FA Cup Fourth round Posh v Leicester

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Post Reply
User avatar
stuie
Posts: 15376
Joined: 18 Jun 2007, 15:14
Location: cheshire

Re: FA Cup Fourth round

Post by stuie » 12 Jan 2018, 19:38

HantsPosh wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 19:03
£20/£25 if we end up playing Fleetwood could see a very small attendance indeed!
maybe, maybe not, Fleetwood is more winnable, onwards and upwards
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

hondurasposh
Posts: 1
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 14:25

Re: FA Cup Fourth round

Post by hondurasposh » 13 Jan 2018, 14:42

Having grown up in Stamford, as many Posh Fans did, Posh vs Leicester, if not exactly a local derby to Posh fans from other areas, has always had a special resonance. Many from Stamford unfortunately chose to support Leicester (probably a lot more now) and we would often cross paths on away trips on trains. During our flirt with the second tier after Wembley 92' the Posh/Leicester games did become a kind of 'derby'. Does anyone remember an away game (I think the first game of the season) at Filbert Street when Leicester didn't give us any tickets (was ground redevelopment the excuse?) and a sizeable group of us Posh fans had to go in the home section? I remember it being pretty intimidating.

User avatar
stuie
Posts: 15376
Joined: 18 Jun 2007, 15:14
Location: cheshire

Re: FA Cup Fourth round

Post by stuie » 13 Jan 2018, 14:45

hondurasposh wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 14:42
Having grown up in Stamford, as many Posh Fans did, Posh vs Leicester, if not exactly a local derby to Posh fans from other areas, has always had a special resonance. Many from Stamford unfortunately chose to support Leicester (probably a lot more now) and we would often cross paths on away trips on trains. During our flirt with the second tier after Wembley 92' the Posh/Leicester games did become a kind of 'derby'. Does anyone remember an away game (I think the first game of the season) at Filbert Street when Leicester didn't give us any tickets (was ground redevelopment the excuse?) and a sizeable group of us Posh fans had to go in the home section? I remember it being pretty intimidating.
welcome to the board, great first post :comeon:
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 18977
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: FA Cup Fourth round

Post by tonyp » 13 Jan 2018, 15:50

hondurasposh wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 14:42
Having grown up in Stamford, as many Posh Fans did, Posh vs Leicester, if not exactly a local derby to Posh fans from other areas, has always had a special resonance. Many from Stamford unfortunately chose to support Leicester (probably a lot more now) and we would often cross paths on away trips on trains. During our flirt with the second tier after Wembley 92' the Posh/Leicester games did become a kind of 'derby'. Does anyone remember an away game (I think the first game of the season) at Filbert Street when Leicester didn't give us any tickets (was ground redevelopment the excuse?) and a sizeable group of us Posh fans had to go in the home section? I remember it being pretty intimidating.
Welcome to the board hondurasposh. If you have the time you can tell us all a bit more about yourself on the Introduuce Yourself thread in General Chat.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14808&start=450
Being happy never goes out of style

Wycliffe
Posts: 1239
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 07:20
Location: PISA land

Re: FA Cup Fourth round

Post by Wycliffe » 14 Jan 2018, 19:48

hondurasposh wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 14:42
Having grown up in Stamford, as many Posh Fans did, Posh vs Leicester, if not exactly a local derby to Posh fans from other areas, has always had a special resonance. Many from Stamford unfortunately chose to support Leicester (probably a lot more now) and we would often cross paths on away trips on trains. During our flirt with the second tier after Wembley 92' the Posh/Leicester games did become a kind of 'derby'. Does anyone remember an away game (I think the first game of the season) at Filbert Street when Leicester didn't give us any tickets (was ground redevelopment the excuse?) and a sizeable group of us Posh fans had to go in the home section? I remember it being pretty intimidating.
As a fellow ex Stamfordian (sort of) I agree with all the above.
I had more POSH 'lads' around me than at the filbert street match so didn't feel intimidated at all :lol:
Last edited by Wycliffe on 17 Jan 2018, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stuie
Posts: 15376
Joined: 18 Jun 2007, 15:14
Location: cheshire

Re: FA Cup Fourth round

Post by stuie » 16 Jan 2018, 22:52

so Leicester it is :comeon:
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 18977
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: FA Cup Fourth round

Post by tonyp » 17 Jan 2018, 00:48

stuie wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 22:52
so Leicester it is :comeon:
Surprise surprise!
I see they used the video ref for one of the goals. He gave it onside when the ref had initially given it offside.
Referee Jonathan Moss liaised with video official Mike Jones, who told him Nathan Pond's trailing foot was keeping Iheanacho onside, and the goal was awarded 67 seconds after it hit the back of the net.
Image

That photo was taken just before the ball was played
The BBC video shows he was onside when the ball was played. But I can't watch it or copy it. Only UK viewers.
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 18977
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Posh v Leicester (FA Cup)

