed for the better. That disappeared pdq sadly. Stats are stats and of course tell a story but maybe someone else or two between them could have done the same. We may find out, we may not. I'd be happy if he stayed with the right 'head'. I wouldn't look forward to seeing him play against us if anyone buys him I must admit. Not sure he wants to be here under Evans but that goes for the past 3 seasons. KEEP unless wished for dosh is paid.
Lloyd. He has done incredibly well for a first season after non league and he would make decent player at the lower level ie division 2 and would start most games. In this division he is a decent impact player, whilst I am not convinced he could go c'ship level I feel he deserves a go to prove himself. If it doesn't work out he's been a cheap punt so no harm done and as a lad he deserves the chance. KEEP
Ward. Strange signing at the time and hasn't worked. LET GO
Cooper. imo there's a player in there and whilst it was a division below Crewe had the benefits of that player, thus far we have not. Hope he kicks on and believe he will. If MM goes he'll play more I would think. KEEP
Doughty. Good player on the ball but too slow in thought and deed. LET GO
Grant. Was bought for one reason, to win the ball and give it to the footballers, they however have not done their jobs whereas in the main he has. Div 1 he is ok although would only play in certain scenarios but next step would see him sent off most games. KEEP for the season.
Anderson. As Leo. LET GO.
Junior. Pretty convinced Evans sees nothing in him. Start of the season he showed there is but I fear that was the height of his ability. He'll make a superb signing for a div 2 side. Stevenage is calling. LET GO
JM. Amazing first season, the second is always the hardest and only the very best kick on from the sort of for Jack has shown. He is a poacher and whether he'll kick on to become a better all round player I have my doubts.
CMS did so maybe I am being harsh. I think we are dreaming with some of the figures being thrown around and not all by our Chairman, if anyone gets near he's gone but I still think it'll be January. He will have to be replaced and history shows we are not always successful in getting replacements. A bit convoluted but KEEP unless fee anywhere near mentioned is met and pray he matches this season's feat.
Kanu. LET GO
Inman. LET GO

I doubt very much we will be able to sell on a fair number of the above and the will to kick on will be severely tested by the owners as , although we don't throw 4 year contracts around like we used to a fair few of the above have only signed relatively recently.

The other annoying thing is that a large number of the above when 'on it' are in fact good enough to get us up but consistency is massive in football and that has been non existent in a positive way in too many of them.

The last annoyance is a certain someone will make a bloody fortune for doing his job!

As some one who is fortunate enough to meet some of these lad socially through FreeKicks etc it is a great shame it hasn't worked out as they are in the main a bloody good bunch of young men.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » 22 Apr 2018, 14:16

The reason Shrewsbury have stayed the pace is because of their squad. Nolan and Beckles will both go on to better things but I hope they win the play-offs, as otherwise the vultures will pick apart their team. They could well do an Orient next season.

I don't care who goes from our squad. Have no real affinity with any of them.

The ongoing culture of underachievement prevelant for the past two seasons will soon be a thing of the past. Thank god.

superposh80

Post by superposh80 » 22 Apr 2018, 20:09

A lot of these players won't be easy to shift.

Only 3 are out of contract this summer....The rest have 1-3 years left.

How many Adil Nabi's are we going to be left with?