Post by tonyp » 17 Jan 2018, 03:52

stuie wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 22:52
so Leicester it is :comeon:
I can see Posh doing their normal thing here and playing well against better sides.
Whether it will be well enough depends on who's fit, who's still with us and who we get in.
As Chompy has pointed out Leicester are hot favourites to win this game.
Leicester's away results in the Premier League this season are
Played 12
Won 3
Drawn 5
Lost 4
Goals for 18
Goals against 18
It really should be a great game if the good Posh turn up.
Leicester's Under 21s play Oldham today in the Checkatrade Trophy.
We play Oldham on Saturday.
Could be interesting.
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 26916
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: FA Cup Fourth round

Post by bristleposh » 17 Jan 2018, 09:59

I've watched it a couple of times, it was just like our goal against Wigan, should have given the advantage if not 100% certain to the attacker, in this instance they appear to have done that, once again the question has to be asked why do only teams playing at home appear to get the advantage of close decisions, had it been at the other end I fear Fleetwood would not have been given the decision.

Edit. Having now seen it on TV I can see the picture above was actually taken after the ball had been played, he was clearly on side
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 18977
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: FA Cup Fourth round

Post by tonyp » 17 Jan 2018, 13:20

bristleposh wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 09:59
I've watched it a couple of times, it was just like our goal against Wigan, should have given the advantage if not 100% certain to the attacker, in this instance they appear to have done that, once again the question has to be asked why do only teams playing at home appear to get the advantage of close decisions, had it been at the other end I fear Fleetwood would not have been given the decision.

Edit. Having now seen it on TV I can see the picture above was actually taken after the ball had been played, he was clearly on side
I presume you're talking about the Leicester goal.
The BBC site shows a still picture showing it to be on side. I haven't seen the video.
The picture I posted was supposed to have been taken before the ball was played but I think you're right it was after.
Being happy never goes out of style

Fox Away
Posts: 2
Joined: 17 Jan 2018, 13:43

Re: FA Cup Fourth round Posh v Leicester

Post by Fox Away » 17 Jan 2018, 13:51

Leicester fan in peace. Looking forward to the game and hope we treat it with a bit more respect than the first match away at Fleetwood. The FA Cup whilst seemingly becoming less important to Premier League clubs is the one I really want us to win and stop being reminded every season that we have been in more finals without winning it than any other club.

Always enjoyed London Road and the terrace, even if the times I have been I have never seen us win. My first ever away game was our 3-0 defeat to you in 1993 as a seven year old. My only real memory of that day was there were streakers on the pitch. Last time I visited was in 2009 in our League 1 battle. I knew we'd lose after seeing the by then geriatric Paul Dickov in the starting line up and the even more senior Barry Hayles coming off the bench.

superposh80
Posts: 5410
Joined: 03 Jul 2012, 19:33

Re: FA Cup Fourth round Posh v Leicester

Post by superposh80 » 17 Jan 2018, 14:00

I would have thought that your lot would be taking the FA Cup seriously this year as there's not much for you to play for in the league...other than money.

The terrace has long gone btw...You'll have a nice new stand to sit in that usually houses about a dozen Posh fans.

Make sure you get in there....and not the main stand.

Fox Away
Posts: 2
Joined: 17 Jan 2018, 13:43

Re: FA Cup Fourth round Posh v Leicester

Post by Fox Away » 17 Jan 2018, 14:10

I really hope we do take it seriously but like many clubs it seems Puel uses it as a bit of useful match fitness for the players on the periphery. Whilst obviously there is talent there they are usually majorly lacking in match fitness and as you probably (or not) saw in both our matches against Fleetwood they are incredibly rusty and disjointed.

Definitely wouldn't doubt your chances of beating us.

User avatar
Chompy
Posts: 5122
Joined: 19 Jul 2005, 16:26

Re: FA Cup Fourth round Posh v Leicester

Post by Chompy » 17 Jan 2018, 14:32

No PL teams, aside from the top six, seem to take the FA Cup any more.

They, like the rest of us, know that one of the big boys will almost certainly win it, and they're better off gunning for as high a finishing position as possible.

By the way, I doni't know if I've mentioned it before, but Leicester are hot favourites for this game.

superposh80
Posts: 5410
Joined: 03 Jul 2012, 19:33

Re: FA Cup Fourth round Posh v Leicester

Post by superposh80 » 17 Jan 2018, 14:44

Fox Away wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 14:10
I really hope we do take it seriously but like many clubs it seems Puel uses it as a bit of useful match fitness for the players on the periphery. Whilst obviously there is talent there they are usually majorly lacking in match fitness and as you probably (or not) saw in both our matches against Fleetwood they are incredibly rusty and disjointed.

Definitely wouldn't doubt your chances of beating us.
We'd have a better chance at your gaff...

We're at our best playing on the break away from home.

Unless it's at Oldham or Rochdale.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests